Lets talk about camp lights

Umbrarian

Observer
looks like i'm in the majority so far

WE TOLD HIM TO KNOT TO bring a Coleman lantern

a new PROBY member of our canoeing group brought a double mantle Coleman lantern so he could watch the camp fire

WE TOLD HIM TO KNOT TO...

as soon as he got it filled pumped up lit and set it down so he could see the camp fire one of the senior members of the group casually walked over and picked it up

once in hand it was carried 25 paces away into a clearing and placed on a non-combustible spot of dirt

upon returning to the camp area the afore mentioned senior member of the group calmly turned and drew

the report was immediately followed by a huge fire ball(we all wear safety lenses in our every day eye wear) about 25 paces from camp :-O

the PROBY was instructed to police the area in the morning if he wanted to come again

HE DID a real well job of cleaning the mess leaving absodadgumlutely no evidence of the incident

BACK TO HEADLAMPS CANDLE LANTERNS AND THE CAMP FIRE ;-)

T

Lighten Up, Francis.

perterra

Adventurer
looks like i'm in the majority so far

WE TOLD HIM TO KNOT TO bring a Coleman lantern

a new PROBY member of our canoeing group brought a double mantle Coleman lantern so he could watch the camp fire

WE TOLD HIM TO KNOT TO...

as soon as he got it filled pumped up lit and set it down so he could see the camp fire one of the senior members of the group casually walked over and picked it up

once in hand it was carried 25 paces away into a clearing and placed on a non-combustible spot of dirt

upon returning to the camp area the afore mentioned senior member of the group calmly turned and drew

the report was immediately followed by a huge fire ball(we all wear safety lenses in our every day eye wear) about 25 paces from camp :-O

the PROBY was instructed to police the area in the morning if he wanted to come again

HE DID a real well job of cleaning the mess leaving absodadgumlutely no evidence of the incident

BACK TO HEADLAMPS CANDLE LANTERNS AND THE CAMP FIRE ;-)

T

The senior member is an idiot. Not something I would have to worry with, I dont hang around with folks who are camp nannys

Last edited:

perterra

Adventurer
Not a fan of a lit camp. I do use a headlamp when wandering around and a candle lantern or Streamlight Seige when light is necessary. I love the candle lanterns for soft aesthetic light and the Streamlight when more and steady light is needed. I almost never do campfires anymore. Too risky in the dry mountain west during the times I travel.

A Coleman is a task specific tool. It's not one to sit around under and try to see the stars or watch the campfire (not sure I understand needing light to watch a camp fire, but if you are filleting 50 sandbass, a Coleman is hard to beat. As soon as the task is finished, you put it out. Horses for courses kinda thing.

Heavyopp

Observer
I recently bought a 3 pack of those 3 aa collapsible led lanterns from costco — they had been around awhile and I never really paid them much attention — I happened to catch them on sale so I took a look

Turns out they have 4 modes — high and low white light then a solid red and a red flasher

Been using one around the house, it actually a decent little light

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I recently bought a 3 pack of those 3 aa collapsible led lanterns from costco — they had been around awhile and I never really paid them much attention — I happened to catch them on sale so I took a look

Turns out they have 4 modes — high and low white light then a solid red and a red flasher

Been using one around the house, it actually a decent little light

I use my headlamp all the time around the house, comes in really handy when working on a rig and need focused light while freeing up your hands.

pluton

Adventurer
Since it has been mentioned about night vision I thought I would add these notes. Most know that using a red light will help in preventing loss of night vision. It is not so much the red as it is the lack of blue light. Blue light causes a reaction in the eyes that takes longer for vision to recover from.
When choosing lighting and concerned about loss of night vision chose a light with a color temp of 5000 Kelvin or less. While the light might not be pure 5000 Kelvin it will contain less Blue. This is why most use Red for use at night because of the lack of Blue. This is one of the reasons that a campfire is so pleasing as it is around 1850 Kelvin the same color temp of sunrise and sunset.
The flashight and headlamp manufacturers have been seriously negligent in not providing warm, tungsten-incandescent colored LED lighting. It has existed for at least 10 years and is used every day in film and TV lighting. I'm tired of the ugly, cold blue LEDs.

MOguy

Explorer
I like light available (not necessarily turned on) around my camp spot, especially when setting up. I spent years in a Light Infantry Unit and my days of working limited visibility and night vison are long behind me. I have a nice little rechargeable LED lantern that throughs out a decent amount of light, usually more than enough for the campsite. Once everything is set up and it is relax time then a campfire is just fine.

I do carry and extension cord with 5 or 6 LEDs than I can plug into an inverter. It buts out ALLOT of light. It is great for repairs or situations when you need to see what you are doing. You can light up the underside of a vehicle without casting shadows. I am not lighting up my camp with it unless there is an issue where you need good visibility. I like to have it available if needed.

Last edited:

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I share many of the sentiments already shared. In general camp light is the fire. Most of the time no lights are on when sitting around camp. There are occasional exceptions. I do carry a LED lantern I can hang up. Last time I did it was a cloudy night and raining, I put it up for walk around light in camp since there was no ambient light at all without it.

I carry a headlamp for just general see what I'm doing light. Actually I have about 4 of these and stash them in various places: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/150l-2pk-headlamps/prod19541204.ip

My favorite feature of those is the red light, I can click it on for a minute in camp and not ruin my night vision. I do kinda hate headlamps, I find them uncomfortable to wear for any length, but around camp I can't beat it. A lot of the time I twist the band and wrap it over my wrist instead of wearing it on my head as it gets uncomfortable and just put it on when I need it. I always carry a regular flashlight in my pocket, but around camp it is usually too cumbersome to tie up a hand.

This is my truck lighting, pretty much only used for setup or if I need to get in the truck. I have an awning light on there as well you can see but it's rarely used, but I like lots of light if I were to need it. The door hatch lighting is probably my most used practical mod on my truck. The back hatch OEM light is red so I can kill the white lighting and keep night vision if desired.

2KkVWXo7v5bJwTQY5_eetW0r8Joywhf6QqPCyrBRAPPO8DMpFL4yWXjGpzwLcaZrOjyJ_HDiDX9z9fwhedXqHg7JMWxQz898sdkbeWl9vNs8Vl9QMD0Ndp6WHK7Uoz-aSWvVzHd4TdDchF3Sn8Cfjru5nJCVxxvVtKkf2ZWcacdKEgZ8BhgPMVPJHjaN09TJQlkEJ4SPPiJlpo73KndADyZzjxOpBJwVYjoGcboOP9sgbnnGkzAX3p2dgBK0wIgmGsIaFYNzsDxwXk_-gLopf5M9RaAO1lZ2N38mmreJXl94dHXMnXFuIGtUIxdTGl6KoKtCSFRilKnxpBh880Afv3y35-QEdhY26Htdf5HkHZ7T5DuE7pybzap6ZjVwGmmsbp4WfNrjac8hUlX_wyGMODasOT1VMm_pddgrd5nvIUgQzsb8b573o3nuiZlXkBru0R9_i5Qhs9AHrndZhXPPg26GOkT9EYZGJRY8GyC0JuXNTKJ8MILeW_vrckJNKJun8n799cnIGzRBxZFKgW9Lbz0xVRyJ3AeRfX6S4Sz_q0ml-0WJFXOPxwcCTN0TF48AdpR8qllJ8XdLCaqKFKVXv5xEm4tzqZHpaxtUKScvUYgHkrtoLJ07rEcNAOcZDNseEJ3h8d5lSDZqeoA4oKXQ9uJMJUwJKOAxNHKEvyuSnSxp5EimlE98rAhA1PBvBX8CZnP8149KULsrhReaTQ=w955-h716-no

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
The flashight and headlamp manufacturers have been seriously negligent in not providing warm, tungsten-incandescent colored LED lighting. It has existed for at least 10 years and is used every day in film and TV lighting. I'm tired of the ugly, cold blue LEDs.

This is one of the reasons that I use the same 120 volt LED bulbs in the tent that I use at home...
No need for an overly bright glaring lantern in an emergency... (have 2 unused Coleman dual fuel lanterns that will never get lit).
DSCF0224.JPG
The candle lantern sits on the museum shelf, in remembrance of more primitive days...

I normally use a pendant, globe, ceiling light or occasionally a collapsible floor lamp in the tents.
DSCF0175.JPGtent interior labor day 2016 DSCF0248 2.jpg

Enjoy!

kdeleon

Observer
A collection of headlamps, as they always get misplaced by kiddoes.
A magnetic rechargable LED bar i use for mostly kitchen/tailgate section. Use as needed.
Coleman lantern. I prefer the natural light, a good substitute for keeping a mellow ambient lighting especially with the absence of a campfire.

dcg141

Adventurer
Wow..I have a lot of light...lit up like Christmas tree if I have to be. From head lamps to lanterns, gas and battery to a 8 foot strip of architectural exterior led lights along my trailer and a 40 foot led rope light I'm not short of illumination. Most of can be softened and I don't run them all night of course. But when I'm setting up which always seems to be in the dark and cooking after dark I'm going to see what I'm doing. Why would anyone shoot a gas lantern???

Boatbuilder79

I like my gas lanterns. I will continue to use them. Nothing works better for setting up camp after dark or for cooking.

If my lantern offends anyone they can deal with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke