New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

Blaise

IMG_4045.JPG

65 series tire. Want pics from Moab? SWCO? Montana? WA? OR? Death Valley?

You're preaching for excess capability that does nothing except make highway driving needlessly sloppy. And yeah, for real, why are we bashing the artisitic-type folk who work at JLR? Those same folks work at GM, Ford, FCA, toyota.... are you really this closed minded?

Last edited:

Blaise

How many more miles do I need to do without being stuck, turned around, or getting a flat? 100k? 200k?

I get this crap all the time from the local toyota crew. 'I guess you can take your stock truck there, but I'd rather be fully locked on 35"s with rock rails and a 4" lift'

Sure, you can do that. I guess you can also wear an N95 while you're inside your car and put a condom on before you enter the bar. Just in case.

Carson G

LR4: Nearly the same size but larger in every critical dimension
LR4 cargo area is vastly more practical and larger

what does this even mean? You're making my arguments for me.
Yeah I agree the cargo space is smaller I’ve seen both in person and I’ve had a LR3 since new. It’s my biggest issue with the Defender. My point about wheel size is the fact that no Land Rover in the US since the LR3 has had the option of anything smaller than a 19’. My point being it’s a step in the right direction. The LR4 could not fit 18’s stock in the US. The Defender lost cargo space primarily due to shortening up the back to increase the departure angle from a off road stand point it’s a okay compromise from a hauling perspective it’s annoying.

Edit had my off road angle names mixed up. Lol ?

Last edited:

Carson G

Their appearance is common of trendy designers, which is fine. You're obviously keen on manufacturing outrage instead of focusing on the true and obvious message, which is these are they wrong people for the job, not that these people are wrong. They're typical of JLR 2020 corporate luxury culture, who's out of touch and misplaced priorities result in a unison wank off to Apple's precious design principals. That's fine in coddled Range Rover bubble producing products for delicate dandies, but to apply that to the one vehicle that most represented the opposite of such vain and aesthetic focus, is just incredibly contrary to any honesty. They hire these people that obviously have zero experience in any related industry or service that Defender historically served. It's no surprise then that resulting product is materially only an incremental improvement over the LR4. It's the continuation of an existing line because it's a continuation of the existing corporate culture, process, and staff. Look at how much focus was spent on considering the "grain" of materials, or the amount of aluminum in the paint, how many types of fabric make a seat bottom, or how an applique square balances the overall dimensions. If there's one civilian vehicle in the world where those considerations deserve a resounding "who ************** cares?", it was a Defender.
The interior stuff is a actually pretty important from a durability standpoint. Some grain structures are more durable than others and some fabrics are easier to clean than others.

Corgi_express

The interior stuff is a actually pretty important from a durability standpoint. Some grain structures are more durable than others and some fabrics are easier to clean than others.

Don't bother - he is not actually listening to their words or acknowledging the reality that Ford and Jeep do the exact same thing, he's just spewing hate for the sake of spewing hate.

(none)

Adventurer
Didn't answer the question. When do you need that outside of a 4x4 obstacle course?

I had 75 series tires on my old truck and haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaated it. Total overkill, even in alaska.

View attachment 604463

Guess the question there is what did you hate so much about them? Looks like you're running 285/75s? Wider isn't always the answer. A stock-ish 265/75 would've handled better or even a 255/85.

Blaise

They hire these people that obviously have zero experience in any related industry or service that Defender historically served.

"obviously"

"zero" in "any"

Tell me more about your experience in HR at JLR.

Guess the question there is what did you hate so much about them? Looks like you're running 285/75s? Wider isn't always the answer. A stock-ish 265/75 would've handled better or even a 255/85.

You're correct. I run a 265/65 now. It's much much better, along with the truck itself being much better on-road. Bigger is not always better. I now run the smallest tire which will still get me everywhere, and having EAS means I don't have to run around lifted at all times. It's pretty great.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Then why keep saying the Defender is bigger?
It’s bigger than a LR4. ?‍♂️ It’s taller, longer, and wider. The core differences is in off road capability and load capacities as well as interior design. There are also some key differences mechanically like stronger suspension bushings and larger diameter shocks. As well as the strongest axle shafts Land Rover has ever used. Not to mention the Defender has ip67 rated electronics inside and out. Oh and the fact it can fit 18” wheels and 35’s. But yeah it’s just a LR4.
Just like a Classic Defender is a RRC and a D1.

It’s wider and taller than the D4. The D4’s body is slightly longer however the Defender is longer overall. 18’s from the factory are a big deal for a modern Land Rover considering most in the last 12 years could only fit 19’s or bigger. 16’s or 17’s would be better but 18’s will work fine.

The Defender has a longer wheelbase on roughly the same length. That's a decrease in breakover.
The reason Defender has a better breakover has nothing to do with increasing the departure angle.

The reason Defender cargo area is smaller, is because the cargo area is narrower, lower and shorter.
That is a body design choice, nothing to do with breakover.

Yeah I agree the cargo space is smaller I’ve seen both in person and I’ve had a LR3 since new. It’s my biggest issue with the Defender. My point about wheel size is the fact that no Land Rover in the US since the LR3 has had the option of anything smaller than a 19’. My point being it’s a step in the right direction. The LR4 could not fit 18’s stock in the US. The Defender lost cargo space primarily due to shortening up the back to increasing the break over angle. From a off road stand point it’s a okay compromise from a hauling perspective it’s annoying.

EricTyrrell

Expo God

There we have it. The ultimate response. Next time I buy an impact wrench or miter saw I'll make sure it been though an austere London design shop where only the most critical details like radii lead-in and tactile quality have been obsessed over.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Tell me more about your experience in HR at JLR.

One does not need to be "in HR" to observe what is self-evident and which is presented publicly in numerous insider promotional videos. The culture at JLR is overtly corporate, austere, and luxury focused. The grit and proud hard-working culture is dead. It's a company run by art collectors, bean-counters, and MBAs.

Carson G

Then why keep saying the Defender is bigger?

The Defender has a longer wheelbase on roughly the same length. That's a decrease in breakover.
The reason Defender has a better breakover has nothing to do with increasing the departure angle.

The reason Defender cargo area is smaller, is because the cargo area is narrower, lower and shorter.
That is a body design choice, nothing to do with breakover.
I had break over angle on the brain I was really talking about the departure angle. I screwed up.
EBC5B548-F4DC-42A1-BF99-8FF3B8AE112C.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles