New bike suggestions

shade

Buying a new bike for your first one is just asking for an expensive lesson.

My advice (from someone who has been riding for 33 years) buy a well used bike. Accidents will matter less and you'll have less stress and more fun. You're gunna drop it, you're gunna low side it, and you're probably going to tag a tree... Might as well do it on an inexpensive bike that's cheaper to repair.

Buying a bike new is kinda silly when you can get used ones with very few miles muuuch cheaper.
That's not a bad idea, either. With that in mind, a little 200-250 dual sport would make sense.
Buy smart, take care of it, and I can probably sell it for close to whatever I paid for it.

D

Deleted member 9101

That's not a bad idea, either. With that in mind, a little 200-250 dual sport would make sense.
Buy smart, take care of it, and I can probably sell it for close to whatever I paid for it.

Exactly!!!! The only thing you lose is the street cred of being on a new bike...haha.

Plenty of guys start out on 250-500 (street) bikes that they buy cheap, learn how to ride, then sell them in a year for what they paid for them. I don't see why the same would not hold true for other types of motorcycles.

Besides... You might start riding and decide that you want to go with something completely different than the KTM.

I started out on dirt bikes as a kid, then went to street bikes, then sport bikes...and my next one will be sport touring. Your likes/dislikes and needs/wants can change dramatically once you have a few miles under your belt. ;-)

jkam

nomadic man
I like the Yamaha WR 250. It's been around a long time now, when it first came out, it was impressive.
Still holds it's own among the competition.
Another thing to consider when going orange is, where will you get service and parts.
KTM seems to be extending their service intervals on some bikes. What you posted isn't bad.
KTM is not noted for keeping a decent supply of parts available in the US.
Support can be tough, as often items are on backorder.
Aftermarket is pretty good, but the Yamaha has been around forever and can be dialed in easier.

shade

I found a 2013 Yamaha XT250 with low miles for $3k; C19 pricing might take it lower.
It's fuel injected, and Rambo rode an XT250, so it can't be all bad.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Lots of great suggestions on this thread, but a one question regarding use that I didn't see in your posts. Are you traveling alone? I recently sold my Suzuki DL650 - too heavy to throw on a hitch carrier - and most of my travels are with my wife and old corgi. Thought about a Yamaha XT250 - light enough to throw on a hitch, but a bit underpowered to ride two-up on the trails. The KTM 390 would not be fun for long days on the road, even my DL650 was not comfortable after a few hours on the road and highway miles aren't fun on these bikes. As Calicamper said, an electric off-road bike is a lot of fun - my wife rented one with some friends while we were explorer Anza Borrego - I stayed back with the corgi and explored some trails. There is no one bike that fits all your needs. If I were doing a lot of highway miles the KTM 390 is too small, but a great solo bike for the trails. As other have mentioned, it does require more maintenance than Yamahas or Hondas. If I were doing solo trips with my Tacoma and wanted something fun to ride around on the trails, I would get the Yamaha XT250 or WR250 (a bit more money, but more capable on trails). I say all this as someone who is getting older - when I was in my 20s, I could spend all day on any motorcycle (or bicycle) and feel great at the end of the day - not so much any more.
This is the same way I feel after lots of miles on the 650. I did a couple of longer trips and my 650 was a lazy boy that easily cruised at 90+ for hours. I didn’t find that part enjoyable a slower less comfortable bike nope. But getting up the trails a light bike would be great. The old Yamaha 250 is more peppy than the Honda 250 both I see used and hardly ridden “dads toys being sold cheap all the time. That would be a super easy way to go. Even 300lb bike on a hitch rack is pushing it for midsized. I‘m likely doing that in a few yrs with my 2019 Expedition on guys trips or hauling it along with the wifes camp trailer if it’s more than me. Either way as light as possible is going to work best. I don’t need to haul a weeks supply of gear for the trips my buddies are doing and they keep down sizing having started with GS beasts now on 700-500cc bikes.

GHI

Adventurer
True story from a lay person who hasn't had any competent professional rider training. It's possible to have no training and not kill yourself. Haven't done the TT, just the Tail of the Dragon at 25 mph. So my street cred is nil. At 18 yoa I found myself living away from home with a full time job and no mom around to say "negative ghost rider." I was able to secure a 28% interest loan for the latest and greatest Kawasaki NInja crotch rocket. Living in South Carolina at the time I was under the impression I could basically ride 10 months a year. I only managed to go over one grassy knoll while underestimating that one curve.

Salesman gives me the keys and says have fun. I tell him I've never ridden a bike. He says "ya know how to drive a stick kid." Of course I do I'm 18. See that lever there on the left, it's a clutch. That metal dowel on the foot peg, that's your stick shift. One down, five up. Have a good time.

Next up was the KLR 650. Awesome machine if you're 6'0 tall. I couldn't keep the thing upright on the sand dunes to save my life. Somebody from Chicago got a screamin deal on that. I needed something different. Yamaha V-Max 1200 with turbo. I think we called it V-boost. Almost off'd myself on a bridge in Destin,FL when I hit somewhere between 145-155. Stopped looking when I got that front fork wobble. I was single then and knew the secret handshake just in case I got stopped. Lots of folks go much faster, I know.

I moved on to the current moto, a Yamaha TW 200. It's not fast, but I was able to find that front end death wobble at 70'ish while downhill with the wind at my back. I only take the back roads now. It's by far my favorite.

jkam

nomadic man
I found a 2013 Yamaha XT250 with low miles for $3k; C19 pricing might take it lower.

The XT is a much different bike than the WR.
The XT is much like my Kawasaki Super Sherpa, the best little dual sport there is.
If you want off road capabilities more than street, choose the WR.
If you are short of stature and riding a tall bike would intimidate you, get the XT.

And Rambo was a poseur.;)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
GHI
Most riders are self taught till they arent. 4 of the 12 that washed out of my class were self taught long time riders. The London Lawyer who taught the course once a month while here for work was a former pro racer track guy and total hard ass. When I was done and on the road I had a very deep respect for the physical mechanics a rider needs to train and develop into natural reactions.
After a few years I could spot riders with really bad form and several I actually pickEd up off the pavement when it bit them. Riding motorcycle is pretty serious learning the right form can be life saving and make for better enjoyment too?.

Even advanced riding classes are eye opening

GHI

Adventurer
GHI
Most riders are self taught till they arent. 4 of the 12 that washed out of my class were self taught long time riders. The London Lawyer who taught the course once a month while here for work was a former pro racer track guy and total hard ass. When I was done and on the road I had a very deep respect for the physical mechanics a rider needs to train and develop into natural reactions.
After a few years I could spot riders with really bad form and several I actually pickEd up off the pavement when it bit them. Riding motorcycle is pretty serious learning the right form can be life saving and make for better enjoyment too?.

Even advanced riding classes are eye opening
I hear you loud and clear. I'm most likely that guy with really bad form. I'm fortunate enough now that my top speeds will probably only get me a broken leg or dislocated shoulder.

shade

I'm not interested in going fast, so a wimpy bike isn't a problem, especially for learning.

I think I'll eventually want something that can be ridden at highway speeds without tempting fate, though.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'm not interested in going fast, so a wimpy bike isn't a problem, especially for learning.

I think I'll eventually want something that can be ridden at highway speeds without tempting fate, though.
Highway speeds are pretty boring your basically along for the ride and hanging on so you don’t fall off lol.
You discover that birds, tire debri, rocks, bugs and road grooves take on a whole different meaning in life. Ha ha My highway commuter long custom Johnson Leathers jacket weighs 28lbs. It was heaven to wear when my office buddies were rubbing road welts at their desk. LOL

Johnson Leathers is the California Highway Patrol outfitter custom made gear right in their shop.

Only thing I didnt like about that jacket was the sore shoulders from its weight if I hadn’t been riding in a while.

jkam

nomadic man
I ride my 250 Sherpa on the interstate all the time. Mostly short hops of 20-30 miles, it does fine and will do 70 all day.
I prefer not to, but I live full time in a small RV, so it's my do everything that I can bike. From grocery and laundry to carrying water.
It really is a Super Sherpa.

Graton

That's a great price - some guy has a 2013 XT250 listed on Craigslist around here for $4100 - which is too high. I'd grab one at $3k if it were in good condition.

MTVR

True story from a lay person who hasn't had any competent professional rider training.

So please share with us, as a lay person who hasn't had any competent professional rider training, the method that YOU would use to effectively steer a motorcycle to the left. Lean left? Push the bars to the left? Shift your weight on the footpegs? Some combination of those things? Something entirely different?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles