Lets talk about camp lights

85_Ranger4x4

I use Coleman duel fuel lantern for dinner, then fire light. And headlamp. But if we bring the camper, we have awning lights. But we cut them off early.

Similar, old 220 for working light and then firelight/flash light after that.

No headlamp though, I just turn the clip around on my penlight and clip it on my hat bill.

The old Colemans are pretty fun/cheap to work on too, I have accumulated a five of them so far. I just picked this one up for a "user" because it wasn't perfect and it was cheap so I wouldn't have to worry about it getting hurt. I paid $3 for it on a garage sale, $12 for the globe, $4 for a nicer vent (original is in background) and $3 for a nicer collar. So for $22 and an afternoon it makes for a nice 10' looker.

It is a 220J, the same model dad had when I was a kid, his is 2 years newer. They are a really fun winter tinkering project.

dcg141

Adventurer
Similar, old 220 for working light and then firelight/flash light after that.

No headlamp though, I just turn the clip around on my penlight and clip it on my hat bill.

The old Colemans are pretty fun/cheap to work on too, I have accumulated a five of them so far. I just picked this one up for a "user" because it wasn't perfect and it was cheap so I wouldn't have to worry about it getting hurt. I paid $3 for it on a garage sale, $12 for the globe, $4 for a nicer vent (original is in background) and $3 for a nicer collar. So for $22 and an afternoon it makes for a nice 10' looker.

It is a 220J, the same model dad had when I was a kid, his is 2 years newer. They are a really fun winter tinkering project.
My 1935 220B next to my 1979 220K. The K's were the last of the 220's but finding pre 34 220's is really difficult. The 35 model fired up with just a cleaning.

Attachments

• coleman.jpg
    coleman.jpg
    704.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 220B.jpg
    220B.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 35

85_Ranger4x4

My 1935 220B next to my 1979 220K. The K's were the last of the 220's but finding pre 34 220's is really difficult. The 35 model fired up with just a cleaning.

I go back to an E, it seems beyond that they get pretty scarce.

I would like to snag a K, I might get into the later CLX/Powerhouse ones too that replaced the 220 since they are pretty cheap/available yet.

My oldest is a '61, newest 220 is a '76. I have E, F H, J which is in sequence (they skipped G and I) The little CL2 with a period case was both made the same month/year as my truck, 2-85. I have a dual burner stove too that actually was my dad's but they don't really display well.

It all started when a customer gave me the H he got in a box of stuff at a garage sale, she runs perfect and looks brand new.

Ive gotta post my garage sale finds on here. Scored 3 laterns, 3 burner stove, a single burner propane, propane heater, and a ton of junk wife wanted for 80 bucks. It wont let me post the photo. Hmm..

dwh

Tail-End Charlie

geojag

I use the Milwaukee M12 lantern quite a bit. 3 brightness levels, can provide light 180 or 360, and has a USB charger. I also use their Bluetooth speaker and tire inflator when camping. In the summer I have a couple of Streamlight lanterns you can switch to red light, helps with the bugs.

Attachments

• IMG_20191124_142636.jpg
    IMG_20191124_142636.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Ive gotta post my garage sale finds on here. Scored 3 laterns, 3 burner stove, a single burner propane, propane heater, and a ton of junk wife wanted for 80 bucks. It wont let me post the photo. Hmm..
Nice! My grandpa had a 3 burner coleman that ruled our family reunion camping trips (along with a massive griddle that sat on it for making pancakes). I might have to track down one for big future trips.

frankthecampguy

Been using these things for 50 years. No issues so far. Anyone shoots one of my antique lanterns and I'll beat his fool ass to death with his own gun.

Dietz-Comet.jpg

This is a legendary lantern. I've used this lantern for almost 15 years. My lantern color was green. This one is not mine but the design is same.

78393f77a6d6df1599a099bf501357ac.jpg

WVI

Adventurer
I have one of those sitting on my front porch.....been sitting out there for about 20yrs and will prolly fire up.
When in Kuwait, We'd find them at abandoned sheep herder camps. They are still used all over the world.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I think I still have the mark from touching the nut on top of a coleman lantern. My gas lanterns are rusting away in the shed. I built these lights for barbecuing on a group trip I do. Doesn't blind the cooks like a lantern tends to.

Boatbuilder79

As much as I hat to admit it I have used these for my last 2 camping trips and left my Coleman’s at home. Just too easy not to use.

Also got the fan for my tent and a charger that uses a 12 volt socket so I can recharge the batteries with my truck or boat.

pluton

Adventurer
The gas lanterns make noise, and the liquid fueled ones make noise and death fumes. Since I live in a car-infested city, I seek to minimize burning chemical smells when out in the bush.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Since LED lighting became cheap and widely available in lower color temperature ranges; I would not go back to combustion lanterns (fluorescent lighting or candles or candle lanterns, or rushlights or a twist of lint in a teaspoon of lard/animal fat).

Others have differing desires though...obviously. Nothing, at all, wrong with that.

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles