New kid on the block! AWD Transit with composite camper AEONrv

Jonnyo

Observer
The difference between having that door or just a curtain (like we have) must be huge! Jim made the right call with those!!!!
Although our camper part is 100% fine, the driverscab is getting huge amounts of condensation. Even with insulated window blinds and an additional thermal blanket we had a solid sheet of ice on the INSIDE of the drivers cab this past weekend. Driving me crazy! As a result you have water running behind the dash etc.

this is a hard one for a small unit like a Transit. Having the 2 front seat swivelling create such a bigger lounging room in already very small unit. To cut it off and put a door make things a lot smaller. I would think we are only 1 ''super curtain'' away from having the best of both world....access to the front to make the insider bigger and closing it at night. I m talking a curtain that is 2-3 inch thick like a expetition sleeping bag made of good insulated material that would do ''as well'' as a composite panel.

The other aspect with something like the Aeon is the passenger at the back are isolated from the driver at the front...in many case...it might be fun to have everyone connected together on long road trip during the driving period.

never a easy choice...

Last edited:

gdaut

Yep, everything is a compromise. In warm weather I think an open cabin-to-cab interface has a lot of advantages, but in cold weather being able to close off the cabin would be a big advantage. Maybe some sort of accordion door that opens wide, but seals tight. Would be hard to have it be thin enough to work and thick enough to be insulated. And it would add complexity and expense. Everything is a compromise.

skirunman

Yep, everything is a compromise. In warm weather I think an open cabin-to-cab interface has a lot of advantages, but in cold weather being able to close off the cabin would be a big advantage. Maybe some sort of accordion door that opens wide, but seals tight. Would be hard to have it be thin enough to work and thick enough to be insulated. And it would add complexity and expense. Everything is a compromise.

In hot weather with the door closed we can run AC off batteries & solar constantly with almost no thought to power issues so a game changer in the summer as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jonnyo

Observer
In hot weather with the door closed we can run AC off batteries & solar constantly with almost no thought to power issues so a game changer in the summer as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

while driving in hot weather, can you run the mini split for the rear passenger?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
this is a hard one for a small unit like a Transit. Having the 2 front seat swivelling create such a bigger lounging room in already very small unit. To cut it off and put a door make things a lot smaller. I would think we are only 1 ''super curtain'' away from having the best of both world....access to the front to make the insider bigger and closing it at night. I m talking a curtain that is 2-3 inch thick like a expetition sleeping bag made of good insulated material that would do ''as well'' as a composite panel.

The other aspect with something like the Aeon is the passenger at the back are isolated from the driver at the front...in many case...it might be fun to have everyone connected together on long road trip during the driving period.

never a easy choice...

Just got back from another overnight trip to the ski hill. I tried very hard to make the drivers cab usable with the swivel passenger seat. I had the insulated window covers up (makes a very dark space) and the heater blasting into the front. It was simply too cold. The problem with a drivers cab is that you can’t insulate it. Walking around the front in socks? Forget about. The cold surfaces radiate so much cold it was not comfortable. At one point my wife and I where arguing about turning off the heater. She was smoked out in the camper and I was freezing my butt off in the front. I would really like to know how “normal” van people do it. In any case, I closed the ~1/4” insulated curtain and retreaded to the Camper portion.

simple

Adventurer
We built out a new sprinter a couple years ago with swivel seats and 1/4' insulated window covers. We camped in weather in the low 20's and It wasn't T-shirt temp inside. It was more functional with the swivel seats and worth the trade off to hang out inside with a down jacket and slippers.

I guess the equation comes down to how much cold weather camping someone is going to be doing. Every weekend during the ski season versus once a month year round.

Closed box and open cabin with curtain are both great setups with their own inherent trade offs. It wouldn't take too much to design the vehicle with a convertible partition so the user could decide the configuration that they want. It could be done with a single composite panel with finished edge and some type of seal. It could be screwed in place or utilize some type of clamping system.

Last edited:

Steve_382

I don't know why you couldn't design the van so that it could be configured with a removable wall for winter and just leave it at home for most of the year. We camped in our modestly insulated 1990 Chevy van in Aspen when the temp was close to zero just using a 1,000 watt ceramic heater. Wasn't great, but we survived.

Jonnyo

Observer
Just got back from another overnight trip to the ski hill. I tried very hard to make the drivers cab usable with the swivel passenger seat. I had the insulated window covers up (makes a very dark space) and the heater blasting into the front. It was simply too cold. The problem with a drivers cab is that you can’t insulate it. Walking around the front in socks? Forget about. The cold surfaces radiate so much cold it was not comfortable. At one point my wife and I where arguing about turning off the heater. She was smoked out in the camper and I was freezing my butt off in the front. I would really like to know how “normal” van people do it. In any case, I closed the ~1/4” insulated curtain and retreaded to the Camper portion.

i share many of the same experience as you...sitting at the front in cold winter camping in banff, i can feel the cold from wherewhere. that is a time of the year where you need to close up the front...there is no other way around. But there is another 8-9months in the year were this isnt a issue at all. That s premium space. Anyway, there is never a perfect camper...everyone as different needs and priority. I m just so impress with all the euro camper using the transit and mercedes platform...

Davidalanhart

Can the roof support a rack, people, gear?

if so, any plans for ladders, etc,
Roof is almost fully covered with adhesive-style 700W solar panels or vent fan or skylight. There is a roof rack option available in 2023, not yet ready when I picked mine up. I will return later this fall to get it installed.
Jim has said no plans for a ladder, as one can access the roof via the large skylight above the bed for cleaning solar panels, or loading items on the future rack.

adam88

Explorer
Damn, went to their site today and saw the price increased from $199k to $219k. I guess inflation messes with everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles