Micro adventures of the NW rockies

MT6bt

Rock hound
HILLBILLY HAZING:
Now, this is one of my favorite spots in montana: free, quiet camping and a primitive hot spring right on the river.
I've been coming to this area for 10 years now, and to my surprise, today was the first time I got a taste of hillbilly hatred.
The first thing I found off putting was when I came to this area via the south route, there were several cattle guards I had to pass over. Each of these guards had some very misleading "NO TRESPASSING" signs, and of course the omnipresent orange paint on everything. This initially confused me, since my montana Atlas said this specific road was not private. (I've experienced this misleading and presumably illegal display of selfish landowners' intentions to thwart off the general public.)
Not hindered by this obfuscated situation, I carried on and eventually found the spring.
I did find it quite unusual when an older man in an 80s Toyota pickup passed me, waving kindly, but then doubling back and driving very slow past my vehicle until presumably seeing my license plate. After realizing I had bozeman plates, I saw him shake his head and drive off...weird...
After sitting in the springs for a good hour, several others joined, all from different parts of the state. One couple mentioned how an individual in a dark colored dodge ram inquired where they were from and after replying "helena", he said "we don't like out of towners coming to our hot springs".
I passed it off as typical small town, small mind hillbillies are that way sometimes, but only after witnessing this same individual drive back and forth past the springs multiple times, did my senses start to question what this person's intentions were.
After the second or third time of this person doubling back on us, he finally got out of his truck. Standing before us was a slender man, presumably a rancher, no more than 35 years old. I immediately noticed the glock on his hip. He stared us down for a good 10 seconds before I broke the silence:
"How's it going?"
"Where Y'all from?" He exclaimed, with an undertone of bitterness and resentment. "You, where are you from?" He said to the first of seven people, pointing down to him.
"Wolf creek"
"You?"
"Same, wolf creek."
He did this until we all told him where we were from.
"Well, we don't like anyone from around here using OUR hot springs. I suggest you leave."
I found myself starting to see red a bit, angry that this hick thinking he can Bogart a public place. But still, I kept my composure and was the only one talking.
"Why do you not like others coming around here? What, do you think we're the type of people who leave a bunch of trash in the area and disrespect it?"
For the first time since meeting this lovely individual, it looked like logic slapped him in the face, and he was temporarily dumbfounded that someone dare talk back to him...
After a few seconds, he turned around and started to get into his truck. Midstep, he stopped, turned around, and looked down once again.
"Ya know, I like you (pointing towards one of three people, including yours truly). But I wouldn't stay here any longer if I were Yall. I mean, you can if you want, but if anything happens....well, don't say I didn't warn you."
I was getting more on edge with this passive threat, and proclaimed, "I've been coming to this hot spring for 10 years, I've never told anyone about it, and I'm always respectful of the area."
And with that passive threat, he left us dumbfounded, and slightly threatened.
I am not easily scared, but I kept asking myself just what it was he was planning on doing. I decided to err on the side of caution and head back to my truck and arm myself with my 10mm, hoping to god I wouldn't ever have to use it. But, I refuse to be scared off by some hillbilly with a bad attitude.
We ended up staying for several hours without any trouble, and he didn't come back during this time. Aside from that, it was a great time. Everyone was friendly, and we exchanged past experiences, jokes, etc.
I ended up being the only one who ended up staying overnight, and half jokingly said to a friend (there was a friend I just so happened to meet up with in the hot springs this night....After months of not seeing each other, he told me on his way out the thought crossed his mind "I wonder what Darrin is up to tonight, I should call him" weird, huh?) That if I disappeared, look for the hillbilly in the maroon colored cummins.
After setting up camp of this windy and chilly night, finding myself very glad to not be in a tent or my previous overlanding setup, I made some tacos and started reading my book.
About an hour later, guess who decided to come down for a visit? Yep, hillbilly and his accomplice, wearing an incredibly large brimmed cowboy hat.
I found myself peeking through the blinds, wondering if they were going to do something. In hindsight, I wish I would've just gone out there and see if I could talk some sense into these ******************, hell, even have a beer with them....As over the years I've found myself capable of befriending just about anyone, and the linguistic abilities to calm down such tense situations with my rhetoric. ....Perhaps I was a

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

MT6bt

Rock hound
Diplomat in a past life?
Well regardless, I found myself in awe of the belligerent persistence of this individual. Does he really not have anything better to do? Does he not realize that I have over 100 rounds from 4 different guns, excluding 10 from my lapua before I have to worry about reloading?
Bad thoughts, indeed.
After a couple minutes, they left and I was able to be in relative peace once again. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep that night, knowing full well that strategically, being stuck inside a very small area could be counterproductive to one's own ability to defend oneself.
My dreams were filled with wild scenarios, all usually accompanied by banjo music for some reason...
The next day couldn't have come any faster. Although my stubbornness prevailed, I was finally ready to get the hell outta this place; my food was depleted, it'd been days since a real shower, and I was ready to get back to work.
The Hillbilly did end up coming down the road and parked 30 yards outside of my camper once more, to "take a piss" it appeared, but I know what his intentions were.
The rest of the trip back was uneventful aside from finally finding some state land to shoot long distance. I managed to shoot several rounds at a rock 1500 yards downrange on a hillside. Much to my surprise, after the third shot, I came very close (1 foot) to hitting it. Unfortunately, the winds were strong and changing directions often this day, so I decided to shoot to 940 yards. Pretty amazing how little that huge 300 grain match grade lapua bullet is effected by the 15 mph winds on this day at that distance.

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the updates! Sorry about the hillbilly's, always have to run into them at some point in adventuring.

unkamonkey

Explorer
To make it simple, the top on my Mitso Fusi will raise up about 21 inches and the stock side curtains were an 1/8 layer of foam between two layers of nylon fabric. I glued the piece of the loop to the walls and used staples as well. The hooked part was sewn into the side curtains and there were four of them to go inside of my motorhome. I did have to label them as they all looked alike If you are in an enclosed place. Pretty much start at a known place and apply them to the velcro. Not a few minute chore and I wouldn't do it for a single night stay but if you are there for several nights it is worth it to help with the propsne use. Yeah, I did several months working out there working on houses in the winter. the system does work.

unkamonkey

Explorer
That must be a stange area. I have been up to many hunting camps and all the local cowboys wanted to do was to come in to eat our food and drink out beer. "Oh, let us know if you need us to haul out some game". I can outshoot any of them and come prepared.
The one thing I would want a picture of is was when my brothers family was down at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison and two hunters showed up all in camo including face paint. Aunt Mary was there drinking tea with one of them eating cookies. Not all rednicks are jerks.

MT6bt

Rock hound
Thanks for the updates! Sorry about the hillbilly's, always have to run into them at some point in adventuring.
No need to apologize for the hillbillies. unless, of course, you happen to be the chief spokesman for the coalition of hillbillies?
Hahaha, I don't stereotype rednecks based on this one bad experience. I've met a lot of like minded folk of that particular demographic. It's just when they start throwing garbage in the woods, 4x4ing off designated trails, or being a complete ************** that I draw the line

dsm02c

Adventurer
Feelings of invincibility and stupidity often go hand in hand... I'm glad you stuck around, it's sad people don't have anything better to do than harass others.

MT6bt

Rock hound
Indeed.
I ended up going to Townsend for a friend's boxing match Saturday. Found a nice place to camp right beside the river before the match,
e735bbe429bc78d5466acf4d60560830.jpg

4268848aaa53b4ff00b6d24a66755220.jpg

c5a89507a3e66926f324a0f49cda1d78.jpg

so I headed up into the Elkhorns (?) West of Townsend.
74c796c3a836274f130c7e6f5e15da90.jpg

The trail up was icy in several spots, primarily through this short canyon.
d97cef8fcc3419f26c5007bda2f5309e.jpg

There's some sort of advertisement painted on the rocks that is interesting. I can't make out what it is...
540f68045e78706bcb07095b5581ed77.jpg

After several miles of sketchy icy roads, a short hike to the top of a vantage point for some target practice sounded like fun!
51b1b28bdf45ffaa8d0e3519db0a8635.jpg

Maya is first up.
e001525dd828be3d20cb1f00c4c170c2.jpg

I'm becoming more proficient with every shot, 750 yards and less is a piece of cake, even with winds up to 15 mph.
1000 yards is easy to hit a 10" target, with 5 mph or less wind I'm finding.
Over 1100 is when it starts getting tricky...
Spin drift, coreallis effect, wind, barometric pressure, angle of target, altitude, temperature , and correct distance to the target(there's so much more, too) all have to be exact for a perfect shot...I've got a lot of Trigger time before that happens! Although with this setup, I have been able to get to within a couple feet of my target @1440 yards(4/5 of a mile!) after two shots, with strong 10-15 mph variable winds!
Not too shabby!
93a3b5e40816d22376588296215358ab.jpg

Well camouflaged with my filson Mackinaw coat...wish it was a different color for the mountains, but other than that, they're worth every penny. Such a well built, comfortable jacket!
There's a pretty neat bridge With A concrete mining factory Off In The Distance (I Dont Know Why My Phone Is Capitalizing All The Words).
81261246eee4a45153e2942da9af4afe.jpg

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I wonder if all the media attention on the Oregon stand off has bolstered confidence in those who think they run remote areas even when its Public Land. I had a roommate that was hard core Millitia back country pnw. He really felt that if you weren't a "known" local you had no buisness playing in "his" woods even though it was public land. Near the end of my yr with him his world was rocked when he figured out I had spent a week or two nearly every summer as a kid back country packing in the area he viewed as locals only. I explained that three generations of my family had been spending summers up there even ran cattle on summer grazing permits at one time back in the day. Tottally blew his mind. Ha... Even better I told him we hung out with a few Dallas Cowboys players up there on a back country trip. This was all back packing zero roads less than a solid days hike.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting those cool pics and updates MT6bt. That is some beautiful :drool:scenery you have travled through. It also looks like you are becoming a good shot with your rifle. Good to know if the apocolypse ever goes down. I look forward to seeing more pics/updates when you get the chance. Cheers, Chilli..:)

ClayH

Adventurer
Awesome thread. Those pics over beartooth pass bring back memories I road (2 wheels) from Oklahoma to Canada (glacier park) and we went over that pass. It was breathtaking. In Aug. And 100* in Redlodge when we started up and it started to sleet on us at the top. Then we stoped at the welcome center up top for hot coffee and the sun came out and the mosquitoes made a fur coat look on my arms! Time to ride! Lol. Anyway, I'll be following this!

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

MT6bt

Rock hound
Awesome thread. Those pics over beartooth pass bring back memories I road (2 wheels) from Oklahoma to Canada (glacier park) and we went over that pass. It was breathtaking. In Aug. And 100* in Redlodge when we started up and it started to sleet on us at the top. Then we stoped at the welcome center up top for hot coffee and the sun came out and the mosquitoes made a fur coat look on my arms! Time to ride! Lol. Anyway, I'll be following this!

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
That would be an incredible trip on bike! I would have to say traveling the going to the sun road on an enduro would be the best way to see glacier!
Cheers

Dalko43

Explorer
Wow! How did I miss this thread?

Driving a Dodge Cummins, hanging out with some German Shepherds, plinking targets with a .308, and exploring the wilderness....that's my idea of a good time! It's this kind of stuff that makes me heavily consider leaving NY and moving out west. I look forward to future updates! What kind of German Shepherds are they? Do the come from working lines? They look nice and healthy. I ask because I'm a German Shepherd owner myself; love the working breeds!

Also I just saw your post on the Long Range thread in the 'Firearm' section and responded.

MT6bt

Rock hound
Wow! How did I miss this thread?

Driving a Dodge Cummins, hanging out with some German Shepherds, plinking targets with a .308, and exploring the wilderness....that's my idea of a good time! It's this kind of stuff that makes me heavily consider leaving NY and moving out west. I look forward to future updates! What kind of German Shepherds are they? Do the come from working lines? They look nice and healthy. I ask because I'm a German Shepherd owner myself; love the working breeds!

Also I just saw your post on the Long Range thread in the 'Firearm' section and responded.
Not to brag(too much ;-) ) but it's a 338 lapua magnum. Unless somewhere in this thread I have pics of my 308 as well, not sure!
My pups are old world gsds. Straight backed. Not particularly a big fan of what the AKC has done to the breed.
They're also much larger than standard size: maya comes in at 85 lbs and Elwood at 110. They were bred to have a calm displacement, but they both love to work. Maya has a high prey drive and always wants to work. Elwood is a bit more laid back but in no way is he a couch potato.
Thanks for your support and cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles