Next truck

85_Ranger4x4

I have been drooling over 14-16 Power Wagons. Factory winch, lockers front and rear, front sway bar disconnects, high teens mpg, 3/4 ton beef, respectable payload and towing. And they seem to cost about the same used as a similar XLT or FX4 F-150.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I have been drooling over 14-16 Power Wagons. Factory winch, lockers front and rear, front sway bar disconnects, high teens mpg, 3/4 ton beef, respectable payload and towing. And they seem to cost about the same used as a similar XLT or FX4 F-150.
I thought they were like mid teens? I think I’m getting high teens in my 5.0l F150. High teens in a power wagon would have me thinking of one. Or in a few years a gas tremor? My thinking being that the 10 speed auto in a Tremor may keep fuel mileage close to what I’m getting now.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
High teens from a Power Wagon? :rolleyes: Call me skeptical.

I mean, sure, I was able to get 18.5 MPG on my Suburban. ONCE. And that was on a 450 mile round trip on mountain roads with no stops, no traffic, and almost nothing in the truck (on the way up, nothing, on the way back a motorcycle sidecar that probably weighed 100lbs total.)

But that didn't budge the needle on the 'average' MPG of about 12.

Which is what I'm guessing a PW would get, on a good day. With stock tires, no lift and no weight in the bed.

And before someone says "I totally know someone who regularly got 25mpg on his PW" keep in mind that people lie about MPG all the time. Mostly they lie to themselves because when fuel prices spike they hate to admit they bought a gas pig.

Kaisen

Explorer

I'd choose a Power Wagon way before a F150, for overlanding. Daily? Might change that. It really depends on mix of use. For most guys, they're dailying their truck 320 days a year, and getting out there 45 days a year. May change the importance of the metrics.

The fuel savings between a Power Wagon and F150 largely disappear when you add bigger tires, gearing, and heavy gear to your F150 and take it out on an adventure. Might not be exactly the same, but the cost difference in fuel won't be much in the big picture.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'd choose a Power Wagon way before a F150, for overlanding. Daily? Might change that. It really depends on mix of use. For most guys, they're dailying their truck 320 days a year, and getting out there 45 days a year. May change the importance of the metrics.
I would agree with that. And I fit that bill. Which is why I went 1/2 ton vs 3/4.

A tremor appeals to me a little more than a power wagon because a power wagon has the same payload as my 1/2 ton anyway.

Kaisen

Explorer
I would agree with that. And I fit that bill. Which is why I went 1/2 ton vs 3/4.

A tremor appeals to me a little more than a power wagon because a power wagon has the same payload as my 1/2 ton anyway.

Well, if you're talking brand new (which is WAY more than the $20K metric here) that new 7.3L V8 gasser with the 10 speed in the Tremor is far superior to the Power Wagon's drivetrain. I'd love to have one

phsycle

Adventurer
Lots of good thoughts. Thanks.

I like the durability of 3/4 tons. I like that era Chevy 2500’s. Do all 2500HD’s have 6L90e and full-floating axles? And the locker? How can I tell?

I will be going gas. No need or want for diesel. I do no towing and frankly, don’t want to deal with the maintenance and upkeep of a diesel. If I were more heavily laden and towing more, I’d definitely look at one.

That all said, I don’t know if what I need or want merits a 3/4 ton. I think it’s overkill. Good 1/2 ton should do the job while keeping the ride comfortable for everyday driving and light load campouts. While keeping the (highway) MPG tolerable. Stock, I’d think the F150 with any engine, or the Silverado 5.3 should get close to 20, if not more. My father has a Tahoe with the 5.3 and it gets 22 highway. Not bad.

Powerwagon would be nice. But I’m a realist. Venturing around in my Tacoma, I hardly ever used the locker or other traction gizmos. I won’t be taking a full-size through the same trails so while f&r lockers, swaybar disco, etc is what I would have dreamed about a few years ago, it’s not that important to me now. I rate dependability, MPG, and ride comfort over Offroad prowess. All trucks will get me to where I want to go. A rear locker would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

Suburbans. Always loved them. But looking for a truck with an open bed. Just better for my uses.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Well, if you're talking brand new (which is WAY more than the $20K metric here) that new 7.3L V8 gasser with the 10 speed in the Tremor is far superior to the Power Wagon's drivetrain. I'd love to have one
No, I personally am years away from replacing my truck. So I think there will be used options by then. But, they’d still be more than 20 grand I’m sure.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Lots of good thoughts. Thanks.

I like the durability of 3/4 tons. I like that era Chevy 2500’s. Do all 2500HD’s have 6L90e and full-floating axles? And the locker? How can I tell?

I will be going gas. No need or want for diesel. I do no towing and frankly, don’t want to deal with the maintenance and upkeep of a diesel. If I were more heavily laden and towing more, I’d definitely look at one.

That all said, I don’t know if what I need or want merits a 3/4 ton. I think it’s overkill. Good 1/2 ton should do the job while keeping the ride comfortable for everyday driving and light load campouts. While keeping the (highway) MPG tolerable. Stock, I’d think the F150 with any engine, or the Silverado 5.3 should get close to 20, if not more. My father has a Tahoe with the 5.3 and it gets 22 highway. Not bad.

Powerwagon would be nice. But I’m a realist. Venturing around in my Tacoma, I hardly ever used the locker or other traction gizmos. I won’t be taking a full-size through the same trails so while f&r lockers, swaybar disco, etc is what I would have dreamed about a few years ago, it’s not that important to me now. I rate dependability, MPG, and ride comfort over Offroad prowess. All trucks will get me to where I want to go. A rear locker would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

Suburbans. Always loved them. But looking for a truck with an open bed. Just better for my uses.
Check the glove box. If there is a code that says G80, you have the locking diff.

85_Ranger4x4

High teens from a Power Wagon? :rolleyes: Call me skeptical.

I mean, sure, I was able to get 18.5 MPG on my Suburban. ONCE. And that was on a 450 mile round trip on mountain roads with no stops, no traffic, and almost nothing in the truck (on the way up, nothing, on the way back a motorcycle sidecar that probably weighed 100lbs total.)

But that didn't budge the needle on the 'average' MPG of about 12.

Which is what I'm guessing a PW would get, on a good day. With stock tires, no lift and no weight in the bed.

And before someone says "I totally know someone who regularly got 25mpg on his PW" keep in mind that people lie about MPG all the time. Mostly they lie to themselves because when fuel prices spike they hate to admit they bought a gas pig.

It is a concern for me and since it a 3/4 ton there is no official rating to even spitball off of.

But researching has kinda alluded that going from 4.56 gears to 4.10’s and MDS really helped in ‘14. Most are saying around 17mpg empty on the highway on stock rubber once they are broke in and the computer has dialed things in which is what my F-150 gets... so not really a big deal if that is true.

Research is ongoing, I just got on this kick last week.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
I would have an honest look at an F-250 with a 6.2 Gas. It won't get the miles but the parts are everywhere, and they are pretty dang reliable.

Another dark horse in this race is an F-150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost. Also proving to be relatively reliable, smaller and lighter, and get killer mileage.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
My opinion for longevity and reliability:

2007-2014 Silverado/Sierra Crew Short 2500HD 4x4
Standard 6.0L gas / 6L90e / AAM 10.5" full-floater with common factory G80 locker

You've given zero reason to buy a half ton
That’s what I have. 13-14mpg.

Can run 34's with no lift, with the correct backspacing etc.

Last edited:

XJLI

Adventurer
The newest, nicest Ford or Chevy/GMC 1/2 ton you can afford; in whatever flavor butters your biscuit. Just level the truck, a try not to get crazy with wild tires. A mild AT or beefy highway rib, keep your tires as skinny as stock or close to it (275-60 or 65s on 20s, for example).. even better if they're P-rated. You'll still be able to kiss 20 if you drive easy and keep dont need to do over 75 on the highway. The G80 in the GM trucks works fine for fire roads and mild stuff, the Ford has a real e-locker.

If you don't need to tow or haul anything large or frequently, and just want a 'lifestyle' truck without downsizing to a midsize like a Tacoma; everything else is just fodder. My father in law's 2016 1500 Chevy completely stock gets 24 highway regularly. All my buddies have newer Chevy 1/2s and they get ~18-20 highway with a level/tires.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I would have an honest look at an F-250 with a 6.2 Gas. It won't get the miles but the parts are everywhere, and they are pretty dang reliable.

Another dark horse in this race is an F-150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost. Also proving to be relatively reliable, smaller and lighter, and get killer mileage.
I have an F150 with the 2.7. I get 18mpg all day with a very heavy foot. Drove to Flagstaff from San Diego and back and was getting high 20's going a little over 80mph. It's a great little engine and torque is pretty awesome. I wonder how an engine like that would last tho... I only leased my truck.

Speaking of new truck, my lease is up July 1. I'm in the same boat as the OP except my price range is a little higher. I will either go with a lease return/used F150 or a slightly used F250. Both FX4.

phsycle

Adventurer
Yeah, if I were going 3/4 ton, Ford 6.2 would definitely be in the mix. Lots to like.

But again, not quite getting why I’d need a 3/4 ton. Maybe I’m missing something.

I’ve actually even thought a 3.5/3.7 N/A V6 in the Ford (or 4.6 in the GM—are those any good?) wouldn’t be too bad either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles