Montero Alarm system removal, Gen 2.5

nwoods

Expedition Leader
No worries, all sorted. Ty did it in about 5 minutes. I spent 2.5 hours trying first though :)

dorifto-san

Creeper
Great write up, I had issues with one of the screws for the fuel door release as well, but I just loosened everything else up and was able to access everything I needed. Yanked out the box and sensor, cut and soldered 2 wires, and I was back in business! Took me about 20 minutes including the frustration with the screw and soldering the connection. Not too shabby!
Thanks!

Mudrunner

Adventurer
With this problem were there any dash lights on? Did this allow the starter to crank over but not let the engine run? Or does it shut of the entire system?

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I can add that I had my alarm deleted 10yrs ago and this is basically the same thing the dealer did to mine.

KyleT

Explorer
So is there a factory or better alternative to keyless entry? Mine doesn't have the alarm anymore and the paj forums mention a simple lock unlock module that plugs in the rear cargo area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snare

Adventurer
Demon possessed alarm removed !

Thanks for this thread. My system was slightly different though. I connected the starter by pass wires and unplugged the control box.

Everything works and it starts again.

(Had a sudden no start condition, first thought it was the starter since i could hear clicking. Pulled starter, had it tested and it was fine. At least now i know i can get the starter out with the tools I carry...wasnt sure i had the right combination of extensions for the top starter bolt. Had it out in 20 minutes.)

alarmremoval2.jpg

Last edited:

PacS14

Adventurer
Thanks Jlocster! This will be my next project, but I'm also looking into maybe installing my own alarm with remote starter, I will try and get the wiring sorted out first, seems like the plug for the factory alarm has the necessary connections for the new/better alarm I want to install, but I saw on a 280zx one dude put a magnetic starter disconnect and he hid the sensor somewhere where he could just swing a magnet attached to his keys that did not look suspicious. Man all these projects piling up and no time to do them...

Myron B

Thanks for the info and the work you put into this. It has helped me greatly. I have had the alarm go off while driving down the expressway and I have found that anyone with Chrysler/Dodge remove activated the panic on my Montero's alarm. I was at wits end with that alarm and about to sell my Montero until I came across this information. Oh, and the 2 wires that need to be connected, I wired in a momentary switch for a kill switch. Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Sdw2248

Does this apply to 97s? I cant seem to trace the starter wires back to the main plug. So far i havent done anything permanent as its not matching up. However im about 97% sure the alarn is causing the issue and 100% sure its going out due to door lock shenanigans

Tero97acb

For future readers of this post, on the off-chance you make it all the way to this comment, please note that there is another guide in the Mitsubishi Monteros USA / SoCal group that is a great cross reference for this guide. On US trucks, the original factory wiring harnesses should still be there and you shouldn't have to cut and reconnect any wires. Some cutting, but you can just reconnect the factory harnesses to each other after taking out the alarm bypass. I am also adding in that on my 97 Montero LS, I had an extra set of two wires running into the side covers near the wiring harnesses. On the legend which was printed on the alarm module box it said these were "courtesy light" & ground which the very good fellows at Ozzy's determined to most likely be the trigger for the alarm when the door was opened without disarming it. They were cut and everything worked fine afterwards. The keyless entry function no longer works on mine, however some other trucks may have a separate keyless entry module. Alternate aftermarket keyless entry systems are available. I also am having great results so far from removing the system, my starting issues went away and the locks no longer jump.

Attachments

• IMG_4785.jpg
    IMG_4785.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier