Micro adventures of the NW rockies

MT6bt

Rock hound
Hey, did I see you cruising through Diamond Bar today around 5:30 or so? Watcha doing there?
I'm not sure! I was kind of all over the place today after work. Had some incredible Japanese/korean cuisine in irvine from a restaurant called BCD tofu house. Then it was off to a french bakery to try real French macaroons for the first time. I'm having a great time in this part of the country regarding the epicurean arts. My journey may be on hold for a short time but My palate's experiencing all kinds of new adventures!
3ab92e387443bfa70d8b9bf916ea0e26.jpg

Also, if you're down for a camping trip tomorrow, I'll be up at blue jay.
Hope to see you there!

Ah, crossovers: car like off-road capabilities, minivan looks, and truck fuel economy...

MT6bt

Rock hound
My apologies for not updating my thread recently to anyone following it...it's kind of a pain doing it from my smartphone, especially when tapatalk shuts down intermittently, deleting everything I've written (on second draft now)
Anyways....
After my only scheduled trip on my entire journey, I managed to get a hold of scott and melody aka calledtocreation who were kind enough to open their doors and allow me to hang out with them for the next 5 days...
First things first....shower! I tell ya, there are few things I appreciate more than a nice, long shower after several days on the road. It is truly one of those things you take for granted until you don't have one!
Afterwards, we started planning our adventures for the next several days together. Scott mentioned an invitation from a couple of his friends to head down to imperial sand dunes to ring in the new year. I've never had the opportunity to play in the sand, so of course I was all about that!
d1b4a528b72fba6e826977e227b9f448.jpg

Overall it was an incredible trip. I didn't take anymore pictures than the one above because I was far too busy soaking up all the fun
Scott was kind enough to let me drive the creationcrawler around some of the dunes and wow...that rig drives very nicely and floated on top of the dunes with ease.
Upon returning to camp, I was ecstatic to find out some of scott's colleagues were willing to let me drive their quads with them. the emoticons to the left express my only emotions for the next hour as I got to rally around the dunes. Now I get why everyone is here! Hahaha
I was also quite humbled to hear from the crew that I am a "natural" who looks like I've been riding for years after only an hour on those toys. I think I can attribute my young years playing in sandboxes for that one!
After

Ah, crossovers: car like off-road capabilities, minivan looks, and truck fuel economy...

Last edited:

MT6bt

Rock hound
The quick ride out on the dunes, we headed back to the camp, where we brought in the new year with some Christmas tree torchings, Chinese lanterns, and several adult beverages.
The next day came all too quickly and Scott, melody, and I had to depart early on new year's to meet up with several other expo members for our next leg of the journey, the historic mojave trail.
I brought up the Mojave trail to the crew days before we departed for the sand dunes after hearing it's a "must do" from Powerwagner, to which scott and melody would happily concur.
For those who aren't aware, the mojave trail was used for centuries by native Americans as a gateway for trading with each other. Later it became a passageway for pilgrims.

Last edited:

MT6bt

Rock hound
Due to our late start, we only made it to balancing rock before we set up camp. Good thing, too. It was a beautiful place to start out our trip, and with only about 1 hour before the sun set, the timing was perfect.
The evening proved to be pretty chilly, especially for southern California! Temps hovered around 20 degrees overnight with a bitter 5-10 mph wind leaving us all hovering closely around the fire.
e71adb9dea07397c688159076ccd62dd.jpg

9258b77e3a6136571d16c4823c96a216.jpg

9a1d537b9610bd3f95bb26ed48774482.jpg

The next morning was crisp indeed, but thanks to SoCaltom's camp chef oven procuring fresh, hot cinnamon rolls, everyone was on their feet in no time!
c91637b23aba8b4ff770fd1590f3e69a.jpg

f2cac07ec18222b0de6765c5471b9e37.jpg

The snow was a good indicator of chilly temps!

mapper

Explorer
Just got up to date. Great adventures. We're definitely here reading, especially like seeing adventures with the dogs as that requires a bit more thought when it comes to locations. Where are you these days? I'm about to head to southwest UT for a few days over the coming President's day weekend

MT6bt

Rock hound
Just got up to date. Great adventures. We're definitely here reading, especially like seeing adventures with the dogs as that requires a bit more thought when it comes to locations. Where are you these days? I'm about to head to southwest UT for a few days over the coming President's day weekend
Currently in coronado visiting a high school classmate. It's beautiful down here!

msoverland

Totally agree with Mapper on the dog front. As for planning, we just load up the pups and go! Cross border travels and international travel would be a little tricky I'm sure. Anyhow, keep getting it!

MT6bt

Rock hound
Well it's been an amazing trip. I stayed in the Costa Mesa area for about a month and a half, met some amazing people, trained with world class bjj artists, mountain bike amazing singletrack in Santiago Oaks park, and explored the local ethnic foods of the area. I will truly miss the Mexican food down here! What I found most interesting about Mexican cuisine is that the cheapest restaurants were often the best and most genuine tasting.

0b00c6d508018f3ff8ae19abd6ec722a.jpg

Before heading back north, I decided to take a quick trip to Coronado Island for a couple days and visit a fellow high school classmate.
It turns out San Diego is an amazing city, and experienced many firsts on the second night... We took a fairy across the bay to downtown San Diego and then rented an electric car with his phone and some sort of app that allows you to do so. Then drove to a bar that was 23 stories up. After that, we went back to ground floor and visited downtown's various establishments. My personal favorite was "The House of Blues." To travel back to the island, Logan hailed an "Uuber" cab, also a first for myself.
1bda07b3e74537ff0f3f150272fa7ade.jpg

It was amazing to me how efficient living in a situation such as his can be....that is a vehicle isn't necessary in an urban setting.
I had decided to save Arizona and New mexico for next winter's exploration. Instead, I would travel the entirety of California's coast via the Pacific Coast highway.
c9d1ad44ac96e2b58a8d073a7d12d2e1.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't take many pictures. I didn't have a lot of time left before work began, and had to rush much more than I desired. Turns out, even though the drive is only about 650-700 miles(to where I decided to end, just south of Eureka), it is very time consuming! It took me about 2 days to travel the coast. Big sur was by far the nicest area on the drive until the redwoods...
a4455e7e929535f21d391f0bb61277e9.jpg

10cae11ae86f90c8a23244c93c0fbf54.jpg

Last edited:

MT6bt

Rock hound
a0f2ae6a6821981f2bb936bee287e5a6.jpg

I have to admit, I was glad to see the end of Highway 1! A truck this size was more of a burden than an advantage on this incredibly curvy highway. I probably only averaged 35 mph on the whole road.
Shortly after Hwy 1 intersects with 101 northbound, there is the "Avenue of the Giants." I had travelled through here about 15 years ago with my family and have wanted to come back ever since.
89f54f68b25826a6dacf37c0d8f1a590.jpg

Managed to find a dirt road that eventually turned into private property...
The enormity of these living organisms is incredible.
970ff2f3109b5d40948b05e2dc0459da.jpg

65be4e63ec1138d393f3d7dc1b791424.jpg

After the avenue of the giants, I decided to head east on Hwy 36 to visit some friends residing in the Chico, CA area. This road has got to be one of the most amazing roads I've ever been on. You start out in the redwoods, then climb up a serious grade(10%) for several miles. Near the top, I witnessed a shoe tree...IN FULL BLOOM! Very rare, I hear...
6adc19f65a9f174a1676891bdd9b6e08.jpg

095a63e6fb443c346734d68c1e46a074.jpg

After reaching the precipice, an overwhelming aroma of what should in all fairness be Humbolt County's "state" flower envelops the atmosphere... :ylsmoke: Hahaha!
From there it's another 100 miles +/- through the dense evergreen Shasta/trinity forest. This road is incredibly curvy, and had me grinning ear to ear on some of the whoops it had to offer.
As I descended into the next valley, evergreen forests gave way to deciduous oak forests and vast grazing land for cattle. White, leafless oak trees dotted the landscape that appeared almost like skeletons contrasted the vibrantly green terra.
0838a68216325cbf1010c88cbee2123c.jpg

I was unaware until the following evening that one of my favorite beers and the first IPA I actually enjoyed was brewed right in Chico! So, off it was to the Sierra Nevada Brewery.
This brewery is bar none the most grandiose and beautiful I've ever been to. Copper is used extensively throughout the brewery both in accents and in utilities.
3395cc7c3c48d6dd80eca5c133c085a0.jpg

The air outside carries an aroma of fresh barely and hops...
ee058266e4d799ef963ef077ba377988.jpg

7f93570acd940876ca4564f8a964d6fe.jpg

Above, a glass of their barrel aged bigfoot barley wine being greatly appreciated by yours truly! This is a very robust and flavorful brew, executed beautifully by sierra Nevada. If you love the taste of a bourbon aged beer, try this one out!
119990b0a861e4ecba8598a7656e6461.jpg

c535b7bbfe1a8c53c086eac231bfb878.jpg

Last edited:

MT6bt

Rock hound
Back in Montana now! Decided to hit up one of my favorite hidden gems: a hot spring right off of a rural road. Ended up being very relaxing. It was snowing fairly heavy while I was there, adding a nice contrast to the HOT water.
5486c613fd8db229ca04c210f431e606.jpg

90aeb150d4d69baee6f268d7ec8f9e31.jpg

27d46d0a827de88c0a82f675a30a6cd1.jpg

After spending a chilly night in the river access/primitive camp spot, I headed back to gallatin canyon. Got to meet up with a friend and complete my first multiple pitched rock climb! Ended up being about 215' up. The view on top was incredible.
687d66d6d6cb7a1c9f894399c024f237.jpg

c692bb05ffd0783b567985a7846483ff.jpg

2c30275378ed93bc9e983011edb996b3.jpg

The view above is the third and final pitch. It was easy-only a 5.7-but the experience was awesome.
2533c4d8cd09ca8defbaad2fda3682e4.jpg

82a962fdffd309702de41d8202630004.jpg

It's a long ways down!
Repelling was probably the most exciting part-that first part where you step off the ledge In a seated position and nothing but a rope preventing you from a 100' fall. Exhilarating!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I camped the CA coast mainly north of Point Reyes my whole life every summer. Probably a big reason I like going as small as possible on the vehicle. I laughed at your comment about 35mph. Ha

My wife and I camped along that stretch for yrs and yrs our vehicle choice was a Legacy GT 5spd mt with roof rack. The drive was fun as was the camping. She kinda over the cold foggy coast so hitting the east side of the sierras for the first time this summer. Pretty sure were taking the Subaru but tempted to take the Sequoia instead.

4xchinook4

Observer
Way cool bro. Climbing had got to be the funnest slow paced sport out there. Glad you got to try a multi pitch. Good stuff. ;)

MT6bt

Rock hound
Way cool bro. Climbing had got to be the funnest slow paced sport out there. Glad you got to try a multi pitch. Good stuff. ;)
Yes indeed it is a great sport. I am looking forward to later this week as I am going on another climb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior