My Sherpa Build

ExpoScout

Explorer
So a couple of small changes. First, I added a wolfman enduro tanks bag as well as the mirrors (amazon...just search "super sherpa mirrors"). The tank bag is awesome and the mirrors work and look better than the stockers:

9k4g44.jpg

Also added a Walmart atv seat pad until I can do something more permanent. It secures well, doesn't slide around, and does help my butt on longer rides. I don't slide forward as much either:

245by38.jpg

Overall the bike is coming along. I am in the middle of making the windscreen so I'll have that up soon. Also have some hard side boxes to mount as well as some other little things to do:

w2k9w4.jpg

ExpoScout

Explorer
Ok well, I'm about T minus one hour from leaving on my first trip. Unfortunately I am bringing the bike up in my truck, but at least I am going. I got the windscreen mounted along with the hard cases. It went pretty smoothly but after the trip I may need to tweak some things. The windscreen works great! Here she is in her loaded down goodness:

289g4di.jpg

2u58g8w.jpg

I should have some good pics and a separate ride report as well when I get back.

flickbeam

Ok well, I'm about T minus one hour from leaving on my first trip. Unfortunately I am bringing the bike up in my truck, but at least I am going. I got the windscreen mounted along with the hard cases. It went pretty smoothly but after the trip I may need to tweak some things. The windscreen works great! Here she is in her loaded down goodness:

289g4di.jpg

2u58g8w.jpg

I should have some good pics and a separate ride report as well when I get back.

Hey bud, just checking out your Sherpa. Nice job. Just wondering how the trip went and if you have any pics. Very nice job on the bike. I wish I was that handy.

Cheers

ExpoScout

Explorer
Here is the ride report that I promised and the follow up on the work I had completed by that time.
Once again, here is the bike as it was set up for the trip. I actually cheated and put the bike in the back of the truck for the trip up. We just didn't have time to go any other way besides highway and the sherpa would've taken a beating. The starting point was near Linville, NC. The trip ended up being nearly 100 miles offroad over the two days. It was great and the bike did even better than I expected.
289g4di.jpg

35bfjvo.jpg

One of our first stops at a waterfall after getting breakfast and on the road:
21ebym9.jpg

2hdce42.jpg

108bdck.jpg

The small panniers are actually waterproof pistol cases that were given to me. They are small by most pannier standards but did I mention they were free? Anyway, they worked well. I just made a framework that they bolted to that tied into my existing rack system. On the top rack I kept my sleeping bag, tent, and tarp. I used a bungee net to secure it all along with some tie downs. Easy peezy. The camo bag on the seat is actually a small backpack that I wore during the ride. It is nice and low profile and I don't even know I'm wearing it half the time.

We got to ride a lot of fire roads, down towards the area of Mortimer and Edgemont. We did one particularly un-kept road (I use the term "road" lightly) that was crazy. Well, the sherpa did fine. It was a good experience for me being that I am still new to riding, and I did drop it once, but it only pushed the handguard in a little...causing the throttle to stick. It was a quick fix though and we were back on the trail. Here's a hole on the same trail. This is where the tenere took a bath. I told him it was bound to happen sooner or later.
250t7wi.jpg

The more impressive thing was that the tenere made it through some of the places it did. With factory tires no less. I was more than impressed....at both the prowess of the bike and the riding skill of my friend.

The weather was great and we got to see Linville Gorge (since he had not been), a lot of the trout streams in the area, etc. Overall it was a great time and a good chance for me to cut my teeth on some "loaded down" riding.
5b8q3l.jpg

116q5cp.jpg

v8pkc4.jpg

69jhnd.jpg

vmrr85.jpg

Here's our campsite:
11ijofm.jpg

I got to test out some new gear. I am way behind the curve when it comes to the latest minimalist backpacking lightweight doodads. But I finally got a stove and tested it. It worked as expected. No issues. My buddies Jetboil is awesome though. Very highly recommended.
nybk8p.jpg

Overall everything went well. With 95% of the trip being dirt/gravel roads, with another 3 being paved, and maybe 2 just straight muddy trails, the sherpa got 75mpg. With the IMS tank full I could've ridden around for a week on these roads almost. I never had any issues, the bike started fine, power was adequate (really it was ideal for what we were riding), and all of the changes I had made worked well. The windscreen was a great upgrade, the racks were worth their weight in gold, and I didn't really have anything I didn't need. I learned a lot about packing, camp setup, preparation, etc.

I will be adding a more beefy skid plate. I might change the windscreen angle (a little more vertical). The kick stand needs a little bit of an extension and a larger base pad. Handlebar and risers are in the works as we speak. I'm too tall to stand on the pegs for any length of time with the factory bar position. I'm sure I'll find some other things to tweak.

Once again sorry for the delay in getting this posted up but its been a busy few months. Feel free to ask any questions as I'm sure I've forgotten to mention something.

ExpoScout

Explorer
Couple of new things. I plastidipped the plastics black to see how I liked the different color. If I like it I might order the black plastics from kawasaki. Don't have a good pic yet.

I started on the dash. I will have a gps and phone mount when all is said and done:

23k86zq.jpg

I also started on the better skid plate...it, also, is still in progress:

noy62x.jpg

Not shown is the kick stand that I lengthened. I will get better pictures of everything when it's wrapped up.

lonestrom

Adventurer
After I read your build I decided to go with a super Moto fender on my new build !
Thanks..
emuju3az.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExpoScout

Explorer
So I had the adapters for the aluminum bar ends to attach the handguards....but the inner clamps had to be modified to fit the protaper:

2q24w49.jpg

Here they are installed. Much nicer than the stock bars, a little wider, and the new rally grips are much better:

21ovx8j.jpg

104kyl3.jpg

6rhk5g.jpg

I rode with the bars a little today and the height is better for standing. They are a little wider which is kinda nice (for me), and they seem to vibrate a little less. Overall I'm very happy with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz