LR3 Coil spring conversion kit

Take a look at my build thread in my sig line, I did the OME +2 conversion and love it. There are some on here that have done it and can quantifiably point towards the pros/cons, like NWoods notes it doesn't improve articulation. To me performance is a subjective statement, i.e. my performance when the truck was on its bump stops in the Empty Quarter was pretty piss poor, but when the EAS worked it was great. Likewise I do think ride quality may be slightly worse but that is somewhat subjective too-or rather perhaps I'm just conditioned by my D1 (and Tacoma) to the point where a coil sprung LR3 still is quite comfortable for long haul driving comparatively.

I would say it rarely makes sense to do it based off initial cost compared to rebuilding or replacing an air compressor for the 'normal' suspension failure; on the other hand if you hit a point where its compressor + air struts + valve blocks...now all the sudden doing it could make more sense.

I have no regrets about doing it, but it makes sense for my build, my application, and intended purpose. That is not a universal truth.
r-
Ray

Let me ask you this, is it feasible to do the 2inch spring conversion and then aslo apply the toddco 2in spacers to achieve approx 4" of lift? that would look sweet

Ray_G

Explorer
Let me ask you this, is it feasible to do the 2inch spring conversion and then aslo apply the toddco 2in spacers to achieve approx 4" of lift? that would look sweet

I honestly don't know, but presume you could-the issue you will almost certainly run into is one of geometry and strain on the CVs-but that's supposition on my part really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I kinda was expecting that answer. The reason I ask is because right now I have the 2.5" rod lift, and when I use off road height I'm up another 2.5" so is that putting the same exact strain on the CVs?

Ray_G

Explorer
Yeah I kinda was expecting that answer. The reason I ask is because right now I have the 2.5" rod lift, and when I use off road height I'm up another 2.5" so is that putting the same exact strain on the CVs?

Well yes, but presumably you aren't moving at great speed for long timeframes in that configuration so that mitigates it some.

The other thing that popped in my mind after responding is what size tire are you looking to fit that would look correct with 4+" of lift (never mind functionality)-at a certain point you but that jacked up F250 look where the vehicles proportions are out of synch.

That's just my opinion however and w/o seeing it it's tough to say you know? Somebody has to wade into those waters!

jhawk

Adventurer
It's OK to step away.

I miss everything about my LR3 except it always being broke, always.

I went 2+ coils after two struts and a compressor. The air suspension was definitely cool, but I really didn't miss it. For all intents and purposes the truck performed the same with coils.

Jim

I've installed the 2" Old Man EMU's, purely as a band-aid. (The ride is great)

This week it's crank sensor, cam sensor, starter solenoid, or possibly alternator issue... I've named our LR3 Boris-2...(See YouTube)

Out of respect, I'll not say how I really feel. Hashtag, done...

Well yes, but presumably you aren't moving at great speed for long timeframes in that configuration so that mitigates it some.

The other thing that popped in my mind after responding is what size tire are you looking to fit that would look correct with 4+" of lift (never mind functionality)-at a certain point you but that jacked up F250 look where the vehicles proportions are out of synch.

That's just my opinion however and w/o seeing it it's tough to say you know? Somebody has to wade into those waters!

Well, right now I have 275/65/18 32" KO2s and it looks great. I kinda wanted to be able to go to a 33". Or at least 32.5"

spikemd

Explorer
My buddy has 33s right now with a hefty coil lift as I believe spacers. CV angles are pretty extreme and you don't get much axle drop, but he has plenty of clearance underneath. He is test fitting 35s now!

zelatore

Explorer
My buddy has 33s right now with a hefty coil lift as I believe spacers. CV angles are pretty extreme and you don't get much axle drop, but he has plenty of clearance underneath. He is test fitting 35s now!

Yes, he's running 33s. Here's the 'how': He's got the +2" coils which in theory should give you about the stock 'off road' height. Then he has some home-made spacers on top of those so he's about +5-6" total I'd guess. I know he sits a bit higher than I do with Johnson Rods when I'm in off-road height, so he's got a lot of lift. (as measured from wheel center to arch) He's also not running any armor or bumpers so he's pretty much stock sprung weight which helps him maintain height with coils. (if he had my armor he'd probably loose at least an inch of lift) And he's not the least bit squeamish about taking cutting tools to the truck. He's already done some cutting at the back of the wheel wells on the fronts and he's planning to do a lot more to try to get the 35s to fit. Certainly not something most are going to be willing to try.

Additionally I find even with my 33s the truck is really in need of regearing. I have to think with 35s it's only going to be worse.

I am also waiting for the CVs to start exploding on this rig. I've killed one on my own rig and with even heavier tires he's going to be asking for trouble I fear.

Ray_G

Explorer
Yes, he's running 33s. Here's the 'how': He's got the +2" coils which in theory should give you about the stock 'off road' height. Then he has some home-made spacers on top of those so he's about +5-6" total I'd guess...

...I am also waiting for the CVs to start exploding on this rig. I've killed one on my own rig and with even heavier tires he's going to be asking for trouble I fear.

With the spacers; just some aluminum round stock with bolt holes ala earlier model rovers? I ask b/c at some point when I'm done-particularly whenever I get to my aux fuel tank-I may want to do about 1/2" or so in the back to adjust the cant of the vehicle.

Welcome back BTW!
r-
Ray

unseenone

Explorer
Have any of you run across an alternative to the Toddco coil spring 2" spacers.. I've got a buddy in Australia looking for a set. Unfortunately it seems toddco has no phone # and does not answer e-mails, or deliver product.

zelatore

Explorer
With the spacers; just some aluminum round stock with bolt holes ala earlier model rovers? I ask b/c at some point when I'm done-particularly whenever I get to my aux fuel tank-I may want to do about 1/2" or so in the back to adjust the cant of the vehicle.

Welcome back BTW!
r-
Ray

Actually, it's not even that advanced. I think he's got sections of square tube bolted in above the spring. It has been a few months since I saw it though so he may have made some changes. He said he had a heck of a time with the handling at first but eventually got it aligned reasonably well and it's drivable now but it's not a daily by any means.

zelatore

Explorer
Have any of you run across an alternative to the Toddco coil spring 2" spacers.. I've got a buddy in Australia looking for a set. Unfortunately it seems toddco has no phone # and does not answer e-mails, or deliver product.

I suppose you could just use the Proud Rhino spacers with coils too.

unseenone

Explorer
Does Proud Rhino make spacers?

No-- not at all. It's for a friend in Australia. He already has springs, HD and he needs 2" spacers for a spring suspension. I'm satisfied with my air suspension at this stage. I've had a good chat with him, I understand why he needs them.

zelatore

Explorer
Does Proud Rhino make spacers?

No-- not at all. It's for a friend in Australia. He already has springs, HD and he needs 2" spacers for a spring suspension. I'm satisfied with my air suspension at this stage. I've had a good chat with him, I understand why he needs them.

They sell them for air suspension trucks as 'bump stop extensions', but really all they are is a 2" fabricated spacer that fits between the top of the strut and the chassis mounting point. While it doesn't provide any lift to a truck on air since the height sensors just adjust the ride height to accommodate, they keep the truck from dropping as low if you have a suspension failure. On a coil truck, they would basically be a spacer lift like you see on some Jeeps/etc.

Fair warning though - they come with limit straps to keep you from reaching the fully extended state. Apparently adding 2" to the stock down-travel can result in excess CV angles, particularly in the rear. Lucky8 (who sells them in the US and helped develop them) reportedly broke a couple rear CVs before adding the straps. The catch is the straps aren't well designed since they are trying to make this a fully bolt-on kit so they use only existing points. This doesn't give a very good mounting location for the straps. Some of us had problems with the straps; I was running the kit and removed it. There are existing threads about the kit here already, so I'll stop clogging up this thread for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94