Modern Camper / Trailer Construction is Garbage

kraythe

I'm rebuilding my fiberglassed reinforced plywood box. I figure going to 3/8's from 5/8's will shed a few pounds. One question, what is everyones thoughts on mounting? I'm using a flatbed, and I'm on the fence about making a "soft" mounting system.

Thoughts about longterm durability of a camper that is hard mounted vs springmounted? I'm guessing that a soft mounted camper would last alot longer no matter how poor the construction.

My only concern would be about the durability of the springs. They will be under a lot of shear load. I might consider the same airbags used for truck suspension as they are designed to take that kind of load. You also have to allow room for full compressibility and make sure you don't have a problem with dynamic loads. As the camper bounces, it is introducing dynamic loads that are many times the static load and if it swings left and right it could roll the truck. Short of a lot of engineering work I dont know if it is that practical. You are probably better off doing work to the suspension of the truck.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
There is a good thread in the Mitsubishi section regarding multipoint mounting. The deck should be mounted that way, not just the camper unless it is sitting directly on the chassis.

NothingClever

Explorer
While not a hardside but a pop-up, I think you would be impressed with the quality of product that Hallmark RV manufactures. They were my first choice (up to a build deposit) until my wife decided she wanted an XP. Anyways, we've visited the Hallmark factory twice and I can confidently say they build, IMO, the best pop-up around. Lots of slick innovations and materials like their Coosa Bluewater 25 frame, Mylar-lined pop-up walls, solid roof and roof lifting mechanism. Matt Ward is all about great customer service, too. I'm a pretty particular person and Hallmark passes all the tests, IMO.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
i agree the build quality is subpar. i want a toy hauler that can handle off road travel have not found anything yet. i will build my own. it will cost more but it will be exactly what i want and 100 times better quality. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles