Mortonm's 2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond

mortonm

Expedition Leader
My Bronco is getting built this month so I thought I would start out a build thread. This probably wont be a major build thread for reasons I will get to, but it will serve to document my experiences and travels with it.

First a little bit about my history. I have another fairly large build thread on here for my 2001 Xterra, it has been gone a few years now. It was pretty mild (small lift, 235 85 R16 tires and not much else) build but it got me everywhere i need to at the time. I did not look at is as an off-road vehicle but merely a way to get into the back country. Most of my trips were to the Pennsylvania Wilds and West Virginia region. I am located in Ontario Canada.

Here is a picture of the Xterra in Bald Eagle State Forest in about 2013 or so and a link the build thread of a few of my extensive write-ups

P1020663_zpsb26c597e.jpg

In the interim years I have had a kid and a string of smaller commuter friendly vehicles. Now that my son is older and will be easier to bring along on such adventures I knew it was time to order something.

In January of 2022 I ordered a 4 door Bronco.

I picked the Black Diamond for several reasons. I really like the idea of the waterproof vinyl seats and vinyl floors. It came with a rear locker (definitely handy and not something my Xterra had).

I ordered the advanced transfer case which provides an "AWD" 4A mode which will be great in the mild slop and slush up here in the winter. It also moves the ratio from 2.72 to 3.06 providing a little bit more advantage. I went with the 7 speed manual transmission (6 forward plus a crawler gear) which i am quite excited for. With 4LO and in C gear the crawl ratio is quite high. The axle gear ratio is 4.46 which helps as well and provides some room for potentially bigger tires.

The Black Diamond also comes with quite a bit of skid protection on the bottom, sill guards, auxiliary up-fitter switches and a few other things. I ended up selection the Eruption green, in no small part to green being my sons favourite colour. The stock tires are 265 0R17 General Grabber ATX tires, which are all I could ask for from the factory. This is the same height my Xterra had been upgraded to. When these wear our (or the itch gets me) I will likely step up to 255 80R17 tires as no lift is required.

The reasons I listed above is why I likely wont get too crazy upgrading the main drive train. It has everything my Xterra did and a lot more.

I will update with pictures as it comes in but here are a few I have stolen from around the internet that represent my exact build

Screenshot-20220203-213827-Facebook.jpg

Screenshot-20220204-171936-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20220209-134504-Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Congrats! I love the colour you chose. It looks really good with the black steelies. Is that what you ordered as well?

Correct, the black diamond comes standard with the black steelies, there is an optional alloy that looks pretty good but i am really happy with the steelies. From the outside mine will look identical to those pictured including the roof rack.

85_Ranger4x4

Build date is tomorrow.

Let's hope the shipping goes smoothly

In our experiance their tracking system is a cheap knockoff of usps's system.

Ours still said our car was at the rail yard in kc after we had taken delivery.

Bronco 6g was doing neat spreadsheets based on build week. It was fun to watch everybody update theirs. Dunno if anyone still does that or not.

EDIT:

Last edited:

mortonm

Expedition Leader
In our experiance their tracking system is a cheap knockoff of usps's system.

Ours still said our car was at the rail yard in kc after we had taken delivery.

Bronco 6g was doing neat spreadsheets based on build week. It was fun to watch everybody update theirs. Dunno if anyone still does that or not.

EDIT:

Cheers. Hopefully it gives me a hint at least once it leaves Detroit area. I'm only 4 hours (and the border) away.

Thanks for the link. I actually have my info on there! Haven't really looked at the spreadsheet this week but I doubt much will be updated so far

85_Ranger4x4

Now is when the spreadsheet starts getting fun to watch!

Make sure to print and/or save your window sticker from your email if you want it, they don't work very long after your car gets built.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Orders shipping by truck are easier to track than those that ship by rail.

With rail they kinda go off grid, it goes in on that end and you hope it comes out on your end.

About like pooh sticks...

Hahaha yeah. I live near a pretty big city so imagine the truck won't take long to fill up

Paul D.

View attachment 748555Well it's all built. Just waiting for it to get on the truck and make the 3 hour trip.
My Bronco Badlands was built on 15 OCT 2022 and was supposed to ship via convoy within the week, per Ford. The shipping dates have come and gone without any movement or update. I called Ford Chat this afternoon (26 OCT) and they had no status other than it was still awaiting shipment. I have to say that convoy mode has turned out to be more of an info blackout than going by rail. (At least the Order Track app provides some rail movement info.) At any rate, we just have to be patient and sooner or later, those built trucks will be delivered.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
My Bronco Badlands was built on 15 OCT 2022 and was supposed to ship via convoy within the week, per Ford. The shipping dates have come and gone without any movement or update. I called Ford Chat this afternoon (26 OCT) and they had no status other than it was still awaiting shipment. I have to say that convoy mode has turned out to be more of an info blackout than going by rail. (At least the Order Track app provides some rail movement info.) At any rate, we just have to be patient and sooner or later, those built trucks will be delivered.

Really sorry to hear that. Hope it gets there soon.

Mine showed in transit yesterday morning and was at my dealer late last night.

I have an out of town wedding this weekend so likely won't get it until Monday or Tuesday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior