Nomad 12 by WeeRoll Trailer Build Project

karlfunk

Been lurking on the site for a while now. So many good ideas and info.

After a 10000 mile road trip around the US with our tent and the sleeping/storage arrangement I build for our 2.5L Subaru Outback (2700lb towing rating), we decided to do a lightweight trailer that was self-contained in order to stay at places that require it. Not planning on ever taking it to some of the extreme spots many of you do. We are big into hiking the tough bits on our own two legs, so like the idea of dropping off the trailer and driving on to trailheads.

We tried for a year and a half to place an order for a Trail Marker (similar to Obsessed's). Eventually gave up. Thought about a Safari Condo, but the cult that surrounds that product is bizarre. Eventually settled on making this a partial DIY project and ordered a WeeRoll Silver Moon (now called the Nomad 12).

WeeRoll are built in Ocala, Florida, with an aluminum frame, floor, studs, sheeting. The walls are 1" thick with a pretty basic foam in there. Not expecting the insulation to be all that impressive, but once built out, with my wife and dog, plus a heater, I think we will manage fine in the winter.

We are not doing AC so wanted very good air flow for the summer. We sent WeeRoll 5 windows and a door from Tern Overland. It has a MaxxFan 7500k in the roof.

Our goal is to keep it as light as possible. Starting off at 1625lb with a tongue weight of 155lb.

Here is how it looks today in our driveway. Along with some views of the SketchUp plans I have done for the build.

I will go more into our experience with WeeRoll in a subsequent post.

- Karl

IMG_0985 Large.jpeg
IMG_0986 Large.jpegIMG_0987 Large.jpegIMG_0988 Large.jpegIMG_0989 Large.jpegWR FR.pngWR FL.pngWR BR.pngWR BL.png

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Looks like an awesome starting point for a build-out. I really like the aluminium-everything and choice of windows. Your layout has a lot of overlap with what I've got planned for my own build, especially the washroom and kitchen areas (borderline identical)!

DFNDER

I’m confused. Where’s the bed? Does that platform that looks bed sized come down or something?

karlfunk

I’m confused. Where’s the bed? Does that platform that looks bed sized come down or something?

Correct. Elevator bed.

All of the retail versions are quite heavy and prohibitively expensive. I have seen some interesting solutions with linear actuators and even modified adjustable height desks. Ours will be simpler and manual. Might involve an air strut or some kind of reverse purchase on a spring to balance the load and make it easy to move up and down on the rails. I have several linear rail based or even sail track based notions for the rails. What I cannot tell you at this stage is exactly how it will work!

The bed frame itself is being made from 2040 aluminum extrusion. The platform will either be some kind of wood (6mm bamboo?) or I will make a carbon/foam platform.

We have ended up with a full mattress. Big enough for both of us and the dog (who may get kicked out in the summer to sleep in her bed underneath.

In the low (sleeping) position the bed will sit on top of the aft settee seat. The back of that seat will fold down. This will allow one of us to still use the other settee seat and table while the other is napping.

Always looking for clever solutions if anyone has some!

- Karl

karlfunk

Looks like an awesome starting point for a build-out. I really like the aluminium-everything and choice of windows. Your layout has a lot of overlap with what I've got planned for my own build, especially the washroom and kitchen areas (borderline identical)!

I have been following your build. Quite the undertaking but looking great! Also planning on using an LP instant hot water heater and dealing with exhaust via fans and ventilation. Which unit are you using?

- Karl

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
I have been following your build. Quite the undertaking but looking great! Also planning on using an LP instant hot water heater and dealing with exhaust via fans and ventilation. Which unit are you using?

- Karl

I've got the "Camplux Propane Tankless Water Heater 5L, Camping Water Heaters, Grey AY132G" unit; it's easily found on Amazon. Full disclosure: I haven't actually used it yet, as I'm still fairly far away from that point.

By the way, if you do decide on a set of linear actuators for the bed, please share a link or part number. I'll need a set soon enough, too.

karlfunk

With the busy part of the sailing season upon me I have not made much progress on the trailer. Lots of triple measurements and parts accumulation. Will have the rest of the aluminum extrusion, most of the plumbing, and some of the propane system waiting for me when I get home. Writing this from an airport right now!

So far we have put down 3mm of EVA foam as a “subfloor” and started cutting and installing the cabinetry framing.

The bulk of the electronic components are moving from under the settee to unused space behind water jugs.

My design for the shower pan is making progress. Just need to decide what to build it out of.

Concept for a fridge slide has proven effective and needs to be properly built as well.

Every little part is going into a weight sheet with totals and placements. Still dreaming to end up with something reasonable for a very small SUV.

IMG_1208.jpeg

IMG_1206.jpegIMG_1207.jpeg70009083123__D9BD289C-5D7E-4868-95AF-5073F78E3C50.jpegRenderedImage.jpegScreenshot 2023-03-24 at 10.24.35 AM.jpeg

karlfunk

Making some progress on this week home.

The lifting bed system is coming together pretty well. I ordered some UHMW bar stock and built the sliders/guides from that. The lifting itself is done with rope and small blocks I had around. Planning to have the purchase terminate in the back of the wardrobe. Push the clothing out of the way and pull on a handle to lift the bed. Cam cleat to hold it up (with some kind of secure backup). Sitting on stops at the bottom.

The cabinetry frames are almost complete. Just need more gussets to show up for the extrusions.

I visited a sign shop today and checked out some aluminum composite panels for the cabinetry. It will be Alupanel and/or Alumalite. Will still plan on bamboo plywood for cabinet doors.

I had a sheet of 3/4" plywood in the way so decided to mock-up a countertop. Still thinking I will make the real one from carbon with a foam core. It will look neat and weight is still king for us at this stage.

44F76B60-C077-4D93-B6C8-BE941ECF2C39.jpeg70302977367__F5A7BC90-D908-43D6-A5E2-A12093EF67AA.jpeg70302978763__B069211D-310A-413E-8A11-7F6E42873EEB.jpeg70302981560__C0A83504-A709-4447-BF05-B8C5193563E1.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior