Lower budget fridge? Iceco?

direwolf82

I was clear in stating you do you, my advice does not pertain to your situation.

There are only a few makers of quality deep cycling batteries capable of delivering many years of reliable service. Starting with new units of those, and knowing how well **you** have coddled their care every cycle, is what gives assurance of longevity.

Someone else caring for it even just 50 cycles, could inflict 300 cycles worth of wear or even push it past EoL.

OK. Just saying that I've run several batteries that weren't on your list. New and used and never had an issue so it's possible that just because it's not your two picks doesn't mean it's going to take a dump on you randomly.
I'm still very curious how people stay remote for a year plus, please explain as that's very interesting to me.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Sweet5ltr

I've owned an ICECO JP50 for 8-months so far, leave it powered on inside the house as a secondary freezer / fridge. No complaints, works very well, picked it up on sale for a little over $400. I run a home built 40Ah LifePO4 battery pack w/ solar input, my last experience using it on a trip I got anywhere between 32 / 36-hours out of it in the shade with ambient temps around 80 - 85*. The fridge is normally in ECO mode, set at around 32 - 34*. There are a lot of variables here, but with 100W solar input to supplement, I would have no problem running this for a very long time.

Great aspect of LifePO4 batteries, is that they easily accept amperage, can use nearly all their available watt-hours / amp-hours without harm, and are very efficient at recharging. My NOCO 10-amp lithium charger, will have this pack ready to go back out in (4) hours for another 32 - 36 hours of runtime. With a Honda E2200 (or similar) inverter generator, that's generally a 1/2-gallon ($1.50) worth of fuel if solar isn't an option.

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
I'm still very curious how people stay remote for a year plus, please explain as that's very interesting to me.
Not completely remote from normal supplies like water food fuel etc

talking about places where these (very few quality brands of true) deep cycling batteries are normally sold or

worst case can be shipped in without too much added cost, hassle with customs etc.

Irian Jaya as opposed to Singapore for example

Rebelord

Semper Fi
My ICECO just failed on me on Day 2 of a 9 day trip. Way out in the middle of SW Utah. Not happy, its the not first time I had temp issues.

Bluedog225

Observer
Any update on the warranty service? I was thinking about a 60L at half the price of an engel.

From the Amazon site:

• ※ 【Warranty & Services】 - 5 year warranty on the compressor and 1 year warranty on all other parts. Customer service phone line is available and your Amazon messages will be answered within 24 hours including on weekends.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
ICECO 12V Refrigerator.....November 2019 I purchased an ICECO VL45 portable refrigerator. Works wonderful, but while at the Overland EXPO East, the compressor started to make a loud noise upon start up. Lasted about 45 seconds and then would quiet down to a slight hum. Still worked great, but noisy. When I returned home I emailed ICECO with my issue. They asked me to take a video with audio of the issue and send it to them, which I did. Within hours I received a reply that they were sending out a new refrigerator........Four days later it was on my door step. No request to return the other one. I was blown away by the amazing customer service.....But then today I received, in the mail, a very nice insulated coffee mug with sincere apologies for my refrigerator having an issue!....My suggestion, if you are in the market for a 12V refrigerator/freezer....ICECO!!!

transalper

Explorer
I am super happy with my IndelB TB51. It has a low amp draw. Same compressor as ICECO I think. We have taken it on a lot of rough, dusty trails. And has been running full time for about 18 months now. Pretty quiet. Zero problems and highly recommended.

john61ct

Adventurer
When I returned home I emailed ICECO with my issue. They asked me to take a video with audio of the issue and send it to them, which I did. Within hours I received a reply that they were sending out a new refrigerator........Four days later it was on my door step.
Where did you purchase it?

email address you used please

REF

Timely article, although doesn’t really cover budget options in the least.

I’ve been using a Truckfridge T130 in our rig, and many of the van upfitters are using them too, no issues and the price was below what other comparable units go for. They make portable units that definitely fit the “budget” category. Take a look at their portable steel units for combo fridge/freezers, although it looks like they’re currently all sold out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REF

Indel-B makes Truckfridge, as well as

Evakool, Isotherm, Vitrifrigo, Tundra, OEM for Peterbilt & Kenworth

Yes, the Truckfridge line is a lower price point and often has less bells and whistles, no fancy stainless fronts, latches, etc. but contain the same compressors and boxes as Indel-B’s more well known, higher priced branded lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

67cj5

Man On a Mission
You might want to take a look at the little SnoMaster LS35 it measures 13.38"W x 16.33"H x 24.40"L, The Air Vents are at the front on the sides, It has the fastest cool down I have ever seen on a fridge, I bought it because Both of my 2 ARB's are too big and my little Dometic is a bit small for weeks away or Shopping to stock up at home.

It has 3 power settings and the internal Temp stays within 0.7*c variation during it's On and Off Cycles, On average it is closer to 0.5*c. Which makes very suitable for carrying Medicines etc.

john61ct

Adventurer
Is it energy efficient?

They have a rep for being thirsty no good for off-grid solar use, but that might just be some models.

Also some are just relabeled from other makers, e. g. Whynter iirc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94