Northern Teardrop Trailer X North 53 Overland - Semi-Custom Northern Teardrop Trailer Build - Alberta, Canada

you must post a pic of the Vespa
wild guess, are those feed racks in the background ?

In the background, those are spools for O&G. My buddy who owns the welding shop has done thousands of those 20' diameter spools for various clients around the world. He is doing my chassis as a fun project and probably a favour. While I'm paying him, I doubt he is making money.

The Vespa is a 2021 Primavera 50CC Sean Wotherspoon Edition.

Attachments

• IMG_202103310904301.JPG
    IMG_202103310904301.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 14

billiebob

In the background, those are spools for O&G. My buddy who owns the welding shop has done thousands of those 20' diameter spools for various clients around the world. He is doing my chassis as a fun project and probably a favour. While I'm paying him, I doubt he is making money.

The Vespa is a 2021 Primavera 50CC Sean Wotherspoon Edition.
Love the Vespa, I'm at the age where a bicycle is not my favorite toad choice. I'm leaning to something with power and tho there are hundreds of e-bike choices, the options to recharge are not great off grid so Vespa, SuperCub Honda 90 Trail are where I'm thinking.

yep, I have friends like that too.
Edmonton was my home town.

Where I now live, 1500 people, the Village population is smaller than my High School, Ross Shep, 2200 when I graduated.

Last edited:
Now you can see the trailer with the Venomrex 17" VR-602 wheels and 285/75 R17 KO2's. Fenders will be built today. Then chassis and fenders get sent to powder coating and back for me to pick up Thursday!

Attachments

• 169728290_10158138386347666_8443541725712988653_n.jpg
    169728290_10158138386347666_8443541725712988653_n.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 26
Tomorrow is pick-up day, but the trailer is now powder coated and fenders installed. Fenders are all bolt-on so that if damaged they can be removed. Hard to tell in the images, but the fenders taper towards the trailer for a bit more exposure to the aggressive wheels. Damn DOT required side markers on the front take away from the design a bit, oh well.

Attachments

• IMG_202104081410100.jpg
    IMG_202104081410100.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_202104081410101.jpg
    IMG_202104081410101.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_202104081410102.jpg
    IMG_202104081410102.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_202104081410103.jpg
    IMG_202104081410103.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24

talbot

tagged for interest
I'm on a similar path as you and the choices are a lot less than down south.
NTT was on my short list of possible teardrops

question though - are you providing some of the parts/build to NTT, building on your own to their spec, or just following along them building?

looking forward to more info as you go!

tagged for interest
I'm on a similar path as you and the choices are a lot less than down south.
NTT was on my short list of possible teardrops

question though - are you providing some of the parts/build to NTT, building on your own to their spec, or just following along them building?

looking forward to more info as you go!
Thank you for the follow.

My build is not traditional by any means as it relates to NTT.

I designed the chassis and had my friends at Innovative Welding Edmonton build to my specs. I supplied all the suspension, wheels, tail lights and Jack lifts to them. Innovative is behind the scenes and has made chassis for a few well known off-road trailer builders from Alberta.

From there the chassis gets taken to NTT where Dale will build the habitat. The habitat itself is about 85-90% as he offers it but he allowed me to delete all interior cabinets and the chassis. He also helped me source a 12 gallon fresh water tank and some white/amber colour changing lights for all exterior lights.

When we pick it up this fall it will be done other than battery/fridge box at the front and galley.

Over the winter I will build the galley and cabinets myself (I’m a commercial interior designer). Innovative Welding will then build the water tank armour and the fridge/battery box at the front.

I will the design the battery and solar system at that time along with some custom roof rails using machine steel brackets and some black anodized 8020 t-slot aluminum.

Intent is to be ready to hit some USA hot spots in Feb/March 2022 (pending covid and no travel restrictions).

Dale at NTT has been amazing as well as Travis at Innovative Welding. Lucky to be able to work with these guys and their companies.

Chassis all picked-up. Being driving to Norther Teardrop Trailer tomorrow.

Then there will be no progress until Sept/October.

Attachments

• IMG_0648.jpg
    IMG_0648.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0643.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
While not trailer related, our new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon arrived at the end of May after 21 weeks on order. A few quite photos to share.

Photo 2021-05-29, 9 27 45 PM.jpgPhoto 2021-06-06, 8 55 26 PM.jpgPhoto 2021-06-06, 8 59 55 PM.jpg

August 19, 2021

While not much has changed in terms of the trailer since we delivered it to Northern Teardrop (we get it back late October 2021), I have spent some time researching some of the other major components we will need including, batteries, an awning and testing out our new Bluetti EB70.

Bluetti EB70
- As this was available only in the USA until pre-orders in Canada this month (August), I ordered one in the USA and shipped it to family who moved back to Canada, cheaper and quicker.
- There are a few videos online that go more into detail, but for now my observations in a controlled test environment are as follows.
- Overall build quality feels good​
- The unit is a nice weight and size​
- The dual power delivery ports are great for efficiency so my wife and I can charge both our laptops without using any inverters.​
- The AC charger is decently quick, but that fan that always stays on whether the unit is charging or not, or even connected or not is a bit annoying....why???​
- The EB70 has a useable capacity of about 610W, in a controlled test environment it ran our Alpicool CF45 with LG compressor for 55 hours off the battery alone. That is perfect for an extended weekend for us.​
IMG_5100.jpg
SOLAR PANEL
- To charge the yet to be determined trailer batteries and the Bluetti, I settled on a 160W ETFE folding solar panel from Azimuth Solar Products in Kelowna, BC (https://azimuthsolar.ca/product/160w-folding-etfe-solar-panel/
- Price paid at time of order: $261.00cdn + taxes + shipping​
- While Bluetti makes a nice 200w panel, at $600cdn, I struggled paying $2/w for a folding panel. While the Bluetti uses SunPower solar cells, I didn't feel they were worth the extra cost.​
- The 160W from Azimuth Solar Products is a nice unit, Full Specs: https://azimuthsolar.ca/wp-content/...ons-120W-and-160W-folding-solar-briefcase.pdf
- It includes the panel, a cheap PWM controller (won't use), about 36" of wire with Anderson connectors, a bag​
- I think it will pair well with all my battery needs​
- NOTE: I had Azimuth make me an extra long adapter of 20 feet to go from Anderson connector on the solar side to MC4 on the Bluetti side. The Bluetti includes MC4 to DC7909 barrel pin already. This cost about $52CDN + taxes+ shipping. Now I can charge the Bluetti and future trailer batteries in the shade while the solar panel is in the sun (hopefully.​
IMG_5157.jpgIMG_5156.jpgIMG_5158.jpg
AWNING
I met with one of the owners of Gear4Overland this week as well. They are from South Africa and import and distribute QuickPitch. Having looked at various brands of 270 degree awnings: 23Zero, Overland Pros, OVS, Alu-Cab, I was leaning towards OVS based on reviews and cost in Canada. I have not been able to find any Canadian made 270 degree awnings. Then about a week ago I randomly found out about QuickPitch. Then when I went to inquire about availability on their website in Canada, i found out they are distributed out of Edmonton. Small world. After emailing with Abri, I found out they had an awning on their rental overland Tundra. I setup an appointment and was stoked to be able to actually see an awning before purchasing. One of the downsides of almost every other awning was I would have to purchase without seeing the product.​
Seeing the QuickPitch awning + en-suite/privacy room in person was awesome. Very well built products. It was good to see the coverage in person. For our trailer, i will actually order the Left Hand side but mount it on the right side. That way it covers the right side and then swing and cover the entire front of the trailer which is where the fridge will be and stacked wood, etc. Also if I back the jeep up to it, the rear of the Jeep will also be covered which is great. As the trailer is a teardrop, the kitchen will already be partially covered by the rear hatch anyway and I have some additional thoughts for that.​
Here are some pictures. I will be ordering my awning and privacy room soon to ensure we have it for our inaugural trip.​
IMG_5254.jpgIMG_5256.jpgIMG_5251.jpgIMG_5253.jpgIMG_5262.JPG

Last edited:
Well, nearly 11 months after our deposit was put down, fabrication has started on Phase 2, The Habitat. This week, Northern Teardrop Trailer started our floor and walls. We opted for the insulated floor system they offer. In our northern climate, I feel this was a no brainer. The walls area also up and some of the cross-members/stretchers installed as well. See photos below.

Awning & Privacy Room Update:
After further review of our design and the roof rack system we are going to build and diving further into the QuickPitch 270 degree awning proved that this awning just won't work for us:( Really wanted it to. With a long span of 2500mm and a single hinge point which for us would be at the front, far from any structural connection points, we felt the awning would easily twist with its hinge floating in no-man's land. We would have added a support post from the chassis, vertically up towards the awning case and then connect it back to the roof rack, but that was something we didn't like. As such, we are on the hunt again for what will now be a 180 degree awning. Probably Darche as there is now a somewhat local dealer. OVS is an option too, but with no real local dealers, I think Darche will win.

That said, we will still be doing the QuickPitch Ensuite in the metal box. Details to come, but this will be on on a hinge, mounted to our custom 80/20 roof rack and be near the front of the trailer on the driver's side along with the WaterPort 3.8gal adjacent to it.

More updates to come between now and November 6th when we travel to Salmo, BC to pick up the trailer so Phase 3, The Galley & Roof Rack can commence.

IMG_7164.JPGIMG_7165.JPG

Last edited:
Well, Phase 2 is done. Northern Teardrop Trailer sent me a photo of the final build. Pick-up Nov 6, 2021. From there Phase 3 will begin.

Phase 3 includes:
- 12V wiring
- Battery/Fridge box at the front
- Vinyl wrap to white roof
- DIY 80/20 Roof Rack including brackets for awning & privacy room
- Install of the QuickPitch En-Suite in metal box on swing-out locking hinge
- Install of Darche 180 awning
- Galley Cabinet Fabrication

IMG-0593.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members