MG Metalworks Van Build

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
While y'all have been talking about snorkels, I got everything in the engine compartment sorted out and started up the Cummins last night. By no means am I finished but she is alive!!! What a radical difference in sound and torquey-ness vs the 5.4L that came out of the van...

video coming soon.

Nice!

giphy.gif

:wings::wings:
I remember the feeling when my transplanted diesel roared to life. Much less complicated that MG's swap. Hats off to ya:sombrero:

Coincidentally, I have the same tires (Toyo Open Country RT) as you in the 37x12.5-17 flavor on my Scout. Been pretty happy with them. More aggressive than an AT, but not noisy like most MT.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I've been pleasantly surprised with my 35/12.50/17 Toyo MT's. Maybe it's the sound insulation Brad performed, but I don't hear them much at all. And no, my exhaust isn't really loud to drown out tire noise either.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
If you follow our Instagram or Facebook pages, you may have seen a couple videos of the Cummins van pulling out of the driveway and running down the road. Good feeling all around knowing that the van runs and moves freely about the world now. As with any mega project though, it is not without some items to address. The Allison trans now being the bulk of those items.

The good news is that I was able to get the Cummins ECM and the Allison TCM to communicate directly with each other rather than having an intermediate "CAN Bridge" to handle communications. This is huge because it's like an OEM to OEM connection... rock solid, very little worry of a loss of communication.

The not awesome news is that I have a couple DTCs that may be related to each other that are causing a 'limp mode' condition in the trans. I started reading about the troubleshooting steps in the manual but playing outside with the kids sounded more fun so I put the ohmmeter away for the day. I can check the harness tomorrow.

Anyhow... the hardest parts of this build are over. Interior is coming up. Materials being ordered, parts on the way, new designs taking shape. Can't wait to use this van!

For those who are curious... Even with zero interior and only minimal sound deadening at this point, the Cummins is super quiet compared to the 6.0 and 7.3. :)

limatangobravo

Observer
G Money, I haven't had many opportunities to stalk your thread....I truly look forward to see the next best move on your Van Gogh. None the less it needs a little dirt in the fender wells.....I would be howling at the moon to set that Rig in Drive and hit Fort Stevens beach.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
If you follow our Instagram or Facebook pages, you may have seen a couple videos of the Cummins van pulling out of the driveway and running down the road. Good feeling all around knowing that the van runs and moves freely about the world now. As with any mega project though, it is not without some items to address. The Allison trans now being the bulk of those items.

The good news is that I was able to get the Cummins ECM and the Allison TCM to communicate directly with each other rather than having an intermediate "CAN Bridge" to handle communications. This is huge because it's like an OEM to OEM connection... rock solid, very little worry of a loss of communication.

The not awesome news is that I have a couple DTCs that may be related to each other that are causing a 'limp mode' condition in the trans. I started reading about the troubleshooting steps in the manual but playing outside with the kids sounded more fun so I put the ohmmeter away for the day. I can check the harness tomorrow.

Anyhow... the hardest parts of this build are over. Interior is coming up. Materials being ordered, parts on the way, new designs taking shape. Can't wait to use this van!

For those who are curious... Even with zero interior and only minimal sound deadening at this point, the Cummins is super quiet compared to the 6.0 and 7.3. :)

I can attest to this; no interior(meaning bare metal), doghouse off, MG and I could still have a conversation without saying "Huh???" And no heavy Ford diesel rattle(sorry VANdiana, you know you're a bit chatty at times), and such a sweet whistle out the tailpipe. Super impressed.

Missiongravity

Wow, what a build. Not to mention there is tons of square footage in that engine bay compared to the 6.0L. I HATED working on my 6.0L, when it finally died it was almost a relief. That install is super clean.

You're swap is making my upcoming swap look less and less daunting as the day comes(8 days from today).

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Almost have all of the materials to get my new flooring in place. Friday I got a big delivery of L-track. Today I got the finish material via frieght, later this week I'll be getting the 'subfloor' materials...

roll of flooring goodness...

While I'm waiting for the rest of the stuff, I have been designing mounts for my new seats (I sold the Sienna seats that were in my van already) plus trying to decide on the final layout of the van.

Haven't had a chance to drive the van much because I still need to troubleshoot the transmission errors and I have a customer van in the shop on the lift at the moment so personal projects wait. I know what I need to do though...pull the valve body and see what it making a valve stick/pressure switch not trigger. Piece of cake. :cool:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Almost have all of the materials to get my new flooring in place. Friday I got a big delivery of L-track. Today I got the finish material via frieght, later this week I'll be getting the 'subfloor' materials...

roll of flooring goodness...

While I'm waiting for the rest of the stuff, I have been designing mounts for my new seats (I sold the Sienna seats that were in my van already) plus trying to decide on the final layout of the van.

Haven't had a chance to drive the van much because I still need to troubleshoot the transmission errors and I have a customer van in the shop on the lift at the moment so personal projects wait. I know what I need to do though...pull the valve body and see what it making a valve stick/pressure switch not trigger. Piece of cake. :cool:

New seats?? Do tell!

Dang customer vans are pushing your UltimateVan project aside, pshhh! :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier