New Defender News

mpinco

Expedition Leader
China has come to a halt, as will JLR and the reliance on China for subsystems.

Jaguar Land Rover to run out of Chinese parts for UK production after two weeks: CEO

"WARWICK, England (Reuters) - Jaguar Land Rover (TAMO.NS) has enough parts from China to maintain its British production for the next two weeks but not beyond that at the moment, Chief Executive Ralf Speth said on Tuesday.

The head of Britain’s biggest carmaker also told reporters that sales were not currently happening in China............."

JLR financials are going to be really bad.

Jaguar Land Rover flying parts out of China to avoid UK shutdown
www.ft.com.ico
The Financial Times|2 minutes ago
Jaguar Land Rover is flying components in suitcases out of China as it races to prevent its UK plants from closing by the end of the month.............

Last edited:

soflorovers

Yeah, I'm an owner and I'm active on that forum. You can count on one hand the number of occurrences in the issues as posted. I have one of the earliest deliveries in the US (VIN under 24,000), and I bought an extended warranty expecting typical first-run model year issues, but beyond a couple software based service notices, one preventive campaign for the air suspension fill valve, and replacing the RF module for central locking, mine has been pretty flawless over 34,000 miles - far better than the Subarus and Volvos we used to drive, and mechanically it's been perfect.

The only "chronic" issue right now is on the Td6, the early service due notice that asks for oil changes long before they are actually due - which, when you get down to it, isn't even an issue, as changing the oil early has zero negative impact on vehicle reliability or durability. If you bought the prepaid service plan it's not even a monetary cost issue - it's a time cost if you choose to do it when it thinks it needs an oil change. Otherwise you can do it every 10,000 miles with no problems.

My service advisor remarked that he remembers a time when Land Rovers - specifically the D1 and D2 - would roll off the flatbed at initial delivery with fluid leaks and other issues that would require wrenching just to put them on the lot. He said today it's a software update to catch versions missed while they were on the boat. Software complaints and issues are the single most common reported issue today, and the main reason that JLR has been one of the first automakers to enable SOTA updates for modules beyond infotainment - it now updates its software while I'm sleeping. It was also the most-improved brand in initial quality in 2019, with Jaguar close behind.
I too have heard comical stories regarding D1/D2's and PDIs. When the D1 first came out, there was a recall because the doors wouldn't latch properly. Customers were coming in on a weekly basis stating that the doors would fly open on them. Obviously, a recall was issued and a stop sale implemented. Even with all the comical issues, the dealers couldn't fix them fast enough to match supply. My local dealer had inventory sitting on their lot waiting for replacement latches. Sometimes these spares would take so long that the techs would also replace the wiper blades replaced as some of them had been sitting on the lot long enough in the South Florida heat that the blades would go bad just by sitting. Just old LR things...

DieselRanger

Why quality is job number 1 for next CEO ................

2019 What Car? Reliability Survey: luxury SUVs
To help you choose the most dependable car, we've crunched the data on more than 18,000 vehicles, spanning 31 brands and 218 models to give each a unique reliability rating...
View attachment 568224
Hm, so one of the most UNRELIABLE vehicles ever in initial quality, the Volkswagen Touareg, comes out the highest over a five year period? Explains why I wasted $1500 on an extended warranty never used on my 2010.

Land Rover Discovery 5 is in the top 10 and ahead of its predecessor. Nice. 83.6% is pretty good - that's a solid B. Where do the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Wrangler rank? What about the Lexus GX?

I honestly take all these reliability things with a grain of salt. I mean these scores come from blown engines to rattles in dash panels; like reading WebMD for the common cold. On that note, Toyota has some significant problems over the last few years and many models are having major engine problems in multiple models. D-C has had rear drivetrain problems since as far back as I can remember so every manufacturer is suffering in mass production reliability.

On that note, I must have bought the best LR3 that came off the production line because I just don't see where all of these uber unreliable problems came from and I am pretty hard on my vehicle; in respect to what most LR3's see. I am sure some of you can speak the same; using an LR for what it is capable of as most don't see the use it is spec'd for but damn I feel like I see a lot of people slamming reliability of many vehicles that they bought used and have no clue on the real care of which that vehicle had prior to their purchase. I'm 2nd owner of my 08, the previous owner was maintained at LR dealership up to 56k miles or whatever I bought her at from the dealer.........NOT ONE PROBLEM of so-called unreliability or major issues and I'm at 127k miles now and she lives a far different life than most LR3 at her same mileage. If we are to buy 2nd and 3rd owner vehicles, I honestly do not feel the OEM is responsible for the rest of the vehicles life because I know some serious hacks who are paid to work on vehicles as so called professionals and also some private garage mechanics who surely would never touch my vehicles. On that note, look at all the top-knot, man-bun, capri wearing beta-males who can't even change a tire these days and drive their vehicles until it blows up, can't change their own tires, and then wonder why nobody told them to change the oil. Vehicle warranties have come a long way since I can remember them and people still don't think they should be anywhere in the maintenance or care chain of their vehicle; when something goes wrong, its automatically the OEM fault. Not saying this is completely the case but damn, we all know it surely is in many many cases.

On that note, I still have not seen a video posted of a Defender2 or a stock Jeep doing something a stock 08 LR3 can't already do; except the crazy Bond videos......lol.

I'm sure the traction control is getting much better; just like it did with the D4 and D5 but these videos are really not selling it all that well if that's the case.

Still like the new Defender; just don't see it fitting in my budget with the current available options and configurations.

Blaise

^ UGH THAT COLOR IS SO GOOD

On that note, I must have bought the best LR3 that came off the production line because I just don't see where all of these uber unreliable problems came from and I am pretty hard on my vehicle; in respect to what most LR3's see

Same. And same experience with all of my other friends who actually own these trucks. I just ignore the internet and enjoy my LR3.

Funny story, I spent all of last weekend driving various high end luxury german cars. It wasn't until I got to the BMW 7, Benz S, and Audi A8 that the ride comfrt and noise level matched my LR3. It's some good stuff.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Reliability is relative to the crowd survey'd. Like it or not we are not the typical LR owner/s as enthusiast. The typical high volume buyer is the family SUV with a family budget and family service / maintenance profile. If the factory says 15K oil changes then it is 15K or more before it is done. On the other hand we tend to be more aggressive on maintenance and care, with intervals much shorter than the factory recommendations. That prevents many issues that the soccer mom use profile creates.

The reality is that JLR needs the soccer mom volume to survive and must compete at that perceived level of quality and reliability. While the survey's are created by auto marketing departments (JD Powers comes to mind) they do play a factor in buyers decision process. Being at the bottom of the QRA list doesn't help sales.

The immediate challenge for JLR is the large capital requirements of electrification even as sales crater in China and EU. The likelyhood of a 'partnership' just jumped.

Last edited:

naks

seen on FB, from Dave van Graan, a chap who is doing a walking tour around Namibia:
"Here are a few photos of the new Land Rover Defender. Land Rover is currently conducting a 2 month test on these vehicles. They drive much the same route that I walked plus a few other tough routes from Opuwu, van Zyls Pass, to the Skeleton coast National Park, Puros, Sesfontein and back to Opuwu. They do not spare these cars and they are really well tested. They really have a new look and nothing like the old Defender."

1582131434508.png

1582131533668.png

1582131549977.png

1582131559876.png

if you google some of the places he mentions, especially Van Zyl's Pass, you will understand how tough these vehicles are having it.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Love the look of the Green with the White Roof and those steel wheels :love:, but that Box on the back window is a wreck waiting to happen on a Left hand Drive truck. I guess the feel the blind spot monitoring system is better than the shoulder check.

Blaise

Either that or it's got decent mirrors. My BRZ has awful blind spots but I have full 180* coverage between my rear view and aftermarket convex side mirrors.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I will put things on the roof rack and hang stuff off the back but the only stuff I want on the side of my LR would be the mirrors and they fold in. There can't be so little room inside the new one that there is a need for that picnic basket box on the side.

DieselRanger

Love the look of the Green with the White Roof and those steel wheels :love:, but that Box on the back window is a wreck waiting to happen on a Left hand Drive truck. I guess the feel the blind spot monitoring system is better than the shoulder check.
I just hope they introduce a modular mounting system for that attachment point so you could mount Rotopax or Maxtrax or whatever else you want there if you don't want the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne