My FZJ80 Overland Build

NM-Frontier

Explorer
WARN VR 8000 Winch

IMG_5076.JPG

I finally got around to installing my Warn VR8000 winch this weekend. I think that a 10k would be the optimal size for the Criser but I had originally got it for my Tacoma before I got the Cruiser and the 8k was perfect for my set up at the time. Even being a bit on the small size I think it will be fine for my application. I don't do a lot of hard core wheeling so the winch will be mostly for the odd self recovery and not used every weekend on the trail. Plus it was never really used on the Tacoma and it wasn't doing any good sitting at home so I figured why not?:sombrero:

IMG_5074.JPG

On the 80 seriese ARB the winch needs to be spaced back about 1/2" to clear the bumper were it bends backs. ARB sells a spacer kit but, I found these spacers at the local hardware store, they worked great, now that I know everything clears fine I'll trim and paint them.

IMG_5073.JPG

The solenoid box mounted above the winch for easy access. Not as low profile or as clean as hiding it in the bumper or under the hood but I got the box to sit pretty low and am happy the way it turned out.

IMG_5071.JPG

The bumper has a plate drilled to integrate the roller fairlead in to the bumper. I used 5/8 x 6" bolts for the rollers.

dcoy

Adventurer
That mountain tandem sounds like fun!:sombrero:

Oh yes. It's a Ventana: Dual suspension, Front/Year discs. The long wheel base makes it more stable, especially at speed, than a single over rough terrain. The turning radius makes it difficult on tight, technical singletrack, but overall it's a blast.

GCRad1

Adventurer
Just spent a couple of nights reading your thread - NICE RIG!!!! How do you like the gas/water can holder so far? Any thoughts on if you would mount the water cans it differently? Different location?

SOFME

Observer
Also I just wanted to say your build is amazing and almost exactly what I will be aiming for. Very methodical and purposeful.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Just spent a couple of nights reading your thread - NICE RIG!!!! How do you like the gas/water can holder so far? Any thoughts on if you would mount the water cans it differently? Different location?

Thanks,
The Mojave jerry can holder has been great, the location is a little tough if your trying to load up two full cans by yourself but with a helper its fine. I think a better set up may be to move the RTT to the front of the rack and the jerrys to the back so you could use the tailgate to load the cans. But I'd have to flip the rack over to lose the rail up front to move the tent, another thing that keeps me from this is the cover would hang down over the driver and passenger doors instead of just the passenger door as it does now, the way I roll it up may not work if its moved up. The water cans work great in the truck, keeps them out of the sun.

SOFME

Observer
Thanks for the compliments! I do have a snatch block in my kit, just need to get a winch line extension since the cable is for the most part is cut in half when using a snatch block.

I'm sure you have already worked through how you plan to work it out. If I may make a recommendation... I prefer having a shorter winch line for a number of reasons... For my kit 50 foot synthetic line on the winch with shackle (not a fan of hooks). In the recovery box one 60 foot line extension, two lead xray vests (serve as line dampners), a snatch blocks, four shackles, and two tree trunk straps. May seem overkill.... If I feel I need the snatch block I will run out my winch line as far as possible, connect the line extension, run through the block and connect extension to the truck.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Awesome build, I like that the mounting isn't permanent for the bike mounts. Gives you an option to attach other accessories later.
Will keep that in mind.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Awesome build, I like that the mounting isn't permanent for the bike mounts. Gives you an option to attach other accessories later.
Will keep that in mind.

Exactly, it's nice to have it semi modular for the bike stuff since they don't go on every trip. Not sure what else I'd put back there at the moment but I'm sure I'll need the space at some point!

NM-Frontier

Explorer
I'm sure you have already worked through how you plan to work it out. If I may make a recommendation... I prefer having a shorter winch line for a number of reasons... For my kit 50 foot synthetic line on the winch with shackle (not a fan of hooks). In the recovery box one 60 foot line extension, two lead xray vests (serve as line dampners), a snatch blocks, four shackles, and two tree trunk straps. May seem overkill.... If I feel I need the snatch block I will run out my winch line as far as possible, connect the line extension, run through the block and connect extension to the truck.

Sounds like we got similar set ups just I have one tree strap and still need the extension, but in reality I think I'll be fine, the truck doesn't see much heavy winching.

temple

Adventurer
Nice build thread. Can you tell me how much the rack cost? Looking for a good expo rack and the website has said sold out and no prices for a while. Thanks

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Broad Canyon

Here is some pics from this weekend exploring some areas off Broad Canyon just north of town.

IMG_5140.JPG

Found a VW Bus.

IMG_5161.JPG

Old road leading to a rock house ruin.

IMG_5143.JPG

IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5152.JPG

Seems to still get some use.

IMG_5156.JPG

IMG_5166.JPG

IMG_5171.JPG

IMG_5182.JPG