LR3 owners sound off, which tires?

gabrielef

I’ve heard of the same complaints about KO2’s, but I think any sidewall is weak against a well placed razor edged rock. I’ve never flatted in my KO2’s while off-roading, so far. I know the Expedition Marooned (Expedition Rove now) couple did the PanAm highway in KO2’s without any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al Blue4.6l

Duratrac sidewalls are definitely thin. I randomly popped a Duratrac on a flat fire road. I love them for daily driving, snow and and driving around the farm. I continue to run them every day and will buy another set when these wear out. But I have a spare set of wheels with STT Pros for offroading. The STTs definitely have some gouges that would have put the Duratracs out of commission.

Attachments

• Qx4-Lmn_TRSDvf1DBz0VRg.jpg
    Qx4-Lmn_TRSDvf1DBz0VRg.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Blaise

I guess it's just me. Four trips to moab, two to SWCO, one complete trip around the entire Alaskan road system (incl unpaved roads) - never had an issue.

I'm not saying anyone is lying, just hard to believe that a top-tier brand would sell an off-road tire with weak sidewalls.

Maybe one of these days I'll cross-section a used up duratrac and a used-up KO2 and put this theory to the test :)

XJLI

Adventurer
I never busted a sidewall on KOs, KO2s, or KM1s... probably close 250k miles between four sets of tires. I did slice two Cooper AT3 sidewalls doing much less hardcore stuff.

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
Morrisdl, At least you put some use out of them. My four brand new Duratracs cracked along sidewalks like ripened tomatoes after ONLY 800 miles. It was winter, but still completely unacceptable! I got upset so bad, that I promised to myself never to buy another set from" Good for one year " Co. It took me over a month back and forth with Supplier to get my money back. Good for one year was not helpful, downright rude and local garage that I her purchased them from refunded me with their own money and went after manufacturer on their own.Joke marshmallows !

Last edited:

gabrielef

Cody of Xpedition America runs the Radar Tires A/T’s and he likes their performance so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XJLI

Adventurer
Any thoughts on Nexen? Came across a good deal on a set of Roadian AT Pro RA8 - $135/each on amazon. 114 load rating, but only 4 ply.

Those aren’t enough tire. If you’re going P rated, you should get tires w a XL rating. P rated tires are rated at 35 psi and shouldn’t be run at higher than that, which you’ll need to do. Also, you can only use 91% of that load rating. XL tires are rated up to 45 psi. If you’re going to a 18” wheel, you should get a LT tire.

I didn’t want to believe this either, but I emailed a few tire companies and they said the same thing.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Cheap tires will leave you stranded, just spend the money for good ones. I am surprised that LR owners want to get cheap tires and with all the discussion on this site that people are still having problems deciding on a tire.

Hell Pie

Any thoughts on Nexen? Came across a good deal on a set of Roadian AT Pro RA8 - $135/each on amazon. 114 load rating, but only 4 ply.
I bought a set of Nexen Roadian tires for my LR3 back in 2008. I don't remember what the specific model of Roadian it was, but they were not the AT Pro. The tires lasted 48,000 miles and at that point they were pretty much bald. In my opinion, they were not very good tires. During my time with the Nexens, I took my LR3 back to the place that I had purchased them from for an alignment or some other matter, and the associate said, "where did you get these cheap tires from?", to which I commented, "from you guys." He kept his mouth shut after that. If even the tire guy is calling them cheap, then perhaps that is something to be noted.

After the Nexens I ran a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM tires. They were better than the Nexens, but I received two sidewalls punctures, one on the street a quarter mile from home and one when I was aired down on a trail. I was able to squeeze about 65,000 miles out of the tires.

I am currently running KO2s. There are about 38,000 miles on the tires and I have nothing but good things to say about them. They have served me well both on the road and off the road.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Be real about where you do most of your driving. BFG or Duratracks look cool but unless you doing over 50% of you miles on dirt get a Michelin LTX AT2. I miss them from my old Disco so much. As soon as my BFGs are worn out I will be going back to Michelin’s. The suck In mud for sure but 75% of my driving is on pavement and half the fun of an adventure is getting through the muck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior