LR3 owners sound off, which tires?

unseenone

Explorer
I went from 285x60x18 Nitto TG to the K02 265x60x18 (load range E) -- Happy so far, the shifting pattern is noticeably better. I just couldn't bring myself to go 65 profile.

unseenone

Explorer
Here you go. My general observation are they look a lot smaller on the vehicle, I am getting used to it. In reality they are not much smaller in width or height. Bear in mind, the Nitto shown is worn, and not on a rim and inflated. It is a bit of an optical illusion that the k02 looks wider, in reality the Nitto is about 1" wider and 1" taller. 265mm is 10.4" and 285 is 11.2" In reality the bfg will probably not last as long as the Nitto, however the BFG does have a smoother ride. I hope this helps. Notably, the wider tires in 18" which were available in the 60 profile are load range "D" and I wanted load range "E" so this was the only option without going to the 65.

IMG_20161222_131924705-s.jpg
IMG_20161222_131949474-s.jpg

Last edited:

jwlester

Observer
Thanks unseenone. I'm now waffling between the 60 and 65 profile. Can you share your thought process?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

unseenone

Explorer
While I like the idea of higher profile tires, I don't want to take any chances tearing anything up in the event of suspension failure. Additionally, I need to use access height often to get into the garage, etc. It just isn't worth the risk. Furthermore, doing quite a bit of towing lately. The vehicle is geared for the tire size specified 255x60x18, so you will lose some power with larger tires as well. After the switch back, the truck seems to have better shift points, and mileage is as good or better than with the larger tires. Additionally, the k02 is a lighter tire, which is also a benefit. With properly inflated tires, the rim should have adequate protection with the 60 profile. If you get into some rocky terrain that extra height is not going to do much if anything for you anyway, IMO.

btompkins0112

My truck has a lot of miles (150k) and I was looking to save some $$ so I decided to try Maxxis Bravo AT-771. I got them for $99/tires, and have been really impressed thus far. Road noise went down significantly against the previous General Grabber AT2s and I may be getting a pinch better mileage (17.2mpg vs 16.5), but that could be down to them being new vs. the worn Grabbers. They look pretty good on the truck, as well, and have held up in the few off-road excursions I have had since swapping them out a few months back.

jgdisco2

Adventurer
Sorry for bringing this thread up again, but I'm working on tires for the 06 lr3 we have. I've found a set of nitto terra grappler 265/65/18 for a pretty good deal. This is the lady's car and 85/15 on/off road driving. No lift and no plans for a lift. Will this size work(spare fitment as well)? I've read this whole thread and couldn't pinpoint the answer.

Last edited:

ryandavenport

Adventurer
Sorry for bringing this thread up again, but I'm working on tires for the 06 lr3 we have. I've found a set of nitto terra grappler 265/65/18 for a pretty good deal. This is the lady's car and 85/15 on/off road driving. No lift and no plans for a lift. Will this size work(spare fitment as well)? I've read this whole thread and couldn't pinpoint the answer.

I can't answer for the spare but can answer for the rest. We just ran these tires (passenger XL not LT) on our LR3. Ultimately they didn't prove tough enough to puncture wounds though, so we moved up to General Grabber AT2s in an LT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerdog53

Explorer

The size will fit without issue, It is my understanding that the spare will fit, it will certainly fit if deflated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles