New (to me) Samurai

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
I love my Zuk. It's been sitting for quite a while with only occasional use just to keep it healthy. Saturday I took it out for a few hundred miles of dirt, touring the Flint Hills with the Konza Overland group. It was a beautiful cool day with a tamed wind. Sunny in the morning but it eventually turned to rain by dinner time. The rain was actually welcome to knock some of the mud off our rigs.

Pix from the trip...

https://flic.kr/s/aHskMqwSpm

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Getting excited for this weekend. Doing the Flex 4 Food, in Wichita. This year we'll have a section dedicated to overlanding, several folks from Konza Overland will be there with their rigs, as well as some CORA members. I'll have my Forester there with some of the camping setup (the Zuk is down with some sever brake issues)

If you happen to be in Wichita this Sunday, swing by When Pigs Fly BBQ near Ridge and Central between 11 and 3. Bring a donation of canned food, because the whole point of the event is to fight hunger in Wichita (cash donations accepted as well) and check out the rigs there.
Last year we had a Ford Model A nearly max out the RTI ramp!!!

More event details!!!
http://www.christianoffroad.com/f4f2017.pdf

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
After ripping off the tow bar last year, i haven't been set up to tow anything. I finally came up with a decent plan and put it into action, just in time to go out and have some camping fun with friends.

I had this HF bumper plate receiver hitch welded to the bottom of my existing bumper.
20170723_185919 by Tim, on Flickr

A friend took care of the burning duties since his welder is considerably bigger than mine. Size matters in some things.
20170723_183853 by Tim, on Flickr

I sleeved the rear cross member with this beefy piece of scrap.
2017-07-31_11-02-50 by Tim, on Flickr

Then built 1/4" plates that go around the front of the tubing and bolt to the outside of the bumper. The bottom is bolted to the frame with 4 1/2" grade 8 bolts.

The rear bumper and tie in are now stronger than the axles.

So I loaded up and headed out for a car show and camping after... Had to test things out on the RTI ramp at the show.

20170729_181245 by Tim, on Flickr

The Suzuki scored 3rd place on the ramp with a 962.9. It was beaten only by the white blazer behind the booth, and a rock buggy that could have easily kept going up the ramp if it had been longer.

More pix of the RTI ramp action.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1vyZ8U

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Now that I've got the the towing all figured out... I need to work on what I'm dragging behind me.

20170805_140915 by Tim, on Flickr

Nothing elaborate... just something enclosed to store camp gear, bikes and equipment, and occasionally sleep in.

The topper is easily removed so the trailer can be used for utility purposes.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Thanks!

As the trailer build progresses, the Zuk is feeling a bit left out and complaining about it. It's developed some exhaust issues and the rust is spreading. I'd like to get the trailer to a solid point where I can start using it, then shift focus back to the poor neglected Zuk. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne