New GM Medium Duty trucks. available with 4x4.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Sure looks similar to me.

Needs a tummy tuck to get those fuel tanks up for high center clearance..

Clutch

<---Pass
Funny that the 3/4-1 ton crowd "needs" 1000 ft/lbs of TQ...and the medium duties only get 700.

cv-commercial-grade-3.jpg

jkam

nomadic man
I went over to the International site and built a truck. No prices as you need to get a quote.
But, I could see how the order process worked and what you can get.
Promising, hope they get them out soon, I want to see one in person.

gtbensley

Explorer
I would imagine we will see the new 6.6 gas motor in these as well. I am pumped that GM has come back out with a real work truck (no personal interest though).

locrwln

Expedition Leader
They are similar because they are the same trucks minus the grill. I built an International just to see, and I like that you can black out that big grill, but they don't let you get into the weeds on the options. I don't see the fuel tanks hanging as low as the transfer case crossmember. I like them. Not in the market, but I will be interested to see how they do.

Jack

Dalko43

Explorer
definitely needs, it makes a huge difference towing

It's a want, not a need.

The torque ratings on these newer 3/4 ton pickup are starting to exceed the ratings of those diesel engines found in box trucks and the HD (Ram 4500/500 and Ford F-450/550) chassis trucks.

You don't need 900lb-ft of torque to tow a travel trailer. With a little less torque, but lower gearing, the chassis variants of these pickups tow far heavier loads all the time without any drama.

If an OEM offered a derated commercial engine for consumer use, I'd take it in a heartbeat over the current offerings.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
It's a want, not a need.

The torque ratings on these newer 3/4 ton pickup are starting to exceed the ratings of those diesel engines found in box trucks and the HD (Ram 4500/500 and Ford F-450/550) chassis trucks.

You don't need 900lb-ft of torque to tow a travel trailer. With a little less torque, but lower gearing, the chassis variants of these pickups tow far heavier loads all the time without any drama.

If an OEM offered a derated commercial engine for consumer use, I'd take it in a heartbeat over the current offerings.
I had a 2011de-rated durmax in a 1 ton cab chassis 4x4. It cost the same and offered zero benefit in the MPG dept. Not sure what the advantage to it was, it would start to get warm pretty quick pulling 15k up hill, my Rams or Ford never did that.

Clutch

<---Pass
I had a 2011de-rated durmax in a 1 ton cab chassis 4x4. It cost the same and offered zero benefit in the MPG dept. Not sure what the advantage to it was, it would start to get warm pretty quick pulling 15k up hill, my Rams or Ford never did that.

In some heavy equipment, they'll use the same block over a range of different applications. Supposedly the lower hp/tq specced engines will last longer. heavier the machine, the more they bump up the hp/tq specs.

At least that is what my bud who works at Caterpillar was telling me. Probably just splitting hairs though.

https://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/equipment/dozers.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior