MG Metalworks Van Build

mgmetalworks

Explorer
With the body down on the frame, lots of final details getting done.

pulled the original harness out, relocated the ABS module, bent and flared some new brake lines (and carefully rerouted some factory lines), installed hydroboost and master cylinder, relocated A/C lines and made up new lines for the engine, etc...

I also made up the hydroboost lines and designed a bracket for the power steering reservoir (getting laser cut now)...

Had to open up the front sheetmetal to accommodate the radiator and intercooler.

The funny thing is, I still have to cut more relief in the core support to clear the intercooler inlet/outlet. It's damn big... The radiator is not tiny either. I'm not concerned about getting everything to fit though, it will all work out. I don't even think I'll have to move the hood latch. The part it mounts too will be modified like crazy but I think I can leave the latch in the same spot. :)

Betarocker

Adventurer
The swap gives you more room on either side of the engine, but is taller and longer. How are you going to tie the top of the header panel together?

_hein_

Observer
Wonderful progress on your van and
congratulations with the Transit order.
If your plans include a 4WD/lift kit then
We would like to get on the list for that.

All the best,
Hein

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader

pulled the original harness out, relocated the ABS module, bent and flared some new brake lines (and carefully rerouted some factory lines), installed hydroboost and master cylinder, relocated A/C lines and made up new lines for the engine, etc...

I also made up the hydroboost lines and designed a bracket for the power steering reservoir (getting laser cut now)...

Had to open up the front sheetmetal to accommodate the radiator and intercooler.

The funny thing is, I still have to cut more relief in the core support to clear the intercooler inlet/outlet. It's damn big... The radiator is not tiny either. I'm not concerned about getting everything to fit though, it will all work out. I don't even think I'll have to move the hood latch. The part it mounts too will be modified like crazy but I think I can leave the latch in the same spot. :)

Excellent progress.

Many haven't seen what lies behind the grill... unfortunately I'm much to familiar with the sheet metal you're cutting up. If I had more time, money, and energy, I'd be seeing if I could squeeze an Intercooler in front of a 7.3 radiator.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
We've got a 6.0 intercooler & radiator in AlphaVan with the 7.3. Tons of work to get it properly intercooled though.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
...How are you going to tie the top of the header panel together?

I'm going to use the factory piece along the top but I'll have to trim it to fit the radiator and add some brackets at the ends to make up for what was cut away. It will look pretty close to stock when it is done.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
DSC_0054.jpg

jeeze dude, even your cuts look amazing...

kccourtney

Observer

Intercooler shmintercooler! Can we just fast forward to the custom Powerstep brackets already?!? ; ) Kidding. Body on. That's a big milestone that looks like a lot of leg work to make happen. Keep fightin the good fight MG.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Wonderful progress on your van and
congratulations with the Transit order.
If your plans include a 4WD/lift kit then
We would like to get on the list for that.

All the best,
Hein

BOOM! Sprinter owner converting to a Transit. Giggity giggity.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Out of many, there is one....

Yeah, it's taken 4 different Chrysler/Cummins fan shrouds to come up with something that works in the tight confines of the van's engine compartment. There's a certain amount of despair that comes over you when you first pull a brand new part out of the box, cut it to pieces in an attempt to get it to work and then realize that it just won't fit right. It's even worse doing it to the 4th part you've ordered in as many weeks. But hey, they're only $65-$85 shrouds that are now only good for lining the bottom of a garbage can...

With pieces of the first and 4th part, I was able to make up a shroud that fits the radiator (once I cut off and relocate the mounting bosses) AND lines up and seals against the big rubber fan shroud on the engine side. Of course this required cutting down the side tank and all of the mounts that came with this perfectly good (and expensive) Mishimoto radiator. Warranties?! Who needs warranties?

So now I can FINALLY move forward. It might surprise you how many things on the to-do list are dependent on the positioning of the radiator.

With all that radiator stuff sorted out, I started playing around with the intercooler. Don't have much choice of where to put this thing...it's kinda big and it dictates its own positioning.

The passenger side intercooler piping is child's play. The driver side, not so much. The poor radiator needs more cutting so I can slip a 3.5" diameter tube past it. I'm going to replace the lower body brace with a laser cut and welded assembly that doubles as the radiator and intercooler mount. I got it all measured out today, hope to have a CAD model done and drawings sent off before end of day tomorrow.

Even with as big as that intercooler is, the grill support only needs a tiny bit of trimming to fit around it. The next big challenge is the top core support brace and the location of the hood latch. Yep, the intercooler interferes with it at the moment. It looks as though I can move the latch back about an inch and make it work out nicely.

Not many "challenges" left before the front end is fully assembled...

Shame you couldn't find an off the shelf radiator that would fit. One day that thing will puke and you will have to spend time making another custom part. Hope you are close to home when it happens.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Oh mama, is that a FMIC or what?! Gazooks! :Wow1:

I hope you're documenting all the little custom mods to get this to work, for when you do the next Cummins build for a customer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior