Low BTU AC options ---> turned cheapo 5kBTU install in the Idacamper2.0

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yeah, Ive considered the road grime...

Fortunately the little AC unit is very light.
Easy to pull out and blow out if I ever needed to.

And considering how seldom we will actually use it, it will probably be wrapped up more than in use anyhow.
But for blistering hot trips, it will be an absolute joy :cool:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
A better shot of location of things.

Coming along. In the middle of a tear down for refinishing the exterior, as well as a few changes ( like this AC )

49800247527_45fa65c366_b.jpg

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Glad I stumbled across this. Planning on installing a window unit like this in my 99 hallmark, but didn't want it completely hanging out the back like most you see. I plan on doing something very similar to this. I have an 8k BTU though so hoping it isn't too much for my small space. Definitely isn't insulated nearly as well as yours though.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Free advice from one who has been there and replaced window units. Looking at your picture, I believe that you need MUCH more ventilation to the condenser side. I would recommend opening the roof and covering with a solar panel. (With a proper water dam and possibly a screen as well.)

Don't ask why I suggest this. :(

As always, YMMV.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Only time and real world use will tell.
But there is no way Ill ever consider opening up the roof.

I have roughly 65 square inches of ventilation around the unit, + the small vents.
If it isnt enough, Ill add a fan to draw more from the vents, to aid in cooling.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader

I have roughly 65 square inches of ventilation around the unit, + the small vents.
If it isnt enough, Ill add a fan to draw more from the vents, to aid in cooling.

Hard for me to really comment without seeing the A/C in the hole. I burned up a few A/C's before I realized that Provan had not made provision for fresh air feed to the condenser - that fan pulls a LOT of air from the sides and top, depending you your model.

And you probably can't get it from the rear as that is where you are discharging your heat. Earthroamer was, at one time, using a classic RV refrigerator vent in the roof. I ended up with an electric radiator fan, controlled with a PWM speed control, to force air in from the top. All placed under one of the solar panels for rain protection.

If your cutout leaves about six inches around the A/C, you may be safe. I fear that the louvered vent in the photo will not begin to allow enough air flow. Start by measuring the vents on your A/C. This is one reason why some actually stick the condenser side outside the camper shell. Ugly as sin, but it does assure enough air flow. Can't say more without actually seeing the beast and feeling the air flow when it is installed.

Good luck!

broncobowsher

Adventurer
To get hot air out of the condenser you need to allow not so hot air into the condenser. Airflow may be a one way street, but if either end is a dead end you won't get any flow.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Im well aware of how ACs work, but thanks :ROFLMAO:

FYI, this setup has more clearance around the unit than a similar thru-wall setup.
I'm confident it will work. It will come down to just how efficiently it will work ;)

best-through-the-wall-air-conditioner-4.jpg

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I am only familiar with A/C's like your second picture - ones that pull from the side or top. Does the A/C in your first picture pull from the back? Or is there space between sleeve and the A/C itself?

The Artisan

Adventurer

I would try that like I stated before my neighbor is a Residential AC tech and he said min 1 to 2 feet on each side or it will burn up quick. Maybe run till cool and turn off, let your insulation do the work
If it does not work get the 8k through the wall. Only vents in the back
Kevin

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Maybe run till cool and turn off, let your insulation do the work

That's how ACs work ;)

Like I said guys, I have no doubts this will work, but only time and use will prove just how well it will.
And as a last ditch option, I can add a fan to increase the volume of air drawn thru the side vent.

A thru-wall setup is nothing special. Only difference is that it uses a smaller core, to allow airflow into the unit.
And to show what Ive been talking about, with regards to amount of area for airflow....

This is the rear of a typical thru-wall AC unit. This unit does not draw air from the sides, top, or bottom, only the rear.
And the size of the core is considerably larger than the cool air intakes.

Dispatcher_RequestType_Image&Name_U24051640__19839.1586381997.jpg

Dispatcher_RequestType_Image&Name_U24051643__20710.1586381995.jpg

Dispatcher_RequestType_Image&Name_U24051641__28067.1586381999.jpg

The Artisan

Adventurer
True but I am saying do no let it cycle physically shut it off when you feel it is cool enough. I will be following to see how long your $100 ac lasts. I hope it works that way I do not have to use my ttw 8k.
Although it does have heat as well
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles