Micro adventures of the NW rockies

dsm02c

Adventurer
Great thread, congrats on the camper, nice rifle too, I love the Vortex Razor lineup, glass is crazy clear with excellent eye relief. What is the build of the rifle, looks like a 700 action but stock / barrel look custom...

MT6bt

Rock hound
Great thread, congrats on the camper, nice rifle too, I love the Vortex Razor lineup, glass is crazy clear with excellent eye relief. What is the build of the rifle, looks like a 700 action but stock / barrel look custom...
Thanks! It is a BAT action, proof research barrel, Atlas bipod. Can't remember the Trigger at this moment, but it's bar none the most crisp trigger I've ever had!

Aside from that, I finally have my alaskan! I'll take pictures tomorrow when it's daylight...oh, wait, I'm in tacoma. I'll take it when there's a lull in precipitation :-D

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

jlutzcurtis

What can I say! The whole journey I've experience through watching these awesome images. I truly like the blog post and this adventure seems to me quite amazing.

MT6bt

Rock hound
Well, I'm finally free and clear and officially onto another segment of my adventures with my new to me alaskan camper!
Unfortunately, my abilities to stealth camp with this new setup is near impossible....As I found out immediately on the first night.
Installation of the camper and the paperwork had taken longer than expected, which meant it was dark by the time I ended up leaving Apache campers(they were great - I highly recommend them).
Not knowing the area meant only one thing: find the nearest Walmart!
within minutes (it almost seems that you could be in the middle of Antarctica and this would be true), I found myself parked in what another EXPO member's son described as "the saddest campground ever". Not sure of the restrictions on this particular Walmart, aside from a sign stating "authorized persons only", I decided to err on the side of caution, and inquired the legalities of my temporary residence to the nearest disgruntled Walmart employee. He stated,"yeah, it's fine as long as you park on the perimeter. "
I was in! Ecstatic to finally sleep in my new camper for the first time, I found the flattest part of the lot and set up shop.
After a small glass of some bourbon, and using my oven for a "it's obviously not delivery, it's DiGiornio" pizza, I was ready to retire to my new place of slumber.
Around this time, my neighbor from a few parking spaces down - a true stealth camper - was what I assume harassed or had an attempted breaking and entering on his residence. what ensued was very dramatic! I heard several expletives ,then a separate vehicle starting and burning out while backing up. This was enough to finally catch my attention, and I peeked through my fogged windows to see the chaos that ensued. Apparently, the individual who was burning out and bluffing and wanting to run over the aforementioned stealth camper several times, caused enough trouble that the stealth camper drew his side arm and had it aimed at said individual!
Holy ****! I found myself in the middle of some serious Walmart drama tonight, didn't I?!
Fortunately, nothing happened and no one was shot. both parties ended up leaving the scene, allowing me some much needed repose....
As I-once again-prepared for my slumber, I heard a gentleman approaching my camper from several yards away (my window was cracked still from the previous drama).
The portly individual proclaimed they don't allow overnight camping at this particular Walmart, and suggested that I go next door to the Target where they "probably won't hassle you".
I let him know that I previously inquired about staying here for the evening, and that he should probably put up signs that weren't so obfuscated and general, such as the ones that were displayed at this particular location. ....not wanting to start any drama, although I was relatively annoyed by this, I said OK and said "have a good night".
Part of the reason for being somewhat chipper to leave was that I had a justifiable opportunity to once again disassemble the alaskan and work the hydraulic system to its traveling state!
I'm sure that routine will become old soon...
Upon arriving at the Target next door, I noticed that the same obfuscated rhetoric sign was placed on several light poles in the lot. I decided to not even bother with tempting fate, and found myself searching online for a place to legally stay. Luck would have it, just 20 minutes away off the 405 northbound, a rest area with free coffee was calling my name!
The following morning, my next stop was the Alaskan camper company, 1.5 hours south.
42d62e88a9701ede0f0bb1e74497d3c7.jpg

568c89a70997045d35719d8a50fca94b.jpg

I made a quick stop in Olympia for some much needed real coffee (my only vice-fresh, organical beans)

MT6bt

Rock hound
I was quite surprised at how well balanced the alaskan camper is. With the top down, the center of gravity is Significantly lower than my first truck camper (a northern lite), allowing for much better road manners. The drag is significantly less as well. I am expecting decent fuel economy, although I think the 35" tires may have to go...or re - gearing the differentials.
Anyway, aside from wanting to see the alaskan camper factory just to meet Bryan, I also needed some work done on my new camper. The pirelli seals were original, and completely haggard.
Bryan was kind enough to only charge me the 1.5 hours he originally quoted, rather than the 2.5 it actually required to replace the outer seal.
During the maintenance work, he gave me a tour of the new facilities, and after that I B.S.'ed with some of the employees (sorry, Bryan :-D )
As a carpenter of 10 years, I'm glad to see the quality of these campers continue on through the years, as they remain basically the same over all these years.
4635e9b704949853a9c179ea467362bf.jpg

Last edited:

MT6bt

Rock hound
Not really having any mission after purchasing my alaskan and having the seals repaired, I inquired the locals' knowledge on what to do in the area, and have heard from multiple sources that long beach was the place to be. So, on a whim, I headed that way. I arrived just 30 minutes before sunset, and knowing how much more difficult it can be to find a place to stealth camp(funny how I use that term with my incredibly ostentatious setup) when the sun sets.
Well, I ended up not finding a place, which comes as no surprise in a tourist trap such as this! Frustrated and leary of setting up camp in a town seemingly reluctant of not making a buck off my downtime, I took a big slice of irony pie and set up shop at "Cape disappointment state park".
Hopefully the morning will contradict this unusual park name and their contemptible usage fees!

Last edited:

MT6bt

Rock hound
Well, I decided to leave long beach after the evening at cape disappointment park. It ended up being a very restful evening, and the views in the morning made up for my cheapness in choosing a campsite.
1eaf5115305af4746f5c295a94d3c789.jpg

4fc4ea61fa2ab23c75334bcb10caad18.jpg

Washington is a surprisingly green state for it being January! I've been fortunate with the weather as well. Blue bird days for the last two.
After cape disappointment, I decided to head back up to Seattle to check out pikes place fish market.
After some uncomfortably narrow lanes and a good 15 minutes of searching for a spot to park, I was on my way.
The pups had been cooped up in the vehicle for the entire day, so I leashed them up and brought them with, not knowing how that'd go...
88eace485655efb5a31d1d4be68600e0.jpg
99f9ac1710161eb5bcf12d7305265b8c.jpg

1db2d1afa83ca1e77595fcea984ae6d2.jpg

26baba4cf8fbbec4ac5373601e41f0d5.jpg

Turns out, most people were not bewildered by my big, furry ambassadors to an all too often negatively stereotyped breed. The fish market above was bar none the friendliest of all, and were very willing to give my pups fillet after fillet of treats!
After maya and Elwood had their fill, I ended up purchasing about a pound of their delicious teriyaki salmon.
for the evening's events, I ended up getting a hold of a friend I'd known from a couple years back and went out for some drinks and the best darn chicken fried steak I've ever had!
Not knowing where to park, my friend suggested parking on a side street adjacent to her house....I will say with confidence now that I am officially fully willing to spend $20 for a campsite rather than spend another night in a spot like this: vehicles whizzing by at well above the posted speed limit of 35 mph, each time making me wonder if one will lose focus of the road and clip my beloved vehicle!
And yet, on this second night before heading back to the beach, I find myself in the same spot, ugh! Only one more night and I'll be once again on the Pacific coast, listening to the waves crash and the wind whistling through the evergreen forests, this time with company!
On a side note, I forgot to mention a trip to the dog park today. The pups got their fair share of other dogs to meet and play with, along with enough fetch sessions to let me off the hook for the last couple days of commuting! We Even found a lake!
9425c5f18f25d790079ad546e6c78afe.jpg

dbb0ef206da14793c3043fff847333fd.jpg

After all those shenanigans, I made my way down to see my favorite clothing store, Filson. I've been a fond admirer of this clothing line for years now, their quality which is virtually unmatched against any other outdoor company that still makes most of their products right in seattle still. thick, comfy, durable wool fabrics and waxed cotton that's proven itself for generations, need I say more? :-D
59e56d63f0fd2d99c31a2f5b1f98a635.jpg

Last edited:

MT6bt

Rock hound
Happy New Year! Looks like you're doing great. Love the camper, what'cha do with the other one?
Happy new year to you as well!
I ended up selling it for a lot less than I bought it for, but I was in a big hurry to get rid of it, as I had to sell it, take it off, and then drive 700 miles all within 3 days!

MT6bt

Rock hound
Thanks to a fellow expo member, I was pointed to the northwest most portion of Washington, to check out the interesting creatures that are briefly revealed during low tide, clinging to the rapidly cooled lava flows from eons ago. I'm also happy to report for the first time, I brought my truck on a ferry, saving over 100 miles of drive time, and allowing a nice repose from the chaotic city driving. (My apologies for the somewhat blurry pictures, I accidentally left my new camera back in Montana! )
04cc9bb6949ade4c77151f9fdce54584.jpg

47cee97bbf605bffe8d35fff332ce6d6.jpg

Shortly after departure, it was another 100 miles through dense forests laden with old growth cedars, pines, and deciduous ghost white bark trees stripped of their foliage. The ubiquitous Fern and mosses revealed to me how much precipitation the area acquires.

Low tide for the area was calculated around 845pm, so descending down
the concrete stairs into pitch black to the high tide water line was unnerving. Something in my gut felt uneased by this: clearly the area was not intended to be inhabited by humans, and the thought of making a mistake, getting stuck out in this area when the tides came in would turn me into ground chuck steak in no time.
Perhaps I'm being dramatic, but regardless, the thoughts still lingered!
What the low tide revealed was incredible: I've never been able to view anemones, sea urchins, hermit crabs, sea lice, star fish, sea snails, and countless other saltwater creatures in their natural state. The vibrant blues, purples, pinks, greens, and blues contrasted the dark - as - night terra firma, enhancing their beauty.
254800a6556e980f0ab4fc2f40247306.jpg

20e3f5eb6e2486e5b786116bd9662ca6.jpg

afc6605518d8324cf333644d0bb315b1.jpg

059643bd796e1153e605521836161d65.jpg

4073a1b8a8212e09fa8f6a30474baece.jpg

656e43f0cf0718b3ba4e077ecea0dab5.jpg

59e7c597e4065674a6047db98a7aee89.jpg

e770b2715fff808831e84f6fe36de56b.jpg

96430b18fba53f3d7db56052e7e5bdb2.jpg

943769813b7d337e7577787441477712.jpg

After my brief exploration into the unknown (for me), I decided to retire for the evening.

MT6bt

Rock hound
The following day was a sluggish one. Knowing that come Tuesday, I'll be back to the daily grind of work, I was in no hurry to leave this area. As I stood near the edge of this particularly abrupt shoreline, sipping my morning coffee, I came to the realization that the beauty of it cannot be limited by just one sense:
The aroma of the dense, Ocean air paired with the seemingly omnipresent cloud cover, all too often concealing the forest ' s diverse ecosystem clashes together at this point where earth and water meet and all the senses are able to be absorbed and enveloped.

But...All good things must come to an end they say, so I ended up making my way back to Seattle, and am currently working my way back to my still favorite state, Montana.
f9d78154154ef0ae82fc0fde51542ce7.jpg

Last edited:

MT6bt

Rock hound
Awesome, loving it.
Why thank you!
Not really a whole lot to update as of now. The alaskan camper is doing pretty well, as long as temps don't drop down below single digits. Below that and my battery bank will pretty much be used up only on the heater working overtime just to keep the camper at a decent, fairly comfortable temperature.
I think a vented catalytic heater is in my horizon as soon as the budget allows!
The dogs seem to be a bit cramped, understandably.

534843deadc48bd8fd66a08d640487aa.jpg

MT6bt

Rock hound
So, once again I find myself without work for a short stint. What to do? How about a road trip to Elkhorn hot springs and maverick mountain for some skiing, why not?
originally, my intentions were to camp out on the revenue flats, but due to sketchy road conditions and the lack of proper extrication equipment, safety behooves adventure this time! Option number 2 is camping on Ennis lake.
Sold!
fe8341cb647685ec9aba28092dd2fb11.jpg

Temperatures have been pretty forgiving, but the wind was blowing all night.
My forays in Mexican cuisine have often drawn me to the most authentic and delicious meals, specifically the nearly ubiquitous(in California) "roach coach". In my opinion, these are where you can find the tastiest Mexican cuisine. Home made carnitas, carne asada, chorizo... all modestly topped with usually nothing more than onions, cilantro, and home made salsa. There's no need for anything else when the recipe is just right!
It's led me to my own experimentation in the like: simple, nutritious, delicious!
Pair that up with a fresh spring green salad full of blanched almonds, golden raisins, thinly sliced onions, and a balsamic vinaigrette.
d0908f73eb1045ac7ca45c32cfc5b347.jpg

The next day, weather remained the same: overcast and windy. But a tolerable 30 degrees.
Before putting the top down, I snapped a couple pictures of this beautiful spot.
d5376951962cb041aac87aab81caa1d9.jpg

9dcfabc10c4afcdd34b60464bb7cbdd0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles