Military Spec Freezer/Fridges for $750 ea

93BLAZER

Explorer
What did the military use these for? Sounds like they may have been designed/ used for the storage of blood products.

Are these new or used?

I'm assuming that this group buy was at some government surplus auction? I would also assume that the group paid a helluva lot less than $750 for each of the refrigerators?

So one of the group decides to share his good fortune with the Expo group and sell his share for a modest profit, this opens to the door for the rest of the original group to start posting here with their own sales, at an increased price of course. So much for being a part of a community before you start to advertise.

Guess if you feel ok doing so it's ok to do it but it sure doesn't pass the smell test. Frankly, and I realise that I'm going out on a limb here but given that taxpayer dollars were used to buy these things in the first place, I find the whole deal more than just a bit offensive. If and when I'm ever in the market for a 12v refrigerator, I'll be getting it from one of the vendors who support this website and forum or I'll buy a used one from a member of the forums who aren't posting here simply to make a quick buck.

I was part of the original group that bought these, and while I will not share what we paid for them, it was not as cheap as you think. Most of our group that have decided to sell them quickly realized that they are way overkill for our intended use. These are better suited for expeditions and not for the casual camper like me.

Whether you are paying $750 or $900, it's a steal for an $8000 freezer/fridge that is brand new, that runs on any power source, has a 48 hour battery back up, and is built to military specs.

They were designed to store blood by the way.

Last edited:

emmodg

Adventurer
I agree John E!

It's funny/disturbing/unfortunate that those who are trying to make a quick buck off their fellow board member use the "Well it's worth more than I paid for it so..." or "You're still getting a bargain...".

So the president has been set: You can buy something from someone on this board, keep it a couple of days and then turn right around and sell it for more and everyone thinks its cool and above board! THAT'S unfortunate!

rugbier

Adventurer
It is ridiculous that YOU people think these Guys are out to rip someone off.

I was part of that Group Buy that DID NOT GET A SINGLE ONE due to my CHEAPNESS ( and while offered to take one of the extras I did not - read aforementioned reason ).

I am not justifying anyone or about to disclose final price, but for those who allegedly know everything about these transaction let me tell you , you are so wrong.

I wonder when you guys decide to make the accusation, took in consideration the cost of transport because no one leaves near where these things were located, taxes, and other misc.

I am certain that if you take in consideration all the variables any of the prices are reasonable and fair.

Dude, by your logic anyone or any company should sell their wares at cost. To make you happy, I'll start trolling the surplus websites, do all the bidding, pay the 10% buyers fee and taxes, then drive to the pick up point (this case was 200 miles away), THEN sell it to you at COST.

If you want a sweet fridge, please contact me! :) (obligitory smiley face)

Last edited:

rugbier

Adventurer
Are you actually reading your OWN statement?

They did take all that in consideration and that is the reason of their asking price, it is not exactly what they have paid at the auction, but all the variables are taken into account.

You are sooooo far in the outfield it is not even funny.

But then again, in our beautiful country the 2nd ammendment allows statements as such.

Enjoy whatever you do

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Huh?

Who cares how much these guys paid for things? If you feel like its a good deal, then buy it, if not.. walk away. I wouldn't expect to pay an exact cost from a private party in every single scenario, especially if these guys got a good deal and through their own diligence put their money out on the line to get them, likely site unseen. I'd expect these guys to make a bit of money for putting their cash on the line, negotiation the deal, arranging the original transport and transport to the new buyer, etc. Again if you don't like the deal, simple don't buy. We get club members, forum members, freinds, neighbors, etc all the time that buy x amount of something with the intent of selling all but a couple for themselves, making enough off the others to pay for their own. I'm 100% fine with that, they deserve it, they found the deal. If you want to pay what they paid, start searching the auction sites and you'll likely find you'll need to buy a pallets worth, arrange shipping, pay up front and wait weeks to find out if you have usable product. Guys on Mud do group buys from Pakistan, the running rule is they get their items for discounted if not free and don't pay any shipping for being the fence man. A local club member did a bulk buy on Hardig cases, I wouldn't in my right mind complain to him about marking them all up a bit to cover his expenses. At the end of the day his prices were completely fair, he was making on honest buck for his effort and work and we were all stoked to get some cases.

How about you guys buy the next auction lot of these and sell them to us "ExPo Spirit" guys for the absolute costs

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Christ. I am the original poster-the one trying to pass what I thought was an incredible deal on to board members. No two of these were bought for the same dollar amount. Mine ( I bought 3 by mistake) were well over $500 ea with fees taxes etc before I got in the car filled up with diesel and took a week day out of my life to drive across two states each way to retrieve them. There was no group buy but rather a group of us that tried not to bid against each other. We all bid on/bought individual units. The reason most of these guys are selling them is they are just a little to big for a Defender 90 and it takes two people to lift one into a truck. I spent all day in a car going to retreive them. I offered them for an extremely modest proffit to the community here rather than posting them on ebay etc, because I wanted people here to be able to take advantage of my find. Beat up versions of this unit are on ebay for $3500. I can't pay my modest electric bill (live alone)for what I ended up making over and above expenses.

John E your intial post where you "assumed" was wrong. You are killing the spirit of the thing for me- I understand your point (I think), but you took it way over the top. I haven't violated any of the tenents set for this board and don't appreciate the accusation. For what its worth, I work for a venture capital/banking firm during the day- I don't sell expedition equipment etc. The other two posters are both federal employee's, one @ the Pentagon the other @ the Holocaust museum- ie neither do they. Your accusations have a rabid tone to them and are unjust.

Last edited:

yubert

Explorer
Maryland 110, I appreciate you bringing this deal to the ExPo community. I'm buying one of the refrigerators from one of your friends. Thanks for doing this and please don't let the 'objections' kill your spirit from doing this again.

I also read the rules for this forum and don't see where any rules were violated.

John E your intial post where you "assumed" was wrong. You are killing the spirit of the thing for me- I understand your point (I think), but you took it way over the top. I haven't violated any of the tenents set for this board and don't appreciate the accusation. For what its worth, I work for a venture capital/banking firm during the day- I don't sell expedition equipment etc. The other two posters are both federal employee's, one @ the Pentagon the other @ the Holocaust museum- ie neither do they. Your accusations have a rabid tone to them and are unjust.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...Ignoring posts that violate the spirit as well as the letter of the rules as suggested by others posting here is the best way I know of for an otherwise great resource to be ruined. Might I suggest that if you don't like what I wrote than follow your own advice and ignore it, or "walk away", to do otherwise is simply hypocritical.

In the meantime John you run the risk of pushing away potential members that debatedly have more to add then yourself. I'm not saying they do or don't but to call someone out on their contribution to the "ExPo Spirit" based off the fact they happen to have some very neat fridges for sale right of the bat is lame at best imo. Sure it would be ideal if they had been a member for a bit of time and sure they could have posted an intro. The fact is they have the fridges now and members of ExPo are benefiting from their willingness to share them at what I'd suspect most of us feel is a fair price. If there is a rule violation, report the post and let the moderators handle it. Beats making other potential members reluctant to post. I'd rather have them post a neat item for sale then add a "me too" to 50 threads.

zimm

Expedition Leader

dude, youre being nice, those posts were pure lunacy.

i'd love one these fridges, i just dont know what i'd do with it.

M

modelbuilder

I'm sorry...this is too good not to chime in. I love a good show =)

My friend just joined expo the other day and this thread was the topic of conversation at his house yesterday. We had a good laugh.

Arguing about fridges...awesome!

:lurk:

If I could afford one I would buy it and pack it full of goodies for the trail.
(Diet Coke, Ice Cream, Root Beer, Beer, Chilled Boxed Sangria...the list can go on.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior