New must-have Dutch oven accessory?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Is it just the kickstand that doesn't fit?

You can fit 2 of the 3 big items (any two of charcoal holder, grill, and main tripod), and the kickstand, but not all four pieces. The problem is the depth, since the the pieces don't really nest and each ends up a couple of inches tall.

As it stands, probably not the end of the world - I'll carry the main tripod and kickstand inside the DO, and the grill and charcoal holder (possibly) inside my firepot (galvanized feed pan that I use as a DO table and grill).

EDIT: See my post on next page - with correct clocking the grill DOES nest with the tripod.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Lid-as-griddle soft of a fail. :(

OK, like a lot of people, I was excited by the "multitasker" nature of this thing. I went out this weekend, intentionally leaving a lot of other gear behind in an effort to try out the Campmaid stuff in a lot of different configurations.

One of the configurations that Campmaid pitched was to grab the DO lid, then flip everything over and use the charcoal holder underneath it to turn the lid into a dished griddle. I've used the lid as a griddle in a campfire in the past, and one of the issues there was always getting it correctly propped up and level so that it wouldn't tip over or have your pancake batter or eggs running off the side, so this seemed like a great solution.

However, I've found my first pass to be very less than satisfying. I used the coal holder, nearly full (~26 briquettes), underneath the lid for my 14" DO. Even with the holder right up under the lid (limited by the lid's handle), I couldn't get the lid hot enough to even caramelize sliced onions, let alone brown some sausages. Yes, there was a slight breeze, but it was also noon on a 90°+ day in the desert, so this was a big surprise for me. Even with constant fanning and blowing on the coals to get them really glowing, it just didn't get very hot.
IMG_20160227_124643.jpg

I suspect the problem is the large surface area and mass of the 14" lid - it would take a lot of calories to get that big hunk of iron up to temperature, and it's got a bit too much surface area so it is also radiating some of that heat back out.

This may work better with a standard 10" or 12" lid. In either case - pack that charcoal holder full, you're going to need every calorie you can muster.

Other findings:
* The grill is also billed as usable as a trivet - the legs of the 14" oven will just barely grab the edges of this - and getting everything lined up perfectly is tricky with a raging-hot oven full of chili. Better stick to the main stand for the larger ovens (slightly less convenient if you're in a dutch-oven competition with crowded service tables - luckily the wood table tops were deemed "sacrificial".)

* The grill is smallish, and doesn't have much in the way of provisions to keep food from going off the edge, so turn your items with tongs, not a spatula, if possible.

* The main tripod stand itself is very sturdy and well built. No compunctions about resting a fully loaded 14" oven on top.

* As I mentioned upthread, the spring-loaded handle-bit is easily removable - I'm going to experiment with a couple of single-burner stoves to see if any are a good height-match to let them slide under the tripod - could be a way to more safely use a DO or lid with a gas heat source.

* The kickstand lid lifter isn't the best lid lifter out there, but it is the most compact since it disassembles. Easily better than the hook-and-Tee bent iron lid lifters, and the fact that you can use it as a "stand" with a smaller lid is a definite plus.

Hope that helps!

huachuca

Adventurer
Thanks for such detailed reviews Herbie. Some of the weaknesses you've noted were what I'd hoped would be positives.

Scoutman

Explorer
* As I mentioned upthread, the spring-loaded handle-bit is easily removable - I'm going to experiment with a couple of single-burner stoves to see if any are a good height-match to let them slide under the tripod - could be a way to more safely use a DO or lid with a gas heat source.

I'm very interested in this as well. Thanks for posting your initial thoughts.

Scoutman

Explorer
So my original order was placed on Jan 4 with the item available on prime and the total being $68. Now if you go to that item it's $91.99 and free prime shipping when it becomes available which could be anytime. I'm curious to see how this one pans out.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I just cancelled my Amazon order and ordered through the Camp Maid site.
They're having a sale, btw.
CampMaid sent it via FedEx Home Delivery and they tried to deliver it to my office on Saturday.
They'll try again tomorrow.
They're website had a specific box to check for residential or commercial delivery ----- should've gone on the Ground delivery truck.
Oh well. Still not here.

Scoutman

Explorer
CampMaid sent it via FedEx Home Delivery and they tried to deliver it to my office on Saturday.
They'll try again tomorrow.
They're website had a specific box to check for residential or commercial delivery ----- should've gone on the Ground delivery truck.
Oh well. Still not here.

Lol, mine shows that it was delivered today. :wings: Need to see what I have to cook on it now. I did a peach cobbler in the 10" DO last night on the back patio.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Lol, mine shows that it was delivered today. :wings: Need to see what I have to cook on it now. I did a peach cobbler in the 10" DO last night on the back patio.
Got mine late yesterday ----- first use for it will be pizza via the inverted lid method.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
That pizza looks incredible.
Thanks. Tasted good too...

They sent me a share code for a discount.

CampMaid said:
Your friends get 5% off their purchase from this special friend referral + free shipping + free water bottle!

*Offer only valid for purchases made on CampMaid.com
Dang. I didn't get free shipping or a water bottle.

I like the product though. Easy and versatile.

Brewtus

Adventurer
Just ordered the 5 piece kit. I actually haven't gotten around to getting my own DO yet. Usually someone else has one. Will post up with a review when I get a chance to use it.

It seems like this is more of a solo or two person setup; unless you're just going to do a big pot of chili or stew. Looking at getting a MoJo Griddle or building something similar for group cooking.

Brewtus

Adventurer
Can already say that you should definitely order directly from CampMaid. Order has already shipped with tracking and should be here by Friday.

damon1272

Observer
Picked one of these up on my trip to Phoenix. Had a fifty dollar gift cert so I have a whole 6 bucks into it. Overall I think it is a quality product from initial out of the box look at it. It fits well into a 12" dutch oven. Every thing appears to be fairly sturdy. Kind of interesting you can use the lids as a frying pan. Out of the box I am pleased. Will fire it up this weekend and give it a shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier