New Defender News

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Depends on your region I guess.

its never went as cold as that ever in Scotland.
Lowest is -26.
Personally -17 is the lowest I’ve seen.
Which caused plenty of cars on my street to not start during the coldest of that winter.
I’ve never seen the temps go below -10 in 11 years though.

My Td4 freelander always fired up that winter, keeping it’s tank topped up meant it always had good winter grade diesel in it.
I just found it funny everyone was almost relieved it started.

A.J.M

Explorer
I don’t think anyone was surprised it started.

It’s the temperature that’s surprising.
When you never experience such low temperatures, it’s surprising to see it elsewhere.

DieselRanger

Depends on your region I guess.

its never went as cold as that ever in Scotland.
Lowest is -26.
Personally -17 is the lowest I’ve seen.
Which caused plenty of cars on my street to not start during the coldest of that winter.
I’ve never seen the temps go below -10 in 11 years though.

My Td4 freelander always fired up that winter, keeping it’s tank topped up meant it always had good winter grade diesel in it.
F or C? -30F is a different story.

XJLI

Adventurer
tug of wars are dumb. whoever loses traction first, loses. you can repeat that test but have the rubi break traction with the defender on the brakes at first and then it would win. theres a video floating around of a D90 dragging a cummins on youtube... its pretty obvious to anyone that a tuned cummins has more power and torque.

A.J.M

Explorer
110 has centre diff lock and Goodyear AT tyres.
Jeep has front and back diff lockers with mud tyres.
G Class has 3 lockers with road tyres.

I’ve seen them put a G Class against a D5 or a RRS and it lost.
The G will be the G350D and the 110 is the D240.

DieselRanger

What happened here ?

What happened here was that we all saw what happens when you have a tug of war on deep wet grass. Tug of wars are all about traction, especially on deep wet grass. Traction starts at the tire to ground interface - the Jeep had the advantage there big time because of it's 'knobbly' tires.

They also didn't use the optimal TR2 settings (there is a Grass/Gravel/Snow mode...not used - this mode locks the rear diff and reduces slip on the center diff; also not clear whether he disabled ESC, which is one button push, seems to indicate he didn't), and it's not clear whether this D240 had Configurable Terrain Response, which allows the driver to control differential locking behavior - in any case, if it was on the vehicle it wasn't used, but it may not have mattered because the trick in tug of wars is to get the other guy to lose traction first, and the Defender was on ATs vs. the Jeep's MTs.

Locking diffs also help a lot - and a fully locked G-Wagen with a huge torque advantage can make up for poor tires, but only if he gets the jump on the Jeep, and he may have rolled on a little early - the takeoff was skipped if you look closely at the video - we never see the moment when the Jeep loses traction.

1612982415703.png

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Does this count as a new Defender? 270K? Ouch.

Land Rover announced Wednesday its Classic division will be "re-engineering" a selection of last-generation Defenders for a limited run of special edition V-8-powered trucks. The Defender Works V8 Trophy, meant to celebrate the truck's expedition-filled heritage, comes in either 90 or 110 body style, and starts from £195,000 (around $270,000) in the U.K.

l-classic-trophy-100221-06-1612975555.jpg

DieselRanger

Does this count as a new Defender? 270K? Ouch.

View attachment 641436
For only 25 of them, which will be used in a competition environment...this is effectively a factory spec racing league, so in that respect that's about what those kinds of things cost.

soflorovers

For only 25 of them, which will be used in a competition environment...this is effectively a factory spec racing league, so in that respect that's about what those kinds of things cost.

Respectfully, I disagree. This isn't a Bowler Wildcat. It's some Sandglow paint (they use a new name now) on a Works V8 with some Safety Devices accessories. Hell, the front end sag on this thing with the 5.0 is pretty obvious - doesn't look as if they compensated for the extra weight. It's a rich man's plaything, and nothing more. Don't get me wrong: I still want one very badly, but this is far from a quarter million dollar competition rig IMO. It is however the only way to get a V8 in an Old Defender with OEM quality (whether you think OEM JLR quality is a good thing is a completely different question).

Edit: "Eastnor Yellow" is the new name. Curious if it maintains the old Sandglow code.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles