Minivan Conversions for Camping, Travel on Road Dodge Grand Caravan

jaybgood

Hey Fellow Van Owners!

I have purchased a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan SE , from what I have read seems to have been unchanged from 2008-2020 using the same repair manual, parts etc.

I have found many youtube videos of conversions and come out with some inspiration but I suffer from ocd and like to overprepare was hoping to put together a complete design on paper of the build decide on as much as possible beforehand. That said I was hoping I can reach out to the community for anyone who has already done this work save me some time I can work work off of as a base. Any materials that may help with the build including right down to electrical, recommendations I would greatly appreciate. Thanks & happy travels!

shoein

Can not Help you with a conversion but will say the grand caravan is one tough vehicle. Have a 2014 that carries a bit over a thousand pounds of tools since day one. Lifetime average of 24mpg. Extremely reliable and comfortable to drive. Good luck.

Left Coast Dale

I am beginning to document my 2006 caravan conversion a couple of threads down from this. Have build removeable bed platforms with storage underneath for single and twin beds. Recently I am moving away from double duty (driving kids and camping) to single use (camping) and have removed the stowaway seats to open up more storage. The depression from them in the back allows for using a bucket toilet in van (late nite emergency use for the missus).

One thing I do a lot is make inexpensive proof of concept builds and try them out while camping. If they prove to be beneficial I then make a better model. One example is my 4" ABS roof top solar water heater/tank. I am on 2.0 and plan to make 3.0 as I discover little things I like/dislike such as capacity or footprint.

The van is pretty good for what it does but the suspension is still suited to 2wd. So far I have replaced the struts and am due to do the rear shocks. Check in on my thread as it progresses. I have no idea where it will end up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior