New Defender News

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
As far as the comment on bags struggling in cold weather; absolutely zero data that proves that statement and just about every modern militaries run bags on all their new equipment in every clime and place with no issues.
If this was in regards to my statement, i didn't look up data. I'm basing that on the amount of vehicles I see every winter with collapsed suspension.

Regardless, based on what I see, I will not buy any vehicles with air bag suspension of any make or model. Everyone else can do what they please. Doesn't matter to me.

I'll cast my own vote with my own money.

naks

Why was their window open? Is that protocol, or just a way to have fun getting muddy?
You always cross flowing water with your windows open and your seatbelts off - that way, if the water lifts the vehicle and pushes it out of control, you get to escape quickly.

If course, one should always try to avoid crossing flowing water, especially a muddy one, as you can't spot debris coming your way.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Except my air bag 95 RRC sagged in cold weather, personal vehicle technology is not commercial grade, batteries don't like cold, range of lithium based EVs drops in half in cold weather and life cycles are consumed faster. All this is basic reliability engineering 101. Adding complexity requires the reliability off all components to be increased just to maintain system failure rate.
Agreed.

Scott Brady

Founder
I just spent the last week in Namibia with the new Defender. Promise to share details once the driving impressions embargo lifts. . .
b7041456.jpg

Red90

Adventurer
That river crossing is legit; I don't care what kind of vehicle you are in. Takes confidence in your rig to cross that with the volume and speed of water; definitely enough to roll a vehicle and send it down river had it not made it across.

Incorrect. To do that you need to be a complete idiot. Another foot of depth and they would have floated and be dead now. That was incredibly reckless. It just shows how much these are a bunch of amateurs.

naks

Incorrect. To do that you need to be a complete idiot. Another foot of depth and they would have floated and be dead now. That was incredibly reckless. It just shows how much these are a bunch of amateurs.

for once, I have to agree with @Red90: that was a dangerous thing to do. I would never cross flowing water that was this deep and flowing so quickly. On top of that, it was muddy water, so you wouldn't be able to spot any big debris coming your way.

I suppose that's why they tied a rope to the back, and (probably) anchored it to another vehicle on the bank. But had the crossing vehicle been swept downstream, there is little chance that one of the other vehicles would have been able to hold it and/or pull it back.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I saw it in person last night. They have one at the Auto Show in Quebec City, of all places. It was just parked in a remote corner, not staged in any way. I almost missed it.
It is a pre-production unit with a diesel engine.

I am not totally sure how I feel about it. Some features/angles seems nice, but some other things seem goofy to me.

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94