New Addition To Our Toyota Stable

4runnerteq

Explorer
Picked this little feller up today. 93 with 270k on the clock. Drove it 150 miles home. Ran like a champ. Bought for our soon to be 16 son. Twin to the one we got the older son 6 years ago only white. 22RE, with automatic. Almost rare as hens teeth. Have new Toyota shocks to go all around already. Wiper arms from a 95 4runner (I hate those funky screw adapters the older trucks have) They can be changed over and now can use the hook type blades. Think Im gonna satin black the hood, roof, and down to the curve of the fenders,doors & bed. Add some BFG AT 31x10.50s.Change all the fluids. Ready to go.

4runnerteq

Explorer
nice. perfect first vehicle. I would have loved a truck like that when i was 16.

I think so. Hard to find though. The one we bought for the first son has been wrecked 3 times and Ive put it back together. Just had all new ball joints & tie rods done on it. It just keeps on going.It only has 160k on it and the one we just got with 270k is just as strong and stable. I love these trucks.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Nice find! Maybe see what some wax and a buffing wheel does before trying the satin black? That's a nice, original color on there. It might look better the way it is than with some cover-up paint...that clear coat may want to just keep peeling.

I agree--incredible first truck!

I don't really like how they drive on 31s. After some sets of 31s, the biggest I'll go now is 30x9.50. I wish I hadn't gotten rid of the 235/75R15s that were on the '85 when I got it...I really liked how it drove on them.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Maybe. May just blow the rest of the clear coat off the hood with a pressure and leave it. I have 31s on the other one and its ok. Wonder how some 235 mud terrains would look?

grotto

Observer
Nice little truck, good find. Needless to say I am a bit partial. When my kids were getting their first vehicles I insisted they all be stick shifts, just like me when I learned to drive. The oldest, our daughter, was a natural and today drives a 5-speed car, 180,000 miles and still on the factory clutch. The others, well lets just say for their own safety and the safety of those around them it was clear that automatics were in order.

Don't the automatic trucks have either a 4:56 or 4:88 diff gear ratio depending on what tire size they came with from the factory? I believe automatic 4-Runners with factory 31 x 10.5 tires were all 4:88. I suppose a 16 year old driving a vehicle that is a bit underpowered isn't a bad thing. Heck, even at their best these trucks are underwhelming in the power department. I had 31's on mine (5-speed/4:10's) and went back to 28's recently. Big difference in power to the ground and ease of steering. I don't have power steering. I like it much better. The biggest I will go now is 235/75R15. I like the new Toyo ATII but it is only available P rated in that size.

Good luck with the truck and don't allow your son to let you do all the work on it.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Just brought up the 1993 brochure on toyotareference.com. For 4-cyl, the 4wds had 4.10 with the 5-speed and 4.56 with the auto. Only the V6 with the 31" tire package and auto trans had the 4.88.

4runnerteq

Explorer
That looks great. I got a set of 31s in stock though and they got a $50 rebate on em right now. He will help do some of the work but Im gonna get it ready before taking it home. He dsnt knw I have it just yet.

grotto

Observer
Looking at the part numbers, I see you went with the Toyota gas shocks vs. the standard shock. Would you mind briefly sharing your thoughts behind this decision? How do you like the ride?

The reason I ask is that I am about to pull the trigger on new shocks for myself.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior