New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

Carson G

Brakes are different, per the brochure the fronts are 349 mm (twin piston) on the P300 and 363 mm dia. (4 piston) on the P400, while the rears are 325 and 350 mm dia. single piston, respectively. That's over 1/2" larger out front and a whole inch in the back, which makes me think the factory 18s are definitely too small for the larger engine. Hoping and praying the Compomotive PD1880 18" off my LR4 might work on the P400... But I am not too hopeful. I checked and the fronts of the LR4 are a few mm. smaller.
The Evo course 18” wheels might fit they have a wider off set than the PD1880’s.

If that is the case, my 3 year old lease turn-in D110 P400 will be getting P300 calipers on Upgrade Numeral Number Uno.........or I stick to the new P300 buy like JackW.

Not a showstopper IMO......I don't see any differences outside of this and to be honest it probably is part of the HSE trim package for performance.

naks

Clearly the driver is new to off-roading, and it also doesn't seem like that 110 has the rear e-diff. He also clearly doesn't know how to get the TC to work properly.

But even without the rear e-diff, it shouldn't have gotten stuck so much.

I would have walked that hill in my D4 and RRS

DorB

Adventurer
Clearly the driver is new to off-roading, and it also doesn't seem like that 110 has the rear e-diff. He also clearly doesn't know how to get the TC to work properly.

But even without the rear e-diff, it shouldn't have gotten stuck so much.

I would have walked that hill in my D4 and RRS

The driver is no novice to off road or LR.

34da7142adeddd0e8a97fe17b6a186b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

naks

That's just Terrain Response, but hard to explain why he struggled so if both diffs were locked manually...

The uploader did comment that others drove it up the same track without struggling, so must have been a PEVKAC issue

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

DorB

Adventurer
That's just Terrain Response, but hard to explain why he struggled so if both diffs were locked manually...

The uploader did comment that others drove it up the same track without struggling, so must have been a PEVKAC issue

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
I don’t think this specific terrain represent the natural environment the new Defender SUV is aimed for, but the video does present the difference between the original capabilities vs the venerability of the new on.

It will probably outshine the old one in every terrain that is not like this one.

T-Willy

I too thought I saw that the rear and center diffs were locked. If only I spoke Hebrew to understand the mechanical settings that were selected, and whether they were functioning properly.

This terrain is likely steeper and more severe than it appears on camera. And it's terrain that inherently favors the flex of rigid axles and coils over independent suspension, showing a trade-off between the old and new designs.

To be fair, that trade-off is consistent with the aims of the new Defender's design, which focuses on remote touring comfort more than rock crawling capability.

DorB

Adventurer
This terrain is likely steeper and more severe than it appears on camera. And it's terrain that inherently favors the flex of rigid axles and coils over independent suspension, showing a trade-off between the old and new designs
Yes, It’s mush steeper, but the old one made it with not trouble.

To be fair, that trade-off is consistent with the aims of the new Defender's design, which focuses on remote touring comfort more than rock crawling capability.
Even in remote Turing, you can be challenged by short sections like this.
In the Namibia promotion they traversed something that resembles this one, but downhill..

T-Willy

This terrain is likely steeper and more severe than it appears on camera. And it's terrain that inherently favors the flex of rigid axles and coils over independent suspension, showing a trade-off between the old and new designs.
Yes, It’s mush steeper, but the old one made it with not trouble.

Even in remote Turing, you can be challenged by short sections like this.
In the Namibia promotion they traversed something that resembles this one, but downhill..

We don't disagree -- it's one reason why my tourer is still rigid-axled. In my experience, far less than one percent of the terrain poses 100% of the potential problems, and those problems can wreak havoc on the rest of the trip.

I think we all knew that the new Defender's design sacrifices capability on terrain like this for the comfort of IFS and IRS. But I have to say that, if in fact the mechanicals were working as they should, this example shows a bigger difference than I had expected.

I expected lots of clumsy teeter-tottering, which is inherent to IFS and IRS, but I didn't expect such poor traction from the 4WD system. I've always felt that flex--keeping wheels on the ground--is traction's best friend, and that lockers are for when you can't. Here, locking didn't seem to provide the backstop that I thought it would.

Last edited:

Blaise

Yeah, something is up. In my LR3 (HD pack) I just drive with two feet and slowly apply throttle and the moment you get that kinda slip the rear locks and you walk right over. No different than when I'd experience similar issues in more analog rigs and I'd hit the rear e-diff locker.

Tires look like they're not aired down either.

Carson G

I think it’s primary a tire issue. 19’s with a glorified road tire and probably not aired down. Outside of that the terrain response probably isn’t configured right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier