Morris Mule Trailers

LostBurro

Observer
I joined the forums because I thought they were for product reviews [of my Morris Mule trail model trail], NOT people reviews.”,”some folks on here got IMMEDIATELY angrily/emotionally reactive to a single communication that objectively outlined limits”.
Your “product review” was written more in the form of an attack than a review. That's why people were IMMEDIATELY up in arms over your forum entry. I, for one, have had nothing but the best customer service from MMTC.

Lost Burro, as requested I will try to expand on your thoughts.....
I did not ask the right questions (my fault), and wasn't given accurate information about its capabilities where I did ask “(i.e. is the tent mounting system universal to all RTTs)
MMTC markets it as a “rack system”, not a “tent mounting system”.

...the trailer didn't meet my intended uses, which were largely camping with an RTT (for which it is very clearly marketed)...
Where? Nowhere on the MMTC website does it say the rack system is for RTT mounting.
From the MMTC website: “The standard Hi/Lo Rack allows easy and secure external cargo capacity whether it is a canoe, a load of plywood, or a college freshman’s furniture.”

Yes, people HAVE put RTT's on their MMTC trailer (I've got one in the garage right now, waiting to be installed. The issue I'm having is with the tent, not the trailer.) and there are a whooping TWO photos on the MMTC website of a single trailer with a CVT RTT installed. But that's a personal trailer and the trailer owner “modified it” for their own purpose. Two photos of one trailer with an RTT installed, and many photos of canoes and kayaks being transported and it is “clearly marketed” towards RTT's? I don't get the connection there.

...I wish I had built my own.
If you have the knowledge (welding certification) and equipment to do that, knock yourself out.

a) Clarification of your suggested timeline incongruency: I ordered and paid the trailer deposit on 4/7 with promise of pre-Memorial weekend delivery; I got the trailer on 6/5; I called the dealer on 6/5 regarding the bar interference with tent operations, then have a whole series of texts, vmails, and emails sent thereafter to the dealer who assured me I would hear directly from Morris Mule; on 7/10, I got my first attempt of contact from Morris. Thus, I waited for a month after delivery before any attempt from Morris to discuss concerns. When concerns were discussed, I had already made modifications myself, and outstanding issues were dismissed by Morris Mule.
That still doesn't explain how June 5th equates to the “middle of June”.

“b) I would argue the stabilizer bars are not actually stabilizer bars if they drop down to ONE allowable level that didn't even level the trailer on our pilot text to a nearly flat campground site; they would certainly not work for offroad/backcountry camping.
Again, from the MMTC website:
“Rear stabilizer legs support the rear of the trailer when unhooked from the vehicle to prevent tipping and allow tire changes without the need of a jack. Legs can be pinned in the "up" position for travel or can easily be removed.”
Where does it say these legs are adjustable. I also drilled my own extra holes. It wasn't even an issue. (For me.)

c) Thanks for the tip on spare tire placement; I had considered using the rear hitch receiver for such and that is in fact what I asked Morris to do for us (yes, we could do that ourselves but at this point some customer service would have been welcomed).
I was joking about using the rear receiver to mount a spare. Nothing against MMTC, but, the only thing I will ever stick in the rear receiver of my Trail Grade is a BumperDumper. If you hang a bunch of weight (guessing 70#s) on that tube it's not “will” it break off, it's “when” will it break off. And, given the places I take mine, that would be my first trip with that attachment. If the tube went forward far enough to tie into the next frame crossmember, I would rethink my position on this. But that would add cost and, with all of the things that would be really cool........I might as well import a Conqueror.

That said, my intended use was to haul bikes and I would need an alternate placement for the bike rack. I proposed to Morris Mule that I would try a dual hitch receiver up front at my own expense if Morris could accommodate my request to move the spare tire to the back (most ideal) or under the cargo rack (less ideal).
So, you EXPECTED MMTC to do this for you? That is certainly the way it sounds. MMTC is one of the most accommodating companies I've ever dealt with but your request is written more like a demand. I wouldn't have been as nice to you as they were. (Years in retail tends to do that to a person.)(NO, the customer is NOT always right.)

Morris exact suggestion (copy-pasted) is:
"There is really no practical place to mount the spare tire, except on the tongue. Personally I don’t use a spare carrier but put the spare where it best fits on a particular trip. If it is suspended out over the back of the trailer it must be belayed to the trailer and opening the tailgate becomes a 5 minute ordeal.
And, they would be correct in that statement.

I'm not sure where that leaves the spare tire... inside the tub, strapped to the top of the tub?
If need be. Create solutions, not problems.

d) The rear hitch receiver is a trailer issue, not a rack issue. It is placed flush with the trailer and does not extend out enough for any hitch-mount bike rack to operate with a bike on it without using a separate hitch extender.
I would imagine it is flush so that you aren't constantly banging your shin on it.

...does not extend out enough for any hitch-mount bike rack to operate with a bike on it...
Possibly due to the fact that it was not designed specifically with “hitch mount bike rack”s in mind.

I drive a Rubicon, I have spent years doing search and rescue as well as supporting wildfire mitigation teams running a woodchipper, I serve as a volunteer bike mechanic for a non-profit that supports underprivileged kids, and my friends and family generally consider me a relatively nice person even if people on here don't).
I don't see what bearing this has on the subject issue. But OK.

You say,
“I'm no mechanic
But then you go on to say,
I serve as a volunteer bike mechanic...
Which is it?

c_mack9

Adventurer
She wishes she would have built her own, but then can't seem to make minimal customizations to make it fit her personal needs. I would LOVE to see one that she built herself.

LostBurro

Observer
FYI for anyone with a Morris Mule trailer wanting to add backup lights. (This "may" apply to Ruger trailers also. I don't know what brand lights they use.) Optronics has a new light that incorporates the backup light into the same assembly. That gives you Stop/Tail/Turn and Back up all in one unit, and it's the same dims as your existing light.
P/N STL211RB. You would need two of those assys ($30ea @ E-Trailers) and two A47PB (90° connector)($1.15ea, same place) or two A45CB (straight connector)($1.25ea, same place).
I'm sure they are available elsewhere, but etrailers is the only place I could find that had them in stock. Fairly new, but they should be found on Amazon and ebay shortly.

You'd still need to run wire for them, but it sure beats a separate light hanging out in space, just waiting to get broken off.

LostBurro

Observer
and hauling bikes along on such trips
For your bicycle mounting:
Check your club members for a couple used Yakima ("LockJaw", "Viper", "8002107", "Forklift", "BOA", "etc") or Thule ("Sidearm", Sprint, "etc"), or whatever off brand roof mount carrier they may have. Throw away the mfg roof rack attaching hardware and bolt the danged things to the fender brackets on your Mule. If the fenders will hold my fat ********, they sure as purgatory will hold a bicycle.
Just stick a bolt in...the extrusion, same as your tent is probably mounted, drill matching holes in the fender mounting brackets and 'voila'. You have your bike mounts.

I don't know for sure, but I'd be surprised if you weren't able to open the lid halves (after removing the bikes of course) and use as intended. The only time the racks might be in your way would, possibly, be when opening/closing your tent. Carry a two-step stool and it's all good.

jungblud

Observer
That is creative. I personally do not see how every hitch mount bike rack I have ever owned, which is a small collection, wouldn't work back there. At least nothing a $20 hitch extender wouldn't solve instantly.

Then again I have a taller rack than the standard one Morris had at the time my trailer was being built. Perhaps that is an issue for older bikes from 1880? :)

They provided the taller rack set at my asking without hesitating and gave me the shorter ones as well to my surprise. These will come in handy as I reconfigure for my new Baroud and the EZAwn Manta.

My CVT and the Manta had a degree of collision in their inherent designs, particularly around the rod tensioned window over hangs. Something I didn't think through in my rush to get roadworthy.

LostBurro

Observer
My CVT and the Manta had a degree of collision in their inherent designs, particularly around the rod tensioned window over hangs. Something I didn't think through in my rush to get roadworthy.
Interesting. I hadn't even thought about the rods being an issue with an awning. Currently I have my awning on my sw. That way, if I leave the trailer at a base camp, I've always got shade with me. (Rather important in Death Valley.) However, yesterday I was looking at ways to mount it, or another one, on my trailer. I installed my CVT on the trailer, just last week.

Your CVT was a lot bigger than my Mt Bailey, did you notice any top heavy feel when you had it on there?

LostBurro

Observer
Here is my, so far, experience with my Morris Mule trailer:

I received my Morris Mule Trail Grade trailer on 23March2015, just over two weeks time before a planned trip to Death Valley National Park. Plenty of time. Right?

The first thing I noticed was that there was no top on the crate. Staples and pieces of torn cardboard told me it did have one at one time. When crated, the short rack posts are used to tie into the crating material. One of them was bent. Now, these pieces are not thin pieces of aluminum but some heavy gauge square tube. Somebody hit this thing HARD, most likely with a forklift. I immediately called Morris, and they said they would get a replacement out to me. Which they did.

I got it home and started the inspection, part inventory and un-crating process. There were a couple of spots in the front rack area where the paint had been rubbed through by the wheel/tire shipping location. At this point in the game there was nothing Morris could do about it, so I rattle-canned it with some matching primer. Good as new. I was later to find some much larger areas of damage on the underside of the cargo box. Damage from somewhere in the shipping process. Looked to be, once again, forklift damage. Rattle-can to the rescue once more.

The assembly process went off without a hitch. Well, almost.
When I got to the wheel/tire combo installation I found one of them had a HUGE amount of weight on it (7+ oz on the inside and 8+oz on the outside). I might consider this "normal" for 31X10.5X15 6PR, or larger, but not for a P235/75R15 4PR. I threw it in the station wagon and headed to my tire store of choice. Hmmmm. Fancy machine said the wheel was "bent". Actually, it was out of round on the inside bead seat area. It spun more like an elliptical trainer than a wheel. The center and outer seat areas spun true though. Once again, I was on the phone to Morris. A replacement wheel was sent out the next day, direct from their supplier. (This isn't a review of the wheel, or its manufacturing company, so I'll end the wheel issue here.)

Received my replacement rack support, have some wheels on the trailer and it's time to head out. WOOHOO!

Approximately 300 miles into my trip my bladder told me I had had too much coffee and it was time to make a stop. When I returned to my vehicle I gave the top of one of the trailer tires a slight push with my foot. What was that noise? In my panic over the wheel issue, and trip departure time frame, I forgot to check the wheel bearings. Sure enough, both sides were loose. Those rear stabilizer legs came in really handy there in the Rest Area parking lot. Bearing adjustments done, phone call to Morris to advise of possible issues with other stocked axle assemblies, and back on the road.
As my trailer was unassembled upon receipt there was no way for Morris to know the bearings weren't adjusted properly from the factory. It's one of those things that was on my list to check, but was missed.

The next 2000, or so, miles of pavement, washboard, rocks, and other assorted "roads" was uneventful, until.......... On the last day of the trip, sitting with friends at the end of Cottonwood Canyon, having a cool refreshing beverage, I noticed one end of my spare tire carrier mounting flange was broken and that the carrier & spare were now being held on by only one U-bolt. (No cell service here, a call to Morris will have to wait a couple of days.)(Since I had turned if off a week prior, I wasn't even sure where my phone was.) Time to rearrange. I moved my #2 station wagon spare forward on the high rack and strapped the trailer spare, carrier and all, to the rack behind it. The 900+ mile return trip was uneventful.

Morris wanted to send out a new spare carrier right then but I told them I could wait until such time as they had a break in their production and that I wanted the replacement to fit a 31x10.5 anyway. In the meantime, I could always just strap the spare to the rack. I installed a rooftop tent this last week and now don't have the rack space I once did. I called up Morris, and my new spare carrier will be "in the mail" beginning of next week.

EZE

Observer
Curious if anyone in/near Seattle has one of these? They look like they fit what my wife and I are looking for better than anything else on the market that we can find and would love to take a loot at one in person before buying. If you have one, or know someone who does, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity!

jungblud

Observer
Sorry so little time for electrons lately in prep for B1k.

The CVT it turns out is much lighter than the Baroud. But the Baroud (Grand Raid XXL) is so much nicer in almost every aspect except for weighing a bit more than the CVT Mt. Rainier. I have zero regrets. In the 8000 miles I've pulled the trailer I've not any issues even on rough terrain. Common sense of course matters in these situations. With the amount of weight I had down low it was never a worry. If I had it completely empty, no fridge, empty water tank, no kitchen, tucker box, Thetford. Then I'd be more careful on off camber scenarios when there are bumps.

But "worry about it, I do not..." - Yoda Jedi Master

Interesting. I hadn't even thought about the rods being an issue with an awning. Currently I have my awning on my sw. That way, if I leave the trailer at a base camp, I've always got shade with me. (Rather important in Death Valley.) However, yesterday I was looking at ways to mount it, or another one, on my trailer. I installed my CVT on the trailer, just last week.

Your CVT was a lot bigger than my Mt Bailey, did you notice any top heavy feel when you had it on there?

Last edited:

LostBurro

Observer
Curious if anyone in/near Seattle has one of these? They look like they fit what my wife and I are looking for better than anything else on the market that we can find and would love to take a loot at one in person before buying. If you have one, or know someone who does, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity!
I don't know of any north of myself (extreme southern Oregon, just north of the border). In this part of the state there are two that I know of. Mine and one over in New Pine Creek (south of Lakeview).
If you ever get down this way I'd be more than happy to show you mine.

Fsidari

Just picked up my Mule yestarday and pulled it 720 miles home. Before I left I got a tour of the shop and saw some quality work that goes into these trailers, always nice to see what is under the paint and hidden out of sight. I was very pleased with how well the trailer tracked and behaved behind my JK at highway speeds and with some strong winds blowing. Morris was great to work with and I was able to work a couple of custom items into the build including matching my tire/wheel combo so I only need 1 spare and adding a MaxCoupler. Some have commented on the split lid design, but after a couple hours of driving rain on the highway and a quick pressure wash this morning, I found no water inside the bed. I will take the advantages of the split lid over any potential for a little water getting in. Can't wait to get this out on the trail for a clean up day and loaded up for some camping.

Attachments

• jk mule-1024x576.jpg
    jk mule-1024x576.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 77

M4RONIN

Just checked these out yesterday here in Colorado. After much research I think the Morris mule will fit my needs perfectly. They seem to be a well thought out design and they look extremely solid.

georgiadrifter

Observer
Just finished a cross-country jog with my Mule. No issues whatsoever. I love mine.

164189277.jpg

164210854.jpg

Abe Froman

Adventurer
Owner advice and reviews.

Looking at a brand new Morris mule trail assembled and taxed and tagged OTD for $4,300 vs something used in the same range.
Used trailers in the 4K range are either home builds, m416 styles with no lids or possibly a used outlander Sherpa or Manley, etc. I don't have time or space to rebuild or extensively modify a trailer.
I want to toss a RTT on there and begin using it.
I do have time to add systems like water and electrical as my owner ship progresses.

A couple questions for mule owners:
Does the lid leak?
Is the fold down lid actually functional as a table?
Stability off road and on road with a RRT mounted high?
Any jeep owners report if the jeep tailgate will open with the mule in stock configuration.

Overall quality perceptions?
I appreciate the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior