Moby1 owners?

Bombsight

Observer
I would stay well away from purchasing a Moby 1 if I could do it over. Nothing but delays and stress. Furthermore, the trailer leaks and their "customer service" is an attorney named Mr. E. Gregg Tobler. I'm about to file suit against them because of all the issues. In my opinion, if you haven't given them any money, don't. If you have, do a very serious inspection of the trailer before you accept it. That should include extensive leak testing. And don't take "we'll take of that later" as an answer.

Oh, and if 13 months is anything like like the 3-6 months I was told at the time I placed a deposit, forget that. In my case it was double the long end of that timeframe. And when you hear the same excuses more than once, it's likely because he forgot what he told you the last time. That's just my opinion, but the same person having the same issue twice in 6 months is unlikely (multiples times).

Earlier in this thread Mr. Grimes claimed he was adjusting customer warranties to address the leakage problems. Sorry, but no, he isn't, hence the pending lawsuit. Or at least he isn't with mine.

Ashley - Feel free to have Mr. Tobler send a threatening letter. I'd be happy to attach it as further evidence. Oh, and before you start deleting posts in this thread and others, I've already got screen captures, so don't bother or you'll be dealing with accusations of falsifying evidence as well.

My trailer was kept under cover for over a year because the doors leaked (plus I was dealing with cancer surgery and the aftermath of that). New doors were finally sent 8 months after the report, I had them professionally replaced, then found that when it was left out that the galley hinge leaks as well. No response from his "customer service" attorney.

I have copies of my email threads with Moby 1 and with Mr. Tobler if someone who is considering a purchase is interested.

Mr. Tobler - The truth is an affirmative defense against a defamation claim. I will file a counter claim against your client and specifically against you if you wish to file a frivolous claim against me for my expressing my opinions and describing issues that are well documented through email. I'm not someone who will be intimidated. Your threats will only result in greater resolve on my part. And I have the money to see it through, especially since I'm confident that in the end you and your client will be paying my attorney fees.

If you decide you would like to resolve this privately then let me know. You have my contact information. Or just respond to my last email. Otherwise in 2 weeks I will file suit in King County District Court as my last email stated.

Moderators, if you would like documentation of any of this, please let me know, I'd be happy to provide it.

:Wow1:

As Scooter

Observer
I see a couple of things here:
1. Every business is going to have problems. If you never have problems, then you are not doing enough business. There are always problems. The difference is, the really good businesses avoid repeating those problems, and handle the customers, and take care of it, sometimes to unreasonable extremes.
2. If you are consistently missing deadlines, you are poorly organized, and don't know what it takes to build your product, or perform your service. The bitterness of disappointment lasts a long time even if you are thrilled with the final product. Case in point, my wife and I bought a motor home. We have had title to it for a year. In that year, our motor home has been in the shop 11 months. It has all been minor stuff, but still the frustration means that we will be selling it as soon as we get it out of the shop.
3. If you have extremely long lead times, then hire people. There are things in any production facility that can be performed by unskilled, or lower skilled workers, and leave the specialty stuff to the more skilled workers.

That is just a long distance perspective, but I do have a little experience in running a business.

OCD Overland

Explorer
.... and to think some were banned on here for saying the same things being said now.
You can ask the mods, but I think the problem with the other guy was that he seemed to be using the forum as an extortion tool. Fix my trailer, or else I'll post bad things about you, sort of thing. It was all very childish and made the forum look like it was populated by 6 year olds.

I don't think there's any problem with posting about issues.

I will say that everyone who has posted about leaking, and there are 3 by my count, though I'm not suggesting that there aren't more, all received their trailers at about the same time period. I haven't heard any recent buyers complaining. I don't know anything about the extended warranty, but it seems like that's what the issue is here. Maybe part of the problem is that he had his trailer up for sale here a few months ago and never mentioned anything about these problems. I can't really fault him for not advertising it, but from a practical standpoint in terms of warranty work or even from a legal standpoint (if it comes to that), I doubt that works in his favor. I mean, Moby can just look at his ad and say, 'well obviously the problem didn't exist a few months ago, and it's not like it never rained before last week.'

Having said that, if Moby knows that his trailer has the old design hinge, then they should fix it regardless. I see it as more of a recall than a warranty. But maybe there are issues that go beyond what's been mentioned.

Last edited:

ksj

Observer
Maybe part of the problem is that he had his trailer up for sale here a few months ago and never mentioned anything about these problems. I can't really fault him for not advertising it, but from a practical standpoint in terms of warranty work or even from a legal standpoint (if it comes to that), I doubt that works in his favor. I mean, Moby can just look at his ad and say, 'well obviously the problem didn't exist a few months ago, and it's not like it never rained before last week.'

Having said that, if Moby knows that his trailer has the old design hinge, then they should fix it regardless. I see it as more of a recall than a warranty. But maybe there are issues that go beyond what's been mentioned.

I had it up for sale after getting door straighteners that were supposed to resolve the issue, then took it off of sale when I found that the problem wasn't actually resolved. They then sent new doors since the weatherstripping wasn't installed properly on the original doors and the passenger side door was installed improperly. During all of this time I kept it in a carport since I knew it was leaking through the doors. I had the new doors installed professionally and thought the problem was resolved, so I put it up for sale again. I had pulled it out for someone to look at when we had a heavy rainstorm. That's when I found out the galley door leaked as well. It obviously cannot be sold if it's leaking and I wouldn't have put it back up for sale if I thought it was leaking.

Moby 1 was made aware of the leaking issues 8 months into the warranty term (in November 2014) and did nothing to resolve the issue (first the door straighteners) until July 2015. Then it took another 3 months for them to get me replacement doors after I found the doors straighteners didn't resolve the leaking. The first set of doors they sent were packaged in a plain flimsy cardboard box with a couple layers of 1/8" foam and arrived essentially destroyed. I refused that shipment. I then received promises that new doors would be shipped right away. It was another month before I received the next set of replacement doors, which were packaged in a box that was screwed, stapled and glued shut to make it as difficult as possible to open.

Note that during the build process I received excuse after excuse from Moby 1 about the delays. Not once did they call me to tell me about the delay. I only found out when I emailed them to get a status. Furthermore, I was on my way to pick up the trailer, driving from Washington to Utah when I got a call telling me that the Engle refrigerator, Hannibal awning, and solar panel were not there and would be delayed. This was in March of 2014. The fridge showed up when I was there to pick up the trailer. The awning didn't show up until November 2014 and the solar panel December 2014. The sides to the awning didn't show up until weeks after the awning.

Now they claim it's past the warranty period, even though it was documented that there were issues with leaking doors during the warranty period. They caused the delays, not me, and now they refuse to deal with it. Note that I have not cursed at them, I've only explained what I will do if this isn't resolved. And the only thing you could say is that I was obviously angry at the constant delays and lack of communication from Moby 1 from the time they received my deposit. Once they had the money they made no effort to keep in communication. None.

Also, before anyone claims I've been unreasonable, when I was picking up the trailer I had a long discussion with Ashley about communication. I also went as far as to send him a free, licensed copy of Microsoft Project so he could begin to track build activities in the future.

As I stated, I have all of this documented in email if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Vegas_Nick

Adventurer
So spend your money with Todd at TC TEardrops or Randy at Dog House Campers. Both are fine outstanding folks that make quality rigs.

dozer2

OCD Overland Nailed it! For some reason people think that forums make a good extortion and terrorism tool. There are exactly 3 trailers that have had these issues, they just happen to be outspoken here on this forum. A first generation product is bound to have problems whether it is Apple, Samsung, Toyota, Jeep, Dodge etc. We have worked through the issues and redesigned problem areas, even stopped distributing certain brand products because of shipment difficulties and delays.

When a person turns belligerent and difficult to deal with sending repeated legal threats, it is best to leave it to an attorney to deal with. This is a small percentage of our business and unfortunate that people have to get ugly and turn to public opinion to sway they're agenda. Some as far as to conspire to try to take us down. We have many happy customers who are thrilled with their trailers, many who we consider family. We would be happy to provide referrals.

One should also notice how many features that first appeared on our products are showing up on competitors offerings, some as far as to impinge on trademarks and copyrights. Flattering or offending?

You can ask the mods, but I think the problem with the other guy was that he seemed to be using the forum as an extortion tool. Fix my trailer, or else I'll post bad things about you, sort of thing. It was all very childish and made the forum look like it was populated by 6 year olds.

I don't think there's any problem with posting about issues.

I will say that everyone who has posted about leaking, and there are 3 by my count, though I'm not suggesting that there aren't more, all received their trailers at about the same time period. I haven't heard any recent buyers complaining. I don't know anything about the extended warranty, but it seems like that's what the issue is here. Maybe part of the problem is that he had his trailer up for sale here a few months ago and never mentioned anything about these problems. I can't really fault him for not advertising it, but from a practical standpoint in terms of warranty work or even from a legal standpoint (if it comes to that), I doubt that works in his favor. I mean, Moby can just look at his ad and say, 'well obviously the problem didn't exist a few months ago, and it's not like it never rained before last week.'

ksj

Observer
OCD Overland Nailed it! For some reason people think that forums make a good extortion and terrorism tool. There are exactly 3 trailers that have had these issues, they just happen to be outspoken here on this forum. A first generation product is bound to have problems whether it is Apple, Samsung, Toyota, Jeep, Dodge etc. We have worked through the issues and redesigned problem areas, even stopped distributing certain brand products because of shipment difficulties and delays.

When a person turns belligerent and difficult to deal with sending repeated legal threats, it is best to leave it to an attorney to deal with. This is a small percentage of our business and unfortunate that people have to get ugly and turn to public opinion to sway they're agenda. Some as far as to conspire to try to take us down. We have many happy customers who are thrilled with their trailers, many who we consider family. We would be happy to provide referrals.

One should also notice how many features that first appeared on our products are showing up on competitors offerings, some as far as to impinge on trademarks and copyrights. Flattering or offending?

Really Ashley? Extortion and terrorism? Seriously? I'm not trying to sway any agenda. I'm trying to get the faulty trailer you sold me repaired. You know, the one I paid you almost $40,000 for? The one you've known was leaking since November of 2014? You probably want to talk to Mr. Tobler about that kind of claim Ashley, cause that is clear defamation. Something I have studiously avoided in dealing with you.

And you didn't get any legal threats until you had ignored me for many months. That was your choice. What do you think happens when, based on your actions, you have appeared to rip someone off?

Let's go over the timeline, shall we (this doesn't even cover the litany of excuses for the trailer being delayed in the first place)?

1) Trailer delivered 5 months late in March 2014. Awning and solar panel that should have been delivered with the trailer were not. Got excuse after excuse after excuse for 5 months until I finally threatened to take you to court if you didn't deliver the remaining product or refund my money for it.

2) Another 2 months goes by before you finally deliver the awning, without sides, and no solar panel. At that time you personally looked at the trailer and told me you had a solution. Door straighteners. I had to ping you in mid-November about those and was told you would ship them out the following week with the other items remaining from my build.

3) Late November/early December 2014 I finally get the awning sides and the solar panel. No door straighteners. Had 3 surgeries in early 2015 and didn't follow up until May.

4) I emailed you on May, 9 2015 to find out where they were. My email was quite polite. Simply asked if I needed to find an alternative method to getting the doors fixed.

5) You ignored my email of May 9th.. On May 25, 2015 I threatened to join this very thread and you responded the same day, blaming me for the delay. You claimed you didn't have my address or phone number, both of which were on the contract and the warranty registration. This was especially annoying since you had called me several times in October and had even come to my house. And shipped product to my house. You had both and you know it.

6) June 18, asked again about the door straighteners. No threats, just where are the door straighteners? Email ignored.

7) July 15, 2015, stated again that since you were ignoring me I would take it up on this forum. Note that I am generally giving you weeks or months to respond and deliver on your promises. Once again you respond the same day. Pretty amazing how you only respond when a threat is delivered. You otherwise ignore me.

8) Finally got door straighteners in late July. Attempted installation in August, found the installation template wasn't usable. Would have had me drilling through the door handles.

9) Finally had had enough and asked for your attorney's contact information.

Yup, really unreasonable of me.

10) Sept 3, 2015, your attorney contacts me to fill out a warranty claim form.

11) Sept 9, 2015, your attorney tells me the warranty claim is denied but you are shipping new doors anyway.

12) Sept 17, 2015 I refused a shipment for the new doors. They were inadequately packaged and were pretty much destroyed.

13) Sept 30, 2015 your attorney tells me the replacement doors will ship "next week".

14) Oct 15, 2015, replacement doors finally ship.

Summer is over and haven't used the trailer at all, just like last summer.

15) Paid an RV repair place to professionally install the new doors in late October.

16) Had put trailer up for sale again at this point.

17) Week before Christmas 2015 I pulled the trailer out from the carport to let a potential buyer look at it. For a few nights that week, while it was out, there were rainstorms.

18) Christmas eve 2015 I discovered that the trailer was leaking throught the galley door as well. Sent mail to your attorney threatening legal action, which was ignored.

19) January 25, 2016 Posted on Expedition Forum that I was filing suit against Moby 1.

I would also note that I have not been going about on social media bashing you or your product, so if you're claiming that I'm being outspoken then prove it. I threatened to, but I didn't post the above until you decided you were going to ignore me. If you want to point out some other posts I've made then please do.

As I have stated, this is all very well documented in email, so anyone who is interested is welcome to take a look and decide if I'm the one being unreasonable.

And it shouldn't matter if there is one trailer or 50 that leak. You have or had a defect and are refusing to resolve it for someone that spent close to $40,000 on your product.

Last edited:

stunt man hans

i have seen some of this drama first hand and imo ashley handled the issue as good as could have been expected given the issue that arose. i don't know about the rest of y'all and i'm not trying to minimize anyone else's issues by saying this but i spot to the man and he seems legit and the trailers are freaking sweet imo. the only thing keeping us from ordering one is the lack of financing options, mobi doesn't report to the NADA so that means that no traditional recreational loans are available that shoots the idea of having a mobi built to my specifications in the foot.

i'd take what you hear in this thread with a grain of salt and form your own opinions on the matter by meeting or talking to mobi directly just my .02 :)

Bombsight

Observer
i have seen some of this drama first hand and imo ashley handled the issue as good as could have been expected given the issue that arose. i don't know about the rest of y'all and i'm not trying to minimize anyone else's issues by saying this but i spot to the man and he seems legit and the trailers are freaking sweet imo. the only thing keeping us from ordering one is the lack of financing options, mobi doesn't report to the NADA so that means that no traditional recreational loans are available that shoots the idea of having a mobi built to my specifications in the foot.

i'd take what you hear in this thread with a grain of salt and form your own opinions on the matter by meeting or talking to mobi directly just my .02 :)

They're "Moby's" .... not "Mobi".

Last edited:

Jackpot

If that's truly the case, is there any particular reason why attorneys are involved in the warranty claim process?

Last edited:

Jackpot

offgrid.jpg12768126_802016203236121_3128814308744397981_o.jpg

Has anyone seen one of these new Off-Grid Trailers in person yet? I heard they're built in Canada, but are coming to dealers in the U.S. this spring. They look pretty sweet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior