Modifying an OM364/366LA Engine

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
ANY modification to the engine to increase power should be followed up with the installation of en EGT Gauge. I prefer Digital such as Auber or Madman.

Hi @Rally Truck, bit of a noob regarding truck engines, I am having my OM 366 LA's fuel pump rebuilt and injectors tuned on a bosch bench over the summer, the shop says im looking at 250-280HP from 204., I was also wondering what EGTs is referring to?

Agree with above but much better to install the EGT before you do any modifications. That way you know what’s for sure safe as a baseline.

The 924LA option doesn’t require DEF if Euro 3. If it happens to have EGR it’s easy to get rid of. But the big difficulty is making the ECU happy enough to run in an analog environment. Starting with really simple stuff like needing an electronic gas pedal, and getting worse from there.
If you do safely soup up the 364LA and need/want faster gearing, finding 20x9” Unimog type wheels with the 205mm x 6 bolt pattern, and running 275/80R20 singles will solve that problem.

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
I'm already running 275/80/R20 MPT-81s.

Good points about the 924. I'm almost certain I want to rebuild and tune the 364 now instead of an engine swap.

Thanks!

Agree with above but much better to install the EGT before you do any modifications. That way you know what’s for sure safe as a baseline.

The 924LA option doesn’t require DEF if Euro 3. If it happens to have EGR it’s easy to get rid of. But the big difficulty is making the ECU happy enough to run in an analog environment. Starting with really simple stuff like needing an electronic gas pedal, and getting worse from there.
If you do safely soup up the 364LA and need/want faster gearing, finding 20x9” Unimog type wheels with the 205mm x 6 bolt pattern, and running 275/80R20 singles will solve that problem.

D

Deleted member 9101

You can always spray meth to keep things cool.

Christian

Adventurer
I have modified two Unimog engines. The 352A with 10mm plungers put out 253 hp on a dyno. Cost about $8,000 to do this right.

My U1350L came with a 366LA Euro2 motor that originally put out 136hp. Using 100% factory parts I modified it to 240hp/850Nm. Standard Euro1 engines will put out 240 hp/760Nm. If you use all factory parts including the waste-gated turbo you will not need to worry about EGTs because MaBenz engineers tested the hell out of the engines in all kind of situations.
Modifications by increasing the fuel and not replacing the injectors, delivery valves, and turbos to factory specs will experience an increase of EGTs.

I spent several months researching the EPC to find out the differences of cams, exhaust manifolds, intercoolers, turbos etc. before I spent any money on parts. When you are all done it costs about $6,000 to do the 366 right.

By the way, Euro2 engines are the one to get, the torque curve has moved down a couple hundred RPMs and it makes a big difference driving experience, I love it!!

Sorry for the possible highjack, but the thread is dorment.

Hi Rally Truck, I have a LAF1113B with an OM352A, 169HP. My question is, in your opinion, would you soup up the OM352A, or go look for an OM366LA instead?
As far as I know, the block is almost the same, but the OM352 should rev higher?

Rally Truck

Sorry for the possible highjack, but the thread is dorment.

Hi Rally Truck, I have a LAF1113B with an OM352A, 169HP. My question is, in your opinion, would you soup up the OM352A, or go look for an OM366LA instead?
As far as I know, the block is almost the same, but the OM352 should rev higher?

I would go with a Euro2 Om366LA, much better stock than a Euro1 version. The Euro2 366LA can be set for 3,000 rpm, where as a 352A can be set for 3,200 rpm. The Euro2 will deliver better power at lower RPMs, giving at least 10% better fuel economy.
I used to have issues with the valve cover gasket on the boosted OM352A, the increased pressure would blow the cork gasket out of position, then all the power goes away.
I solved it with a custom molded silicone gasket that we tooled up in our shop, and NO I am not interested in selling any!

eurovintage

Hi All,
Bice to see that I am not completely alone.
Have MB 609 d, 1986 double cab, previusly gravel truck.
Conversion to Camper/Racecar transporter ongoing.
Motor is regular OM 364 non turbo, somewhat low on hp for long haul from
White Rock, B. C. to Monterey this summer.
Anybody knows of ways improving hp via turbo aftermarket. Limitation is the smaller G2/27 gearbox and HL O rear axle.
Tiktalik how did You make out ?
Any tips appreciated,
Thanks
Ivan
Picture before resto

Attachments

• DSC09665 - Copy.JPG
    DSC09665 - Copy.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 10

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Gearbox and axles strength is a consideration but you need to also make sure that the non-turbo OM364 is engineered to handle a turbo. On the OM617 this is not the case, for example. The OM617 engine was completely redesigned to withstand turbo pressure when they engineered the OM617A. Many have attempted to bolt a turbo on the OM617 which has resulted in engine failure.

I'm still in research mode for my engine overhaul. I won't get to it until Fall/Winter.

Hi All,
Bice to see that I am not completely alone.
Have MB 609 d, 1986 double cab, previusly gravel truck.
Conversion to Camper/Racecar transporter ongoing.
Motor is regular OM 364 non turbo, somewhat low on hp for long haul from
White Rock, B. C. to Monterey this summer.
Anybody knows of ways improving hp via turbo aftermarket. Limitation is the smaller G2/27 gearbox and HL O rear axle.
Tiktalik how did You make out ?
Any tips appreciated,
Thanks
Ivan
Picture before resto

eurovintage

Hi Tiktaalik,
Yes, some can be retrofitted (Jets for Pistonspraycooling). MB Trac forum has lots of examples of turbo retrofits.
Modest Boost is ok. It may reduce somewhat overall engine/gearbox life when looked at a commercial application,
but for us as hobbiests not so much an issue 9Low miles, no trailer towing).
There is also a good german forum about our types of trucks(www.busfreaks.de) if YOu do not speak german, let me know and
I can search for some topics on both forums for You).
Cheers,
Ivan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste