New Alaskan side entry flatbed 8.5' build!!

ncalies

I went back to fwc.i wanted the hard sides for bear country cause when i worked at glacier and when the bears started acting up, they threw soft sides out, I asked them about fwc being a soft side but could not get a straight answer, maybe the guv'ment will have to do another study! lol.!
i wonder if anyone had had bear issues with fwc?

Yeah, when we were thinking about the hard-sided popup, bear country was one of the "pluses" for it. I do wonder the same, is a popup camper with the upper soft sides not considered "safe" for bear country? The soft sides are pretty high up there...

lzpup

Observer
Ranger at Whitney portal says our pop up (fav) camper was okay , but hardly a very bear intensive area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MiniSuperDuke

Really like that rig of yours!!
How's it holding up? If you've had it out lately, post up some pics. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ncalies

Really like that rig of yours!!
How's it holding up? If you've had it out lately, post up some pics. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks! We've been using it quite a bit and it's holding up great! We usually keep our Instagram up to date with "post worthy" photos - https://www.instagram.com/iggy_the_igloo/. You'll be able to see some good shots of trips on there.

We've had to make a few adjustments like add more weather stripping, new blocks to hold up the walls (pushes them out further for better seal), and a few other small things. We did change out the outside drain/water spigot to be a real hose spigot and then changed out the inside plumbing between that and the water tank to be 1/2" Pex. We now have much better water flow outside and it sticks out a tad further to be able to get water bottles under it (this was a big reason we wanted the outside drain is to fill up items). Another big thing we did with that was add heat wire to that plumbing because we've had that section of pipe freeze in very cold temps which then takes away from us being able to drain the system until it thaws. We've also added Reflectix under the mattress to see if it helps make the bed feel a little warmer. We've added strips to the guides on the front inside of the camper so when you raise and lower, they slide on that rather than the wall.

I finally got the courage to drill into our flatbed and install the rear sensors that came on the truck. We've had them turned off and stored by the spare and I finally decided to give it a shot. They are turned out really nice and work perfectly!

We had rock sliders made and welded onto the truck (pictures on Instagram).

We just ordered new front coils and front and rear shocks that are going to make the ride quality so much better and control the back and forth sway. The hope is to get rid of the Firestone airbags in the rear since our camper lives on the truck. They are taking a lot of wheel travel away and we want that back. Should have those from Thuren in 5-7 weeks!

There have been other small things we've done as well, but overall the truck and camper combo have been great. So far, I think we've slept in as cold as about 0F and it was nice and warm inside. The cabover is definitely colder than the rest of the camper which is why we are trying the Reflectix.

Let us know if you have any other specific questions!

Attachments

• IMG_20190130_120722.jpg
    IMG_20190130_120722.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20190121_130248.jpg
    IMG_20190121_130248.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20190121_110017.jpg
    IMG_20190121_110017.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20190106_110209.jpg
    IMG_20190106_110209.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20190103_173331.jpg
    IMG_20190103_173331.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20181129_092646593_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181129_092646593_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 158

ncalies

We've made a few more upgrades to the truck mostly over the past couple of months!

1) Increased the size of the plates and bolts that are holding the camper to the flatbed. I'm not sure if this was required, but going from the tiny plates to these 1/2" thick, 6"x6" steel plates with 1/2" fine threaded grade 8 bolts is very comforting. I wanted to make sure that if something catastrophic happens, it's not the bolts/plates that fail. I painted them so they wouldn't rust and since they are steel, I also put some rubber tape between it and the aluminum flatbed. The plates are on the top and the bottom sandwiching the camper to the flatbed.

2) Put an air gap between the floor and house batteries. I had to remove the house batteries to get to the drivers side front bolt holding the camper down and there was moisture under the batteries and the wood was damp. I think it's from the batteries heating up/cooling down. So I let it all dry out, painted all of the wood, caulked where needed, and then siliconed two strips of 1/4" plexiglass for the batteries to sit on. That way, there is airflow under the batteries to help prevent moisture build-up.

3) Removed the rear Firestone airbags with Daystar cradles. They were a great temporary solution for us, but since our camper never leaves the truck, I wanted the suspension to be supporting most of the weight rather than a bag of air on the axle. This way, we gained much more up-travel (maybe close to 3"-4") and letting the suspension do what it's suppose to do.

4) Installed 1500lb add-a-leafs, we got about 1" of lift and it definitely helps support the weight of the camper. It was neat to see that by installing these, we were able to remove the airbags.

5) Installed a 1" spacer on the passenger rear and a 2" spacer on the driver's rear to get leveled out side to side (the driver's side sat 1" lower compared to the passenger side) and to bring it back up to factory ride height-ish since we were gaining about 1.5" of lift with the new front coils. We didn't want to be sitting low in the rear with the new front lift and I didn't want the airbags, so without paying for a custom leaf-pack, this was the next best solution for us. If we weren't lifting the front with the new coils, we probably would have just done a 1" spacer on the driver's side to make it level with the passenger.

6) Installed Thuren custom tuned King 2.5 shocks with remote reservoirs on all four corners. These were pretty easy to install, did it all at the house.

7) Installed Thuren front coil springs, these were the hardest part of the install because of the required distance to drop the front axle to get the springs out/in. I'm sure if you had a spring compressor, it would be a bit easier, but I didn't feel like renting one and knew the axle could be dropped enough. I did have to use two jacks to keep lowering the axle and it required to do both sides at the same time. I was hoping to just do one side at a time but once getting into it, I knew that wouldn't work.

8) Installed Thuren track bar, it's definitely a lot beefier than the OEM.

Had the truck aligned and overall, we are very happy. It still drives like a truck but the way I describe it is that every bump is mush softer and it doesn't reverberate through the frame of the truck and make that "chatter" feeling. It also handles turns a lot better now and the side to side rocking when going through uneven turns/dips is controlled much faster. We haven't done a ton of dirt driving yet, but from what we have, it's definitely better...but still a truck with a camper on it! ;)

Attachments

• Front_installed.jpg
    Front_installed.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 81
  • Rear_installed.jpg
    Rear_installed.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 82
  • Add_a_Leaf.jpg
    Add_a_Leaf.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 81
  • Battery_Air_Gap.jpg
    Battery_Air_Gap.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 84
  • Finished_battery_air_gap.jpg
    Finished_battery_air_gap.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 82
  • Front_shocks_and_coils.jpg
    Front_shocks_and_coils.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 77
  • Before_after_shocks.png
    Before_after_shocks.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 87
  • Install.jpg
    Install.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 84
  • Coils_old_vs_new.jpg
    Coils_old_vs_new.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 91
  • Plates_before_vs_after.png
    Plates_before_vs_after.png
    2 MB · Views: 86

Chorky

Observer
One thing that I did not think about when we decided to go with Alaskan was that the camper is two halves. So mitigating drafts is going to be tough, especially since they aren't using the standard popup "tent" siding. Overall, it's not a big deal, but I do wonder if there is a better way of sealing those gaps.

Nice updates! How is this particular situation going with the drafting and dust intrusion? did the extra seals help? I wonder if they made a inside lip that would 'seal' with some weatherstrip when the roof was raised, and instead of just the top over the bottom changed the design so when closed it was flush with another seal - how much better that might be for preventing draft when camping, and dust when driving? Maybe they would be willing to make that so for someone who asked?

This is one aspect that does have me concerned as I'm considering an Alaskan also similar to what you have done.

From your experience thus far, do you think the 10' version would be worth the extra length/weight for interior space?

ncalies

Nice updates! How is this particular situation going with the drafting and dust intrusion? did the extra seals help? I wonder if they made a inside lip that would 'seal' with some weatherstrip when the roof was raised, and instead of just the top over the bottom changed the design so when closed it was flush with another seal - how much better that might be for preventing draft when camping, and dust when driving? Maybe they would be willing to make that so for someone who asked?

This is one aspect that does have me concerned as I'm considering an Alaskan also similar to what you have done.

From your experience thus far, do you think the 10' version would be worth the extra length/weight for interior space?

The additional weather stripping, larger wood blocks, etc have made a difference. Since adding them, we've had very little dust coming in while driving so that's been nice. It just takes a little bit of time to figure out where it's coming in and then how to seal it off. I'm sure there is a better overall solution, potentially really large bulb seal rather than pirelli webbing. The webbing does bend though which might be needed as it raises and lowers, but personally I think it could overall be better, just not sure how quite yet. It doesn't hurt to ask if they would be willing to try something different, they have been doing it this way for a long time so I'm not sure how easy it would be to change.

As for the 10' version, for me personally, I wouldn't go that big but a lot of it depends on how much you are going to be using it and where you are going to be driving it. Having the space in the 8.5' is nice, it's cozy with two people and two dogs so having some extra space could be beneficial, but not needed. I also think we could have gotten around fine with a 7' one or something similar. We do drive a bit off road so having the long wheel base and "heavy-ish" camper is noticeable. It hasn't really hindered us yet, but I personally can't imaging having an even longer vehicle. Again, that is my personal preference because I'm trying to combine comfort with nimbleness and you'll have to give up something to gain the other.

These campers are not the lightest on the market but they also aren't crazy heavy. I would think about how often you plan on using it, where you are using it (mostly warm weather where you are outside a lot or cold weather where you are hanging out all the time inside), and the type of driving you want to do with it.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Holy crap man, you weren't messing around with those plates. 1/2" ? You must be expecting the apocalypse.

ncalies

Holy crap man, you weren't messing around with those plates. 1/2" ? You must be expecting the apocalypse.

Yeah, I'm sure they are overkill, I was originally just going to do 1/4" but the place I got them from said they see 1/4" bend all the time for other purposes so I figured why not just go bigger. That way I don't have to think twice about any of that. At least we can feel confident if an apocalypse does happen, the floor of our camper will always be attached to our flatbed! ;) Super useful...

Darwin

Explorer
What do you think made the most difference with the suspension modifications? I know the Kings are expensive, curious if they are worth it.

ncalies

What do you think made the most difference with the suspension modifications? I know the Kings are expensive, curious if they are worth it.

I think the rear shocks by far made the largest difference. We had the front installed a couple of days before putting the rears on and it was very noticeable once the rears went on. When we had the van, we were told the rears were the biggest bang for the buck so we did it there as well and it made a big difference.

Motafinga

Adventurer
Nice work, the devil is in the details and you're really getting it dialed in. I imagine the floor fasteners are extra critical on your layout since they're the only thing holding it to the truck unlike a slide in where it's surrounded by the bed to mitigate any movement. Good call on ditching the airbags, I used to have em and they caused problems to put it mildly and they're a bandaid at best. A proper spring pack is the way to go and my truck rides waaay better than with bags. I have some custom tuned fox 2.0 shocks which also made a big difference, I imagine the kings are very nice!

ncalies

Nice work, the devil is in the details and you're really getting it dialed in. I imagine the floor fasteners are extra critical on your layout since they're the only thing holding it to the truck unlike a slide in where it's surrounded by the bed to mitigate any movement. Good call on ditching the airbags, I used to have em and they caused problems to put it mildly and they're a bandaid at best. A proper spring pack is the way to go and my truck rides waaay better than with bags. I have some custom tuned fox 2.0 shocks which also made a big difference, I imagine the kings are very nice!

Thanks, it's definitely taking time to dial in but I think each upgrade is making a big difference. Good point on the slide on, I haven't thought about how the walls also "keep it in" even though if the turn buckles broke, I'm sure it would just slide out. But it is comforting on a slide-in having those walls for the rocking motion.

It feels good to have the airbags gone and I'm sure if we had a custom leaf pack, it would be even better. But for now, the shocks with the add-a-leaf are doing great.

I think any shock upgrade is going to make a big difference. We went with the 2.5s because every custom shock tuner we talked to, they all said with the size and weight, we'd get a lot more out of the 2.5s vs the 2.0s. I really don't think it was a sales tactic either, it just made sense so we went with it!

Motafinga

Adventurer
I have my slide in bolted through the floor as well with 1/2 grade 8 bolts because turnbuckles would block the doors, the utilty box is less than 1/2 inch of clearance on the walls so it fits very snug and butts against 3 walls fore & aft. One other thing you might consider is reinforcing some of the joints with strong ties. At least on my rig the camper walls, floor and corners definitely benefited from the added rigidity its just glue and staples.. Mines a 2000 though so perhaps yours is different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94