My Colorado Travelings

TripLeader

Explorer
One More from the Archives--Rocky Moutain Nat'l Park 2010

I discovered some more photos I had not seen in awhile, so I decided to post them too.
-----
This is a trip I took in August 2010. I have some family in north central Colorado, so I invited my parents to camp with me at Rocky Mountain National Park and combine it with a family visit.
-----
After the visit, we went and camped at Moraine Park Campground. From there my parents dropped me off for my five-day, four-night backpack. My itinerary was to start at Wild Basin Trailhead, spend a night at Siskin, two nights at Thunder Lake, and one night at Upper East Inlet, and then exit at East Inlet trailhead. One of the highlights was to cross Boulder-Grand Pass.
-----
Near the start of the hike.
DSCF6697.jpg
-----
DSCF6699.jpg
-----
DSCF6701.jpg

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
-August 2010-

The Patrol Cabin at Thunder Lake. (Boulder-Grand Pass is above the glacier in the distance.)
DSCF6763.jpg
-----
DSCF6839.jpg
-----
The stone path nearby.
DSCF6730.jpg

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
-August 2010-

A view looking at Longs Peak (second from the left) as I gained elevation going toward Boulder-Grand Pass.
DSCF6848.jpg
-----
Another view as I hiked up toward the pass.
DSCF6849.jpg
-----
A hiker in front of me going toward the pass.
DSCF6851.jpg
-----
A view of the pass, in the distance (center).
DSCF6855.jpg

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
-August 2011-

Lake of Many Winds is just below the pass.
DSCF6860.jpg
-----
DSCF6864.jpg
-----
Looking up at the glacier by the pass.
DSCF6862.jpg
-----
A hiker by that glacier. He helps to show the scale.
DSCF6863.jpg

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
-August 2010-

As I continued hiking up to the pass, I spied a big bear and two cubs. The (I presume) mother and the two cubs were also heading up. The mom and one of the cubs darted out of view before I got a photo of them. The straggler raced to catch up to them.
-----
DSCF6865.jpg
-----
DSCF6866.jpg
----
DSCF6867.jpg
-----
DSCF6870.jpg
-----
Needless to say, I did not want to follow behind them. I was not too close to them to begin with. I waited for awhile and then proceeded up, making plenty of noise along the way.

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
-August 2010-

Continuing up toward the pass...
-----
Looking back at Lake of Many Winds. Thunder Lake is in the distance, and Falcon Lake is just barely shown.
DSCF6871.jpg
-----
Just below the ridge of Boulder-Grand Pass. (The pass connects Boulder County to Grand County.)
DSCF6875.jpg
-----
On top, at 12,061 feet, looking out on the other side. (The west half--Grand Co.)
DSCF6883.jpg
-----
Fourth Lake--one of the small lakes above Lake Verna.
DSCF6885.jpg

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
-August 2010-

Fifth Lake--well above Lake Verna.
DSCF6886.jpg
-----
Some of the scenery as I hiked down to Lake Verna.
DSCF6909.jpg
-----
It was basically a game trail that I followed as I descended on the west side of the pass. It disappeared on me. It worked out though, as I could navigate by heading downhill and paralleling the lakes.
-----
The view from the upper end of Lake Verna.
DSCF6919.jpg

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
-August 2010-

From then on, the water was full of trout. They were easy to spot from the bank.
DSCF6927.jpg
-----
DSCF6929.jpg
-----
This sign documented the "trail" I had just descended.
DSCF6940.jpg
-----
Looking over Lake Verna and back up at Boulder-Grand Pass. (it's the long flat area, left of center.)
DSCF6942.jpg

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
-August 2010-

I spent a night at Upper East Inlet campsite and then hiked down the next day.
-----
DSCF6962.jpg
-----
DSCF6965.jpg
-----
DSCF6979.jpg
-----
DSCF6990.jpg
-----
DSCF7007.jpg
-----
DSCF7012.jpg
-----
DSCF7016.jpg

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
-August 2010-

My parents and I spent a night at Glacier Bay Campground.
DSCF7020.jpg
-----
We took a hike up to a mountain tarn name Emerald Lake.
-----
A smaller pond on the way up.
DSCF7047.jpg
-----
One of the views--Glacier Gorge. (Of course that huge mountain in the center is Longs Peak.)
DSCF7048.jpg
-----
Emerald Lake.
DSCF7062.jpg

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
-August 2010-

Later that afternoon and into the evening, an elk herd showed up in the valley by the campground.
DSCF7087.jpg
-----
DSCF7089.jpg
-----
Those were the main points of the trip. As always, thanks for reading, and I hope you find it enjoyable.

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
Sept. 2017

Part One [Introduction]

Earlier this month, I went back to Colorado with two good friends. We went to climb 14ers. They had never been to the top of a Colorado mountain.
-----
We had a planning session in the spring. It was then we decided for a trip to the area around the Collegiate Peaks near Buena Vista.
-----
The plan was to leave early in the morning to get to Colorado by early afternoon. However, my friends' excitement had built up the night before our scheduled departure. They wanted to leave immediately and drive through the night. I've worked overnight before and driven overnight to get to destinations before. It wasn't necessarily my choice, but they wanted to do it, so I did not object.
-----
We rolled into Buena Vista at 6:30 a.m. Dawn was breaking and we got our first good look at a mountain.
aP1250427 -1.jpg
-----
We stopped and had breakfast at the Evergreen Café. I definitely recommend that place. Hot food and hot coffee was a needed break after the all-night drive.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles