• DSC_0126_clean.jpg
    DSC_0126_clean.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCN2081_sm.jpg
    DSCN2081_sm.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:

obxtiger

Bought this truck new in 2016 and initially leveled it and upgraded to Cooper STT Pro's in 295/65-20. At the time I was pulling a gooseneck horse trailer pretty regularly so I kept it mild. Like so many whose travel style has been impacted this year, the wife and I have changed our approach. This is what I've been working on over the last four months.

View attachment 618257
Jealous of the batwing awning. How is it working with your EZTopperLift? I was concerned about adding one because of the wind when the topper is raised. Do you have more pictures of your set up and attachments. I just added mine a few weeks ago.newest 125.jpg

roaminglost

Bought this truck new in 2016 and initially leveled it and upgraded to Cooper STT Pro's in 295/65-20. At the time I was pulling a gooseneck horse trailer pretty regularly so I kept it mild. Like so many whose travel style has been impacted this year, the wife and I have changed our approach. This is what I've been working on over the last four months.

View attachment 618257
this setup in awesome!

Jealous of the batwing awning. How is it working with your EZTopperLift? I was concerned about adding one because of the wind when the topper is raised. Do you have more pictures of your set up and attachments. I just added mine a few weeks ago.View attachment 619431

View attachment 619431
[/QUOTE]

I have not been overall impressed with the Topper EZ Lift. I think it is a great idea that feels like execution never progressed past beta testing. It would have been more helpful if they provided more pre-purchase insights; for example, they could let people know that the flange of the topper will have a tendency to sag when lifted and if you are buying a topper specifically to use with the lift, a reinforcement kit is a good option. My A.R.E. CX topper was available with an HD option that added 80/20 extrusions between the roof and the rail flange. I would have added that if I knew about the issue.

I spent a lot of time brainstorming both how to deal with the sag and support the awning when in the up position and decided to build what is essentially jack walls out of 2x4's. They are 72" in length and 16-1/4" tall. I raise the topper all the way up, then insert a jack wall on each side between the bedrail and the topper bed flange, then lower the EZ Lift down onto the support wall. They lock down tight and the entire thing becomes much more rigid. I just tried them out this past weekend camping with the wife and it was pretty windy; too windy to actually deploy the awning but, the topper did not budge all night.

I will try to get a photo of the setup. My wife thinks it looks a little Beverly Hillbilly so I'm going to paint the 2x4's black.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

View attachment 618257
At first I thought you had a replacement back bumper. But, now I see that is not the case. Wilco tiregate?

At first I thought you had a replacement back bumper. But, now I see that is not the case. Wilco tiregate?

It is the RIGd Ultraswing Megafit with a Front Runner drop down table and a jerry can carrier of my own making. The baskets that hold the Scepter water cans are actually from a Special Operations Polaris RZR. All in, topped off with water, I am right at the 250lb max load capacity for the RIGd carrier.

Bob

obxtiger

I have not been overall impressed with the Topper EZ Lift. I think it is a great idea that feels like execution never progressed past beta testing. It would have been more helpful if they provided more pre-purchase insights; for example, they could let people know that the flange of the topper will have a tendency to sag when lifted and if you are buying a topper specifically to use with the lift, a reinforcement kit is a good option. My A.R.E. CX topper was available with an HD option that added 80/20 extrusions between the roof and the rail flange. I would have added that if I knew about the issue.

I spent a lot of time brainstorming both how to deal with the sag and support the awning when in the up position and decided to build what is essentially jack walls out of 2x4's. They are 72" in length and 16-1/4" tall. I raise the topper all the way up, then insert a jack wall on each side between the bedrail and the topper bed flange, then lower the EZ Lift down onto the support wall. They lock down tight and the entire thing becomes much more rigid. I just tried them out this past weekend camping with the wife and it was pretty windy; too windy to actually deploy the awning but, the topper did not budge all night.

I will try to get a photo of the setup. My wife thinks it looks a little Beverly Hillbilly so I'm going to paint the 2x4's black.
[/QUOTE]
Thought about doing something similar and make removable hard side panels in stead of the canvas. I would have to figure out the rear opening and tailgate. I haven't even slept in mine yet so i may be rushing things.

Traildaddy

Hello!

I'm new to the site. I drive a 2011 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 i4 with Access cab as my daily and live in with a cot most of the time. I've had a couple XJs, I had Hiace diesel campervan and pretty nice Diesel Hilux pickup with a slide in when I was living in Australia (thats all my experience with Diesel). But now I've moved on to a Ford Diesel. I recently obtained this 1992 F-350 CC DWR 4x4 5spMan 7.3IDI with ATS turbo. I got it for next to nothing and it came with this Dreamer camper so I'm going to build it out and use it.

These are my beginning questions

I want to build this engine for longevity more than anything - best approach to that?

Thinking about lift, wheels and tire size (the camper is already tall) any suggestions?

Replacing the roof of the camper with heavier duty lumber so will add wieght, not a huge deal right? Also adding solar and batteries and that will be it for weight

I'll be switching the flat bed to one without tool boxes which will cut weight and removing the aux fuel tank built into bed

Just to start...

I'm going to have a lot of questions and was hoping you guys might be able to point me to people and places on this site (i.e- IDI folks? Need to learn about this motor). Also would be interested in starting my own build thread, if you guys know the best way to do that. I have a lot of plans with this and would like input if you guys have it.

Resized_20200919_084649.jpeg
Resized_20200919_093744.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online