New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

Corgi_express

Also a note on reliability: All of you here whining about the infotainment being buggy on Land Rover for years should feel blessed you have never spent a hundred thousand dollars on a camper van from any mainstream manufacturer. Reliability is relative, and pieces fell right off my Winnebago within the first few months of owning it... and it was a commonly known problem with the model.

nickw

Adventurer
Back to an above point.....yes, the new LC wagons should have been called something else....or 'Land Cruiser xxxxxx' The 55 and 60 and 80 are just rebodied 40/70 series....full LC underneath.

The only Land Cruiser made now is the 70 series, which is the modern iteration/version of the initial 20 series.

This new vehicle is not configurable enough and puts far too much emphasis on styling to be a Defender.
The 80 is not quite like the original 40/70...nor is the modern 70 like the older ones for that matter...FWIW

DieselRanger

First off, what in the &*#(# is a foam tire cushion!?

Why of course, it's a closed cell foam pad you put under your $1,000 Pirellis to gently cradle them to keep from getting flat spots. ??

Also, Matt Farah has a great video of him driving a Countach and basically says the same thing - drive it enough and it won't catch on fire. Unfortunately most services are engine-out services....

Last edited:

DieselRanger

Meaning the people who are still going on about reliability. Its like I said if you want reliability buy a Toyota. I personally have had decent luck reliability wise with LR’s. IMO life is too short to drive boring vehicles.
Sorry, any time anyone says "you people" it's automatic.

nickw

Adventurer
Why of course, it's a closed cell foam pad you put under your $1,000 Pirellis to gently cradle them to keep from getting flat spots. ??

Also, Matt Farah has a great video of him driving a Countach and basically says the same thing - drive it enough and it won't catch on fire. Unfortunately most services are engine-out services....
Aha - learn something new every day...

Speaking of Lambos...is it bad I've always wanted a LM002?

And yeah, I'd drive / expo the &$(@ out of it....

T-Willy

Meaning the people who are still going on about reliability. Its like I said if you want reliability buy a Toyota. I personally have had decent luck reliability wise with LR’s. IMO life is too short to drive boring vehicles.

Hi - that's me. I like discussing reliability.

I like discussing reliability because I like remote touring, and for remote touring reliability matters.

Land Rover has put itself in a pickle with Defender.

On one hand, Land Rover has billed and spec'd Defender as a remote touring vehicle--a uniquely capable touring wagon in the U.S. market. On the other hand, the only thing reliable about Land Rover's vehicles, according to every objective review I've come across, seems to be their unreliability.

Discussion of that great dichotomy on this forum, and on this particular thread, is clearly in bounds--even if it upsets brand loyalists, which it obviously does.

Last edited:

Carson G

Hi - that's me. I like discussing reliability.

I like discussing reliability because I like remote touring, and for remote touring reliability matters.

Land Rover has put itself in a pickle with Defender.

On one hand, Land Rover has billed and spec'd Defender as a remote touring vehicle--a uniquely capable touring wagon in the U.S. market. On the other hand, the only thing reliable about Land Rover's vehicles, according to every objective review I've come across, seems to be their unreliability.

Discussion of this great dichotomy on this forum, and on this particular thread, is clearly in bounds--even if it upsets brand loyalists, which it obviously does.
You know it’s kinda funny I was just thinking and the only time my LR3 has ever “broken down” was when the flipping Denso alternator died. If you crawl around on these newer trucks enough you’d be surprised with the amount of Denso (Toyota) parts. The dang power steering pump on my LR3 even has Toyota cast in it IIRC.

Carson G

Actually now that I really think about it the only thing on any Land Rover I’ve ever had just fail was the alternator on my LR3. I’ve had stuff wear out over time but nothing that’s didn't give me a ton of warning. Shoot I don’t think my parents did with their D1,D2 x2, or LR4 either. Stuff wore out for sure but nothing failed and stranded them or myself and that’s over the last 20 years. And my parents suck at maintenance. I’m ocd about it myself though.

nickw

Adventurer
They are actually pretty small and pretty ugly in person. Wife and I saw a couple of them while staying in Carmel Valley during our SLK 350 no kids escape weekend.
Ill deal with ugly and small since it has a manual trans and a V12 :)

Doug Domuro did a great review on youtube....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94