Lets talk shovels

D

Deleted member 9101

That’s how much real maxxtrax cost, and we don’t think anything about how everybody and their brother has a set or 2 of those strapped to the outside of their vehicle

Key difference: a "real" Mwxxtrax is more durable than the Chinese copies.

An expensive, bespoke shovel digs no better than one from Lowe's.

jdlobb

Adventurer
Key difference: a "real" Mwxxtrax is more durable than the Chinese copies.

An expensive, bespoke shovel digs no better than one from Lowe's.
yeah, but how good they are is pretty irrelevant to the wisdom in strapping $600 worth of equipment to the outside of your truck.

My $60 shovel is strapped ontop of my $60 chinese x-bulls though.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I avoid cheap Chinese junk like the plague.

Two shovels that have caught me eye recently is the RoamBuilt V-nose featured in the Winter 2020 issue of Overland Journal. It looks good but neither OJ or RoamBuilt gives any dimensions. I need to know the size before buying. It’s all aluminum so no rust issues.

The other interesting shovel is called the King of Spades from Gemplers. They do give dimensions and I think possibly too small. It’s all steel so likely would rust if stored outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
That’s how much real maxxtrax cost, and we don’t think anything about how everybody and their brother has a set or 2 of those strapped to the outside of their vehicle

I carry four but they are locked down.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
I use a US made military "E-tool" just like I had in the Marines.

They are very solid and fold up into a very small package. The shovel head will rotate 90 degrees so you can use it like a Hoe. It also makes a really good seat when, uh..., nature calls...

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

Full size shovel in cam lock mounts on 3d printed stand-offs held to the bed with 4x4 pieces of 3M VHB double sided foam tape.

It's nice to have a good home for it that is out of the way and easy to get to.
The cam lock hangers don't require fine motor skills to use ( you don't need to take your gloves off ) to get things in and out.

Last edited:

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
This is the shovel that I referenced a few posts above.

For you non military folk, this is what we called an E-Tool or Entrenching tool. That's a size 10 crock for scale. The shovel is light weight but can take a beating. It's tri-fold so it stores in a pouch the size of the shovel head. Very compact. Since the head can fold at 90 degrees, it's great for scooping out slop from under a vehicle. It also serves as a stool. So you can dig a cat hole with it and then bend the head to, uh, do your business...

They can be found new from military surplus stores for 30-40 bucks. Make sure it's stamped US. There are some imports out there that are no where near the caliber of the US made ones.

IMG_3299.JPGIMG_3298.JPG

krick3tt

Adventurer
I like the little flairs on the top of the head of the Fiskars, they make for a much better grip with your foot and increase the 'push' power. Full lifetime guarantee,too.

krick3tt

Adventurer
MiamiC70,
I cannot begin to tell you how much sleep I am not losing by having my overland cred being in jeopardy by not spending $300 on a shovel. But of course that is said with all humor.
When I was in the Navy in Viet Nam in '65 the Admiral was visiting the carrier, stopped by the mess deck where I was sweeping floors. He asked me, after reading my name on my shirt, if I was related to a another very famous Admiral. When I told him that I was, he and I sat down at one of the tables and chatted like regular guys for 15 min or so. That is real cred. No one has ever topped that.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
MiamiC70,
I cannot begin to tell you how much sleep I am not losing by having my overland cred being in jeopardy by not spending $300 on a shovel. But of course that is said with all humor.
When I was in the Navy in Viet Nam in '65 the Admiral was visiting the carrier, stopped by the mess deck where I was sweeping floors. He asked me, after reading my name on my shirt, if I was related to a another very famous Admiral. When I told him that I was, he and I sat down at one of the tables and chatted like regular guys for 15 min or so. That is real cred. No one has ever topped that.

I've always been amazed and admired by those (both men and women) that are incredible intelligent, powerful and humble. The one's that are in-charge of thousands yet, remember your name and a small detail about you and will just stand and talk with you like your beer drinking buddy.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I've always been amazed and admired by those (both men and women) that are incredible intelligent, powerful and humble. The one's that are in-charge of thousands yet, remember your name and a small detail about you and will just stand and talk with you like your beer drinking buddy.

Getting way off the subject here but I remember the first time I had to give a report to my ship Captain. I was very nervous but stumbled through it. When done he asked where I was from. Turned out we only lived a few miles apart so we too chatted some. But not like old beer buddies. I was only 19 at the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles