National Luna Split-Charge System Charging Issues?

grogie

Like to Camp
Yes, I'm bringing this old thread back to life as i wanted to make an update/comment about my National Luna split charger that I have installed in a Jeep Wrangler TJ, originally installed in 2017 to power a Snomaster fridge.

First of all, the system has been flawless. Since then, I've also installed a dual battery system in a Tacoma that uses the Blue Sea 7622, which includes a manual cut off. My fridge mostly now lives in my Tacoma, but I'm still on occasion taking camping/off-road trips with my Jeep (I recently returned from a 3,700 mile trip).

Anyway, during the last several years, my Jeep has sat more then not, so unless I'm going to be on a trip, I've been manually disconnecting the split charger since it draws on the batteries. With redoing my auxiliary battery box, I noticed in National Luna's instructions that it mentions that the ground wire from the solenoid to the main battery should be attached last, which turns the solenoid on. I therefore had the idea that if I add a switch to that ground wire, then it should shut the solenoid on or off ... therefore I don't need to keep unhooking/rehooking up the split charger to the main and auxiliary batteries.

Anyway, the switch works! (Bottom left corner in first picture.) With the switch down, the solenoid is turned off, and therefore not drawing on either battery and as well as the batteries are not connected.

EhEQIc.jpg

hTZSgr.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94