Mercedes Overland Building/Tuning

Geo.Lander

Exactly my thoughts, as much as I love getting 'out there', I would love to visit cities. Prague has always been on my bucket list because of it's architecture. My plan includes a small motorcycle, I figure I'll have to park outside many places and then explore by motorcycle.

Good plan, we have already ordered a Honda CRF 300L for our rig :D

RoamIt

Nice! I've got a Yamaha WR450, that I think is a tad too much, and I've had a TW200 which may be a tad too little. I'm not a regular rider, so looking for low seat height, low weight, user friendly ride. I did see great reviews of the CRF300L, even has a 'Rally' version with a windscreen and larger tank.
I saw several e-bikes, electric motorcycles at Expo East. I'm considering them as well.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Good plan, we have already ordered a Honda CRF 300L for our rig :D
We really like having our bike with us, not only for exploring but in case your home breaks down (or you get stuck). One question, does the Honda have pegs for a pillion? We have used it to leave the truck parked and go to trailheads.

RoamIt

Well, you guys have completely failed to talk me down. Despite all the talk of starter failures, clogged fuel systems, bizarre electrical systems, and loose screws, I'm moving forward with importing a MB 1224 anyway o_O (hence the thread title change!)

I have to give a shout out to Martin from Terra-Exp https://terra-exp.com/ He has answered my questions and provided in person assessment of the truck. Along with many pic's and explanations.

I may be getting a little ahead of things, just a verbal agreement at this juncture, but it looks like Monday I be wiring a large sum of money (to me, anyway) to get this beast on a boat. As we all know, logistics world wide is a mess right now. So it may be awhile before I actually get the truck. It will be shipped from Germany to Florida, received and titled as a truck by Martin at Terra-Exp. Then we just sign the title over to me. After some of the horror stories I've heard about getting a truck imported, I was concerned about it. But Martin/Terra-Exp is making it easy for me, so grateful for that.

I've been looking at getting it transported to me in Ohio, but with the shortage of drivers/fuel costs, etc. I may end up flying down and driving it home. My first expedition!

This makes me a tad nervous, well over 1000 miles in a 26 old truck I've never seen. But I'm counting on a few things:

1.) MB Firetruck that has been kept indoors and regularly maintained/serviced. Just 60K miles on an engine/trans with a reputation for dependability.

2.) 4Wheel24 (https://4wheel24.de/) curated this truck, this was a truck they selected for conversion. They have a great reputation as far as I can tell and are the experts in these vehicles. They would not have acquired a truck that needed a lot of work/had issues even before they started a conversion.

3.) While I'm getting an unconverted truck to do my own build, 4Wheel24 is going to fully service the truck before it leaves Germany, and tune it to 300hp for me. This truck has the later OM366LA engine at 240hp. From what I've gathered the factory tuned these up to 300hp/740ftlbs in some applications (please correct me if I got this wrong, found these numbers but can't re-find it now, so much different info out there! but the 300hp tune is being done by several other operations, not just 4Wheel24 ) so I'm comfortable with tuning to that level. I'll be doing my own 'bullet-proofing' with augmented cooling/filters/EGT gauge, etc., once I get a wrench on it.

So, of course, I'm expecting to be on the side of the road, on a deserted stretch, during a record blizzard, completely clueless why, and with just duk tape and hammer for tools and no spare parts. Should be epic...

Since it may be the dead of winter in Ohio by the time I get it here, and I have 2 major projects in front of it (old 911 restomod, masterbath remodel) It may be a few months before anything major starts happening. Which works out because I still need to figure out the habitat plans. There may, or may not, be a lifting roof involved :unsure: So there will be a lot of measuring, and then getting the fire box off, etc.

If I can figure out why it's not uploading, I'll post some pic's.

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Well, you guys have completely failed to talk me down. Despite all the talk of starter failures, clogged fuel systems, bizarre electrical systems, and loose screws,
'Loose screws' so the truck owners?

but it looks like Monday I be wiring a large sum of money (to me, anyway) to get this beast on a boat.
I thought we were meeting behind the abandoned warehouse at 2 am for our cash deal?

Germany to Florida, received and titled as a truck by Martin at Terra-Exp. Then we just sign the tile over to me. After some of the horror stories I've heard about getting a truck imported, I was concerned about it. But Martin/Terra-Exp is making it easy for me, so grateful for that.
That sounds like a super safe and easy way. Between 4Wheel24 looking at it overseas and Terra-Exp handing it on this end, it should be a walk in the park

I've been looking at getting it transported to me in Ohio, I may end up flying down and driving it home. This makes me a tad nervous, well over 1000 miles in a 26 old truck I've never seen.
I drove my 1979 1017 almost 1800 miles on a round trip after getting it with zero problems. The good thing is you get the first trip jitters out of the way. And with both 4Wheel24 and Terra-Exp having gone through it, you should have a lot of peace of mind.

2.) 4Wheel24 curated this truck, this was a truck they selected for conversion. They have a great reputation as far as I can tell and are the experts in these vehicles.
I've met and talked with them in Germany and looked at their work. First-class guys and work all of the way!

3.) While I'm getting an unconverted truck to do my own build, 4Wheel24 is going to fully service the truck before it leaves Germany, and tune it to 300hp for me
300hp will be AWESOME!

So, of course, I'm expecting to be on the side of the road, on a deserted stretch, during a record blizzard, completely clueless why, Should be epic...
More likely answering a million questions every time you stop. Waiting for people to take photos and asking to sit in the cab. Explaining for the 1000th time is it not a Unimog/Hummer/Russian/Etc. And being annoyed with the cars driving in your 7 o'clock position taking photos as you drive so you can't pull over into the fast lane to use that 300 hp

Congratulations ! (y)?

Are you going to have them set you up with super singles before it ships? That would make it super simple.

Last edited:

RoamIt

Another vote on singles done in Europe! Don't ask how I know this!

I saw the pic's!

I'm thinking that with this being a 22.5" 10 hole truck I should be able to get quality rims here.

I did inquire about loading some parts/spares, but Martin told me they are very picky about that and actually made them take some parts out of a rig they were shipping.

RoamIt

I have thought about having wheels/tires bought and staged in Florida, so I would have new tires/spare and better top speed for the drive. Challenge would be the other tweaks. Martin said I would need a lift, trimming, etc., to fit them.

Any specific experience installing super singles on the SK heavy chassis? I don't to get bogged down trying to get them to fit right while in Florida.

Sitec

Adventurer
I'm moving forward with importing a MB 1224 anyway o_O

I WILL end up flying down and driving it home. My first expedition!

This makes me a tad nervous, well over 1000 miles in a 26 old truck I've never seen. But I'm BRAVE AND IT WILL BE FINE!!!

Doooooo itttttt!!! It'll be awesome!!! Theres quite a few of us who have jumped on planes and then driven our new toy home!! It'll be great fun, and a gret section in your thread! Welcome to the world of MB trucks! :)

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I have thought about having wheels/tires bought and staged in Florida, so I would have new tires/spare and better top speed for the drive. Challenge would be the other tweaks. Martin said I would need a lift, trimming, etc., to fit them.

Any specific experience installing super singles on the SK heavy chassis? I don't to get bogged down trying to get them to fit right while in Florida.

Get it done in Europe where there are many, many more options. Also, consider getting a new set of Marquart or similar shocks fitted while you are at it.

RoamIt

I want to wait until it's built up and I get the final weight before I order any shocks/springs. Coming from my racing experience, you typically 'corner weight' your car, getting a weight for each wheel before adjusting spring height, spring rate, rebound/compression on shocks, etc. It makes a huge difference in how a car handles.

I only tweaked my Land Cruiser with a simple lift/shocks, but for this rig, I really want to dial it in. With the costs involved, I want to get it right the first time with the suspension.

I hear you guys on the super singles, since mine is 22.5" rims, quick google search here in the states shows a ton of available wheels/tires. Hard to justify what I'm sure will be massive shipping costs to get 5 wheels/6 tires here from Europe.

Anyone know what offset I need for the 1224 SK so the rims can swap front to back? Anyone know the bolt pattern spec's?

Geo.Lander

I want to wait until it's built up and I get the final weight before I order any shocks/springs. Coming from my racing experience, you typically 'corner weight' your car, getting a weight for each wheel before adjusting spring height, spring rate, rebound/compression on shocks, etc. It makes a huge difference in how a car handles.

I only tweaked my Land Cruiser with a simple lift/shocks, but for this rig, I really want to dial it in. With the costs involved, I want to get it right the first time with the suspension.

I hear you guys on the super singles, since mine is 22.5" rims, quick google search here in the states shows a ton of available wheels/tires. Hard to justify what I'm sure will be massive shipping costs to get 5 wheels/6 tires here from Europe.

Anyone know what offset I need for the 1224 SK so the rims can swap front to back? Anyone know the bolt pattern spec's?

The suspension available for these trucks has pretty high applicable gross weights. For instance the aftermarket parabolic spring I fitted are either 4/3+1 Springs designed for rear axle loads of between 6-8 tons (metric). You aren't dealing with fine tuning down to the kg here and suspension systems simply aren't available to do that anyway off the shelf. You are much better having the new suspension and tires fitted in the EU and having them shipped on the truck. I think that's what everyone is getting at. The EU workshop have much better experience in this regard...
You are going the get the truck to the states and realise you should have probably gone down that route..
I know from rebuilding suspension of on my land rovers that you try and get the weight inline with spring rate, rebound damping etc but that simply isn't done to such an extent on these trucks it seems..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior