New hinge kits for your FlipPac will be available shortly from Sway-A-Way

sturgil

Are these the instructions included with the hinges or did you make them? Just curious. I ordered the torsion bar when they first came out 2 years ago, but I have yet to replace it. I tried to loosen the bolts on my hinges years ago to do an adjustment to the lid and they felt like they were frozen. Without a replacement option, I didn’t want to screw myself if I snapped the bolts. Did you have any issues with the bolts being stuck?

I found the instructions in another thread, I think they were from flippac originally.

Its important to not loosen the hinge bolts while the torsion bar is under pressure. all the adjusting has to happen when the top is half open or with no torsion bar attached. That being said, I did bust one of the old bolts. The old hinges had just enough extra space to negotiate it out (almost had to drill it). Depending on rust, each hinge was a different degree of cemented in there.

Also, sway-away forgot to include 2/3rds of the hardware but fairly easy stainless bolts to find

I know many of us would like to know who made the tents for FlipPac. I made some calls myself, but was a dead end... someone had some leads, but I never did hear anything definitive.

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
I know many of us would like to know who made the tents for FlipPac. I made some calls myself, but was a dead end... someone had some leads, but I never did hear anything definitive.

I emailed every tent manufacturer in the US I could find a few months ago and have a company that will do it if someone is willing to send their tent in. I sold my flippac so I no longer can.

Doc187

Observer
I sent them an email. I'm not too far from them so I could take the truck to them. If it works out a start a new thread.

Rsharries

I am just returning from a 3 week Baja trip where the torsion bar failed on the next to last night. Bummer, but I suppose it could have been much worse if earlier in the trip. I am ordering up a Sway-Away replacement bar and hinges, and hoping to perform the install, if not too onerous. I am curious to gain any advice on hinge removal from those that have performed this task. Can I leave the mattress installed when removing the OEM hinges? Can the broken torsion bar be removed while the flippac lid is in a closed position? Any information to made this task simplified will be appreciated. Thanks for all this information and effort with Sway Away.

Check previous posts and there should be all the info you need.... I think the instructions are posted as well. I believe Sway-A-Way will also provide instructions.

As per your specifics, it is way easier to remove the bedding/mattress for access to the hinge bolts and the reduced weight when keeping it at a 90 degree open for bar install/removal.

I have plans to do a video, but have not had time yet... but there is plenty of info out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior