My "New" Willy's II Trailer Build

slimtwo

Adventurer
Saturday, I started painting the inside of the box. Starting with primer sealer,

06182201.jpg

06182202.jpg

then today, I applied the top coat.

06202201.jpg

06202202.jpg

At this point, I am ready to flip the box back over and finish the interior. Then I am on to the outside of the box. I have decided that automotive paint is just not practical for me to use. If it were strictly because I wanted to make sure that the paint would last longer, then maybe it would be worth it. However, that’s not the case. A high-quality exterior latex enamel, will hold up just fine, if not better. Plus, touch ups, if necessary, would be a lot easier, and more cost effective since the shelf life is a lot more. And a friend from church, gave me a great idea for matching the paint on my jeep. All I need, is some factory touch up paint, and I can make a color chip that will be as close as one can get.

By the end of this week, I might just be ready to mount the box on the trailer. Yahoo!

More later.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Today I finished the painting inside the box. Now comes the exterior colors. I ordered touch up paint for my jeep, from a company on eBay, and with that paint, I will create a color chip to take in to HD or Lowes to have them color match some paint for the box. A friend gave me the idea. I should have that by Monday, then I can get the paint. In the meantime, I have some sanding to do on the outside of the box to prepare for the paint. I will be applying a coat of primer to ensure that the paint goes on even, and so it will stick. Stay tuned!

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
The grey is gonna work well with the green.

06222201.jpg

The touch up paint will be here on Monday, then I can have the paint made up. More later.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Touch up paint arrived today, so I can make my color chip and get the paint made. But it is to hot right now to be in the shop (104), so I'm gonna wait until it cools down some. Supposed to be back in the 80's this weekend. I will get the paint made though in the mean time.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Good afternoon, everyone! Happy 4th of July!!! I went down and worked on the trailer this morning, sanded the box, then laid down the primer coat.

07042203.jpg

07042202.jpg

I guess there wasn't enough lite for the picture, the match is pretty darn close I think. We'll see.

07042201.jpg

Tomorrow, I plan on laying down the first coat of the base coat, and perhaps the 2nd, and final coat of the finish, at least on the main box. I still need to do the doors. However, I can get the box done, and on the trailer, and then finish the rest of it . More later!

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Alright, I got the first coat of green on the box. I’m pretty happy with the color, I think it is really close to the Jeep color. I will of course have to get the box out in the sun, and next to the jeep to really see it, but it looks good. It is going to take at least two coats, and probably three, in order to get a good uniform coat. So, I’ll have to get another gallon of paint, more than likely. I’ll keep laying it down, until I get it the way I want.

07052202.jpg

07052201.jpg

Stay tuned.

Happy trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Well, I was hoping two coats would do it, but I’m gonna need to lay down another coat. It’s almost there, but you can still see through it. I should have used a darker primer I guess; however, it is, what it is. Tomorrow, I will lay down a third coat and see how it looks. But I’m thinking that it will be fine. And if not, I will probably call it a day anyway.

07062201.jpg

07062203.jpg

07062202.jpg

I bought my two batteries for the trailer today. I decided to use the Optima battery. I went with the yellow top, because they (4 Wheel Parts) said that it is the toughest in their series. So, I bought two of the yellow tops. I ordered them to fit in my jeep. That way, should I have a battery failure in the jeep, I can grab one of the trailer batteries, and put it in the jeep. I also have to finish getting all the plumbing parts to install the water tank. The box will be ready to go in the trailer after this next coat of paint. So, I have to have everything under the trailer buttoned up before the box goes in. It’s much easier to work from the top, and I don’t want to have to get under the trailer to install batteries or water tank, or anything else if I don’t have too. It’s gonna go fast now, I hope I can keep up! Stay tuned everyone.

Happy Trails!

gatorgrizz27

Cool build! Are you planning on storing it in a garage? Unfortunately, if it’s out in the weather the plywood will eventually check (develop small cracks) even with the resin and paint, without fiberglass cloth over it. Not likely to be an issue for trips out in the weather.

slimtwo

Adventurer
Cool build! Are you planning on storing it in a garage? Unfortunately, if it’s out in the weather the plywood will eventually check (develop small cracks) even with the resin and paint, without fiberglass cloth over it. Not likely to be an issue for trips out in the weather.
Thanks for the compliment! Yes, the plan is to keep it in the garage. However, eventually, I plan to build a shelter in the back yard to store it.

slimtwo

Adventurer
Ok, so I am done painting the box.

07072202.jpg

07072201.jpg

07072203.jpg

I still have the doors to paint, and interior to figure out and build, and paint, but that stuff I can do at home. However, the box the way it sits, is ready to go on the trailer. Now, all I have to do is get the batteries in the trailer and wired, and the water tank in place and plumbed. Actually, the water tank may need to wait until I get the weather stripping on the trailer. I was going to put in on first, before we slide the box on, but I think I will need to get the box on, and jack it up slightly, and install the weather stripping on the frame. I’m concerned there won’t be enough clearance if I do it first. So, I will need the space underneath to install the weather stripping, then I can install the water tank. Once the box is in place and anchored, and the lights and brakes are wired up and working, I need to make an appointment for the DMV, to get the trailer registered. The more I think about it, the more, little things that pop up, I need to do. Oh well, one thing at a time. More later.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Hello all! So, I didn’t really do any work on the trailer today, I’m back in pondering mode. I have not received my yellow top batteries yet, but I could still think about the best way to mount them, and make them secure.

I'm gonna wait for the yellow tops to get here before I finalize anything, I believe the yellow tops are different from the red top. This one belongs to my friend.

07092204.jpg

I also put the water tank in it’s place to look at clearances and plumbing. The vent fitting is vary close to the frame, but it shouldn't matter.

07092205.jpg

The most exciting thing I did however, was to line up the trailer and box, to verify that the box will slide onto the trailer from the table it is currently sitting on… and it does!

07092203.jpg

07092202.jpg

That is exciting! I did measure everything, so I was pretty sure my idea would work, but seeing, is believing. I will definitely need some help however, it was scary enough, just moving it in part way. it is tight!

07092201.jpg

I do still intend to mount the batteries first, I just had to see how it was gonna work. I was hoping the batteries would be here yesterday, but alas, they did not make it. They’re saying Monday now. More later.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
I forgot to mention, the left wheel does half to come off in order for the box to slide all the way on, just in case anybody was wondering. :)

slimtwo

Adventurer
Yesterday, I was supposed to get the two optima batteries, but only one got here. So, I took my friends old one, and the new one, and was able to figure out what to do for the battery hold downs.

07122204.jpg

So today, I spent the day working on the hold downs, and getting them welded on the trailer. I haven’t been in fabrication mode for a while, and it took a little bit to make sure I was set up right, but it was all good.

07122203.jpg

I welded the battery straps to the cross member that adds the structural load bearing of the battery tray.

07122202.jpg

07122201.jpg

So, I have to install the batteries from underneath, but that is the only way to do it, once the box is on the trailer. When I load the batteries, I just run the tray up until the batteries slip in between the straps, and the tops of the batteries snug up to the straps. At that point, the batteries are nice and secure. Once the batteries are in place, I should never have to remove them. Unless I need to replace one of them. I will be able to complete the battery wiring Friday when the other battery comes in. at that point, time for the box to go in the trailer. More later!

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Hello all, I have been in the shop tinkering on the little things on the trailer, getting ready to transfer the box on to the trailer. I picked the second battery today from 4WP, only the battery that came in had sat on someone’s shelf for almost a year (9/21). However, I did not see that, until I got it back to the shop, and removed the spacer tray, that was taped to the top of the battery covering the posts.

07142203.jpg

Anyway, I went ahead and set both the batteries in the tray, to ensure the tolerance were good, which they were.

I order to access the batteries after the box is in place, it will have to be done from underneath, with a floor jack preferably.

07142201.jpg 07142202.jpg

The battery tray is above the lowest part of the A arms, ensuring protection, and a very low "CG."

4WP said they would have another battery there by morning, to bring the other one back then for the exchange. Am I being too anal about this? I’m not trying to be. I know that 4WP would honor the warranty by the date I purchased it, but my main concern, is that it is almost a year old, and I would like it to at least be close to the date of the other battery. That way, when the time comes to replace them (assuming I’m still here by then), it would be easier to replace them both at the same time. I don’t know, you tell me. Anyway, I held off wiring the batteries until this is resolved. So, I’m working on the plumbing for the water tank too. All for now.

Happy trails!

Last edited:

slimtwo

Adventurer
Alright, 4WP had the battery for me this morning (7/22), so I took the other one down and exchanged it. Got back to the shop, and installed them. Once that was done, I got it up to the height needed to lock the batteries in place, then ran the top nuts down to lock in the height, applied red thread locker on those nuts to lock them in place. Next, I hooked up the battery cables, and the plug.

07152201.jpg

07152202.jpg

I’m not sure I like that the bolts on the terminals are so exposed, so I am going to see if I can find something that will provide better protection against anything metal getting up there and shorting out the batteries. Of course, I might be worried over nothing, I don’t know. At any rate, time to transfer the box on to the trailer.

More later!

Happy Trails!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles