MIssion Overland Trailer Owners page

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Mike, I tend to agree with RockyMountainOverlander. You aren't exactly an asphalt warrior. :) In fact your approach to overlanding is making you the perfect test bed for Mark's trailer. If I were him I'd be taking notes on everything you do and how you do it. It will only make for a better trailer in the long run. "The road less traveled" should be your motto. And you are really getting out there while the rest of us sit at home and stew.

BTW, how much weight have you added to the base unit? I believe the Timbrens are the 3,500 lb HD model. What does your trailer weigh loaded and ready to go? The reason I ask is that I think with all the water and two jerry cans of fuel on board Beastie, I'm getting close to 3,200 lb with the basic supplies for a 1-2 week trip. You may be right at the suspension's limit. I may be wrong about this though. I'm bringing my setup to the local recycle station prior to leaving town in Sept. Will be getting a weight with Nanc and me and the trailer fully loaded. Then will detach the trailer and toss Nanc out for a second weight with just me and the rescue and first aid gear in the 4Runner. That will give me the loaded weight of the trailer and the car separately. Weight is always our worst enemy for overlanding.

Did you find a gasket the proper size to seal the water intake cap? Mine popped off once so I have the same issue.

Oh, requisite camping pic. Already had it up once before. This was the first of only two times we've been out this year. Bummer..... :cry: That is my old camper in the foreground, now my son and his wonderful wife are using it. With only 15" wheels under it I was surprised at all the places I was able to drag it over the years. My son tows it with A toyota Sienna. Amazing where he takes it! The tent size is gynormous! And the bed, with a 1" memory foam on top, is extremely comfortable. After over 15 years of sleeping in a hardside RTT, this little bugger was the cat's meow. I don't think Freespirit Recreation is selling this tent/trailer combination anymore because, guess what, everyone is going to RTT's. I have to say though that Beastie blows this little beauty away in just about every category. Heater, sink, stove, frig/freezer, radio all built in. Also tons of storage. It even is easier to back in and out of spaces because of the longer wheelbase and larger tires. But that little bugger sure was a great way to transition into trailers!

Two Trailer Camp.jpg

Last edited:

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
this is something I mentioned much earlier, but is worth restating. Looking at the picture above reminds me of another thing I like about this setup. The distance between the center of the front and rear axles on the 4Runner is just about the same as the distance from the center of the rear axle to the center of the trailer axle. This means the trailer will pretty much follow in the tracks of the 4Runner when traversing around obstacles like rocks and that Ponderosa Pine in the pic. One always has to keep a sharp lookout via the rearview mirrors when cranking the wheel over to get around obstacles, but this setup really makes it look and feel easy.

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I am assuming your Timbren needs an alignment. Not really a defect, just something that needs to be done every once in a while, especially if used hard. Does it look like the top of the wheel is leaning inside or outside?

This is a brand new trailer. Looks like the wheels are leaning inside hence the worn out inside tread. Looking at other pictures the wheel were always like that so it came misaligned from the shop.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The trailer tracks perfectly behind the Land Cruiser. I have not added weight beyond the water more than 250lbs. Sounds like the axles are too light for the trailer.

I'll have to have the trailer weighed at some point .

I sure hope the quality control on newer trailers is better. First it is the door that lets in copious amounts of dust, the water cap that lets in dust, now its the axles that are not properly aligned so I worn out a set of tires in less than 10K miles and an axle possibly too light for the trailer.

I was assured this was built as an off road trailer.

Wendell-R

I thought that the HD versions of the 3500 lb Timbrens were the same structurally as the 5200 lb models and that the only difference was the dampeners being tuned for different weights?

I have the 5200 lb version on my TetonX because of the 40 gallon water tank. I know they didn't have to modify the frame mounting to use the 5200 lb axles, but the non-HD 3500 versions look to have the same mounting holes.

I also have the rectangular tube connecting the independent axles across the trailer (which are optional, I believe) independent of the trailer frame itself which might make the alignment more certain? You do lose a few inches of center ground clearance though.
F198642991.jpg

Roger M.

Adventurer
Not to put too fine a point on it, but there seems to be a large number of quality control and manufacturing or design defects on this trailer.
Or am I reading too much into these posts describing a trailer that leaks dust and water, and has a myriad of broken or worn parts after only a few thousand miles?

Only reason I ask is because I live in B.C. and am interested in a Mission Overland trailer!

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Um, I can only answer for myself and Beastie. We have well over 10 K miles on Beastie. The only issue we have had so far is a slider for the sink/stove pull out. Mark replaced it with a newer better design. Other than that we have really enjoyed it to the fullest. I would love to take it up to Alaska or down to Baja. I know it could handle any road I would take it on, but at this point in our life I don't think Wifey will be willing to go that far....yet. Have you checked one of these out in person? Take a look and make a decision then.

Dale

Nanc at Idaho Falls campground 2019.jpg

Roger M.

Adventurer
In the end, it's the dust and water on the inside of the entry door, and the worn tires and loose faucet do have me asking the question I asked.
I think there's a divide between a solidly built trailer, and a solidly engineered trailer.
You can have a trailer built like a tank, but if it leaks water and dust, and has improperly installed (or spec'd) axles ... being built like a tank doesn't really help.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Mission Overland is well aware of my issues and are not happy that my trailer somehow escaped the quality control process.

I fixed the loose faucet with locktite and the door has to be replaced. Had the border not been closed that would have already happened on our way to Alaska.

Mark and John are figuring out how to make the door replacement happen. The suspension is not aligned and I'm looking for a place that is familiar with the Timbren to align the suspension.

Both Mark and John have been very responsive to all my texts and e-mails.

carbon60

Explorer
Anyone else notice their tires prematurely wearing?

I have less than 10, 000 miles on these tires and the insides are already worn down past the wear bars.

Looks like a camber or frame flex issue to me. Do you have the reinforcing crossbar between the suspension on your model?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
You might want to check this bolt.
This is for the crossmember between the two axles. I'm surprised it's only held on with one bolt and not two since the Timbren is drilled for two bolts.
Mine was very very loose.
The drivers side was tight but both were installed without a lock washer.

Attachments

• IMG_20200901_112043542.jpg
    IMG_20200901_112043542.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20200901_110947738_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200901_110947738_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20200901_174459972.jpg
    IMG_20200901_174459972.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 65

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The trailer weighs 3300lbs. Looks like the trailer needs a heavier axle system

This is loaded for camping. Add another 50lbs for food and misc.

The trailer is too heavy for the suspension.

The dry weight of the trailer is 2,250lbs add
water weight 370lbs
fridge 50lbs
spare tire 100lbs
propane 74lbs
battery 100lbs
awnings 75lbs

769lbs the payload is only 481lbs

I am not sure the sink and stove , heater weighs but that could bring the payload down a bit more

Last edited:

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Back in the late 1990's I was driving about in a 1990 short wheel base Range Rover. I had a real love/hate relationship with that vehicle. At any rate, Land Rover North America was trying to promote their version of the adventure lifestyle at the time. They were about a decade too soon in the attempt it seems. Part of the process was holding off-roading classes around the country. I participated in one here in Spokane. They had some of the best instructors in attendance and I really learned a lot from the experience. One of the memes they pushed throughout the day was:

"Always drive as slowly as possible, and as fast as necessary."

The idea was that if you took good care of your rig, and didn't beat it to death, it would take good care of you. I have been attempting to follow that advice ever since, with excellent results.

14ADDC8F-9D84-46BD-86D6-AF2C44751E63_1_105_c.jpegDB926204-5F68-45F3-A8E9-C613A505989A_1_105_c.jpeg7752B2E1-D174-4449-B48D-2CC0E6CF84BE_1_105_c.jpegC844A891-C8AE-4148-922D-91C03A2650CD_1_105_c.jpeg91D8FBE0-0730-4571-8586-BE84715C6E59_1_105_c.jpeg56004D5C-0F52-481E-8845-8FB6B886403F_1_105_c.jpeg3B26ADC8-56D6-49C5-8796-934C66C98E8B_1_105_c.jpeg12631B4C-7477-4562-86D7-C216E38AE3F5_1_105_c.jpegD18EE222-9C91-4783-B0BC-302DA3D59333_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I thought that the HD versions of the 3500 lb Timbrens were the same structurally as the 5200 lb models and that the only difference was the dampeners being tuned for different weights?

I have the 5200 lb version on my TetonX because of the 40 gallon water tank. I know they didn't have to modify the frame mounting to use the 5200 lb axles, but the non-HD 3500 versions look to have the same mounting holes.

I also have the rectangular tube connecting the independent axles across the trailer (which are optional, I believe) independent of the trailer frame itself which might make the alignment more certain? You do lose a few inches of center ground clearance though.
View attachment 608674

The difference between the 3500lb and the 5200lb axle is the damper. .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles