My rusty 100

Volunteer2005LC

Just bought ours and it was originally from NY. I didn't think to look underneath since that really isn't an issue in Tennessee. I'll look tomorrow though ?

bkg

Explorer
Just bought ours and it was originally from NY. I didn't think to look underneath since that really isn't an issue in Tennessee. I'll look tomorrow though ?

I’ve learned the hard way, being from MN originally - I’ll now only by vehicles from the south now.

I live in Wisconsin and bought my LC in Chicago. My rust looked just as bad, but my gas tank skid was gone too. The plus side? Both are cheap and easy to replace. Get new ones from a junk yard and bolt them up. Aside from breaking bolts during the replacement, I haven't had any rust related issues.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Can you post pics of the underside of your LC after the "rustoration"? I've been using Krown for the last few years, but there's still more surface rust under my rig than I like.

I'll see if I can grab you some shots tonight. What I like is that, if I find any rust spots, they will wire brush or acid treat as needed for free. Then they'll spray their version of fluid film (NH oil coat they call it) over the top. That's about $100.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I’ve learned the hard way, being from MN originally - I’ll now only by vehicles from the south now.
And it's a limited swath of that, nowhere they get ice, snow, hurricane storm surges, beaches, tides. It's pretty much the top of the list reason you might find yourself in Alamogordo, for example. I'll take paint that's been baked into dust on the roof if the frame is still factory fresh with a protective coating of armadillo guts.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Can you post pics of the underside of your LC after the "rustoration"? I've been using Krown for the last few years, but there's still more surface rust under my rig than I like.
Grabbed a couple pictures for ya.

XiUd1U9h.jpg

fweqpxCh.jpg

bkg

Explorer
And it's a limited swath of that, nowhere they get ice, snow, hurricane storm surges, beaches, tides. It's pretty much the top of the list reason you might find yourself in Alamogordo, for example. I'll take paint that's been baked into dust on the roof if the frame is still factory fresh with a protective coating of armadillo guts.

Great point - bought a 4Runner once that was from Hawaii. Frame was awesome. Body was rusting from the top down. And with all of the hurricane and flood damaged vehicles, the band does get narrower.

My xtracab is from CA, my doublecab is from AZ, and my 4Runner is from SC/east TN.

Last two doublecab were purchased from ExPo members.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Thanks @lumpski that looks pretty good. Was it crusty before?

Yeah, it had some crust. It's not perfect now but it's way better than when I got it. There are a few places that I'll have them touch up this year when I get it fluid filmed for this winter.

pedalwrench

Haha, OP clearly has not lived on the east coast. Cruisers get a lot more rusty than that! !!!

Really, don't sweat it. Nothing is going to fall off. Maybe the skid plate. No use for that pos anyway.

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

4xdog

Explorer
I'm an Ohioan originally, where Rust Belt really means something. I'm with everyone else -- the splash shield/skid plate is toast, but those are thin stamped metal with marginal finishing anyway. Easily replaced. I'd be surprised if the frame had anything more than surface rust. What's shown in the photos doesn't look severe to my eyes.

This is what rust belt cars can look like:
i-3fG8VXb-XL.jpg

i-HWxXkCj-XL.jpg

i-4rKQXVX-XL.jpg

i-7nw29kd-XL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles