New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

soflorovers

I'll say this again. Land Rover's critical error was Gerry McGovern's rejection of the aftermarket industry that turns a platform into a hobby and drives sales. While I get that some aftermarket companies investing in the Defender, the Bronco strategy goes far beyond Land Rover and will challenge Jeep in aftermarket support. It is a critical aspect of why Jeep volume far exceeds Land Rover.
The new Defender is significantly more expensive than both of these options. While aftermarket support does contribute to greater Jeep sales volume, I believe most of the difference is due to the cost of entry, rather than aftermarket support.

soflorovers

$100 refundable deposit does nothing but allow you to release the headline 'already sold out.' Tesla did the same for the Cybertruck in a more extreme manner without having an actual vehicle that had even been considered for production.

Either way I'm glad Ford has a proper 4x4, the same way I'm glad the JL exists, and how I'm glad the new Defender exists, and if Toyota ever releases anything more than a new color, that'll be cool too.

I'm not a loyalist to anyone (currently got Italian, British, japanese, and american toys) - but I'm gonna keep calling out people to pretend to be able to instantly out-design LR with a quick internet post. Like whomever claimed their common sense was better than an SAE test :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I disagree. The $100 deposit also works for purposes of determining the demand per trim level, but more importantly...will likely determine dealer allocation. If you have a good relationship with your local dealer, then I highly recommend placing a deposit if you're planning on getting one in the first few months.

soflorovers

You are in the wrong forum. Get a 1 ton and head over to the full sized section.
What sort of 4x4 terrain does one have in Florida?
A lot of mud. In South Florida, there are two options really: You can go down to The Humps in Homestead which is a lot of coral rock, mangroves and thick mud. Alternatively, you can go to West Palm Beach and hit up JW Corbett which is mainly Everglades. Elevation change is virtually non-existent.

soflorovers

Have you been tracking what Lucky8 has done? Lift, 33" 12.5 MTs, sliders, and they've hinted they're working on a front bumper, and they have already got something going for the rear bumper. They have an A-bar for the Disco and I suspect a metal A-bar will not be far behind with the Defender. Behind the floating panel is a structural member so it wouldn't be a window or anything else anyway - still, I suspect the 110 will get a floating pillar delete like the 90 will have at introduction. As for other accessories - so what if Land Rover is offering a WARN winch, racks, lights, etc? Are they not allowed to try to compete with the aftermarket?

The "fake diamond plate" on the hood aren't actually stickers if you get up close on them. The ones on the hood are inset coated panels, they look to be plasti-dipped like truck bed treatments but with a texture on the top. The ones on the corners are like a wrap - most people would put stone protecting clear bras/wraps on these areas anyway, so now they are thick rubberized wrap panels that are textured, replaceable, won't rust, and protect the paint better than steel plates riveted into the body would, and don't introduce holes into the skin of the vehicle for water and fine sand/debris to work its way in.
Lucky8 already did a floating pillar delete, and their execution actually doesn't look half bad. Someone in the UAE has already stuffed a 35" tire and is working on a dedicated coilover setup that is much more suitable to the abuses of sand driving. As I've said before, those who hate it will hate it. Those who are willing to give the new Defender a chance will be pleasantly surprised. There are additional photos on Instagram from aftermarket companies that are already working on front bumper solutions; I imagine we'll have multiple options for those not willing to relocate the auxiliary coolers and an option for those willing to relocate. This thread will eventually die down when the aftermarket and owner stories come flooding in. *Shrug*

85_Ranger4x4

The new Defender is significantly more expensive than both of these options. While aftermarket support does contribute to greater Jeep sales volume, I believe most of the difference is due to the cost of entry, rather than aftermarket support.

Jeeps are also cute and come in fun colors...

Even if they cost the same I don't think Defender could touch Jeep for sales numbers. Jeep appeals to many more fan bases.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I really like the 90 with that three seat bench in the front. It had me thinking I would be Buying my first NEW Land Rover. But the Bronco just has a more appealing design. Check out Doug DeMuro’s review. First thing he Comments on his how he loves the defender but admits that people are split on the design whereas everybody is raving about the new broncos design. That is want has sent me down the path to a 2 door Bronco over the 90. But everybody gets to drive what they want and that’s that’s what’s awesome. In the sexy category though that Bronco just KICK Gerrys DESIGN world IN THE ****** and said this is how you make it HOT.

Carson G

I really like the 90 with that three seat bench in the front. It had me thinking I would be Buying my first NEW Land Rover. But the Bronco just has a more appealing design. Check out Doug DeMuro’s review. First thing he Comments on his how he loves the defender but admits that people are split on the design whereas everybody is raving about the new broncos design. That is want has sent me down the path to a 2 door Bronco over the 90. But everybody gets to drive what they want and that’s that’s what’s awesome. In the sexy category though that Bronco just KICK Gerrys DESIGN world IN THE ****** and said this is how you make it HOT.
Gonna be honest though no 4wd is as sexy as a Classic Defender.

soflorovers

If you're going for a 2-door, then the answer is obviously Bronco. If I'm daily driving it and only spending 45 minutes in it, then the Bronco is a vastly superior vehicle (Aesthetics, price point, manual!). That said, I'm also 27 and I dd a completely impractical sports car with a ride comparable to a carriage on cobblestones; before that I had a manual Hellcat. I have no problem DD'ing a Wrangler or a Bronco. However, if you're a slightly older individual and want a comfortable DD that can also cover vast amounts of distance in a short time for a weekend getaway with the family, then the New Defender 110 is still the choice.

HUMMER/Expeditions

So you are saying 100s of other vehicles that ppl use, including every other land rover to travel around the world are not good enough just because they don’t have enough payload?
come On man let’s be realistic.

I think to compare new bronco to new defender is not fair,
Just look at the front ends of both vehicles and u get the idea.

manual transmission option is amazing
the automatic 10 speed transmission is joint venture by GM and ford, it can handle 750hp

Not hating on the defender, just saying, It’s not fair to compare new bronco to defender by any form or shape.

Ford nailed it again.

Land Rover failed to deliver What everyone would of loved to have, modern version of the icon.
Nature doesn’t care about technology, when out in the wilderness, simple is best technology.

Last edited:

soflorovers

Gonna be honest though no 4wd is as sexy as a Classic Defender.
I genuinely think the New Bronco is going to "tank" (It's all relative) NAS 90 prices. Don't get me wrong, Nantucket and the Hamptons (I.e the "Old Money") will always keep their NAS 90's, but I have a feeling many people who aren't uber-wealthy but have an NAS 90 will consider swapping. At the end of the day, there's no denying that the 2020 Bronco is a direct competitor for someone who wants a reliable JL Wrangler alternative.

Blaise

However, if you're a slightly older individual and want a comfortable DD that can also cover vast amounts of distance in a short time for a weekend getaway with the family, then the New Defender 110 is still the choice.

I'm 35. I also own stiff riding sports cars and motorcycles and such. They're great.

When the weekend comes, (if not using a diff toy) I jump in the air-suspended land rover and do exactly this. Usually just with the wife, but sometimes with more people.

You know what doesn't matter for us? What anybody on an internet forum thinks, or boulder-field capability. Or JD Power ratings lol

What does matter for our trips:

A) On Road Comfort
B) Still being able to get anywhere I want short of a Level 8 trial in Moab
C) Off Road Comfort. It's not unusual for us to do 500+ miles per weekend with several hours off-pavement. Air suspension is AMAZING for this.

The bronco is freakin' cool. So is the Wrangler and so is the Defender. Why is everyone SO upset that THEIR opinion doesn't match everyone else's? I've had jeeps and I've had japanese 4x4s and everything in between. Sigh.

:mad: :mad: :mad: MY OPINION IS RIGHT AND YOUR OPINION IS WRONG. :mad::mad: :mad: NOBODY SHOULD BE PERMITTED TO DRIVE ANYTHING BUT NON-AIRCONDITIONED TRUCKS WITHOUT DOORS AND SOLID AXLES. :mad::mad: :mad:

Just gonna keep having fun over here while you guys keep getting worked up things you can't control...

view.jpg

Corgi_express

I’ve been looking at a lot of social media posts about the new Bronco because it seems like a pretty sweet ride. The number of haters and trolls I am seeing is astounding.

I guess it kinda comforts me that petty children are crying about that car too - it really shows that people are the ones who suck, and the vehicles themselves will be just fine.

Blaise

I’ve been looking at a lot of social media posts about the new Bronco because it seems like a pretty sweet ride. The number of haters and trolls I am seeing is astounding.

I guess it kinda comforts me that petty children are crying about that car too - it really shows that people are the ones who suck, and the vehicles themselves will be just fine.

It's the nature of the internet. When you can hide behind a screen for some reason people instantly go to the lowest possible state of existence.

I HATE THIS AND IM RIGHT AND YOU'RE WRONG AND GRRRRRRRR I HAVE AN OPINION! Jeep means just empty every pocket! The JL had a statistically insignificant number of nonconforming welded components which were recalled SO ITS NOT WORTH BUYING RUN AWAY BAD QUALITY. Ford means FOUND ON ROAD DEAD! I know so bc my '99 expedition blew 3 headgaskets!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

So glad that social media comments have zero impact into the R&D programs I work lol

85_Ranger4x4

Why is everyone SO upset that THEIR opinion doesn't match everyone else's?

Just kinda sad to see a classic go away and its "replacement" basically pays no homage to the original aside from letters stuck on the hood.

In the US I would never be able to buy an original so personally it is really neither here nor there anyway.

Everybody is fussing over the comfort of air ride while I am squirrelling parts to add air conditioning to my truck lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles