Matthewp's MuTTT (Multiple Terrain Tactical Teardrop).

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I went to say hello to my local welding shop today...

Here's a Teaser:

This is the main frame tacked together. It will be another couple of weeks before I get to tow this home and start working on it so please be patient!

For those of you unfamiliar with my design, please see HERE.

Last edited:

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Look what followed me home today:

Here's a closer view of the front area with the propane tank/spare tire rack sitting in place:

Next step is to get a coat of primer on it, then start with plywood on the bottom and sheet metal on the sides.

Last edited:

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I didn't get much done today, just put the frame up on blocks to dis-assemble the suspension (to finish priming and painting), and cut some of the wood for the floor. Unfortunately that's about all I'll get done this weekend, we're going to Canada to see the in-laws.
ezy9u8yh.jpg
mu9agedy.jpg

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
What did you use for plywood? How thick?

Subscribed...

I'm using 3/4"... Excuse me, 23/32" for the flooring, it's solid project grade (very few, if any knots but not absolutely smooth.) It will be sealed and undercoated. When I do the sides, I will be going to marine grade 1/2" as the outer of a sandwich using hard foam insulation.

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
Thanks! I was curious of using 1/2" Advantech (from Lowe's) for the flooring of mine, which the floor is only 41"x71" (roughly). I s'pose I'd coat it with something too.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Thanks! I was curious of using 1/2" Advantech (from Lowe's) for the flooring of mine, which the floor is only 41"x71" (roughly). I s'pose I'd coat it with something too.

I could probably get away with 1/2" with all the metal bracing in the frame, but i just wanted a little more strength on the bottom for "impact resistance." I'll use 1/2" for the bed area.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Matthewp's STILL Un-named Off-road Camper Build.

Today was as much about testing construction theory as it was about actually building. I only bought one sheet of metal because I wasn't sure if I'd actually be able to form it to meet my needs.

My plan was to use a 2 X 4 (with one side shaved to form a sharper edge) as a poor man's sheet-bender.
jy7utu5u.jpg

With a little tapping of the hammer after bending each side, the final product wasn't too shabby, even if I say so myself!
y7u4ara7.jpg

Here's the test fit into the frame after installing the hatch. The hatch actually attaches to the trailer frame, not the sheet metal sides.
e9ame9ez.jpg

And, here's the final sealed & primed product.
e7eqa5uv.jpg

Tomorrow, I'm going to be working on the flooring and the battery/water tank area.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior