Lets see some full size pictures...

GabAlmighty

Observer
GabAlmighty, I love the 81. When you say I6 what motor does it have specifically? I am a very big fan of gas straight 6 motors. I consider them as close to bulletproof as your going to get. I've seen some severely old and neglected ones just keep going and going. Maintenance was add fuel and an oil change was more like add some from time to time. Just kept going.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Honestly not 100%. Haven't really started digging into it yet. It's sitting at my shop awaiting ideas/funds/time for the summer. 4.9L as the post below yours stated sounds about right and wikipedia agrees.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Honestly not 100%. Haven't really started digging into it yet. It's sitting at my shop awaiting ideas/funds/time for the summer. 4.9L as the post below yours stated sounds about right and wikipedia agrees.

You will love that motor. Super strong, reliable, simple, great torque on the bottom end. Just a great motor. I had one in my first f150 and it was never an issue.

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Jumping in with both feet !!!

OK so stacks, low riders, leaners, hoppers....call them morons, idiots and whatever...
They have accomplished their aim : attention... yep you walked right into it...

I have always run lifted (4 to 6 inches) vehicles and large tires and had quite a few negative remarks over the years, gas guzzler, encroaching on and destroying wildlife habitat by driving on the beaches with those "big tires" including if I "was compensating for a minor body condition".

End product is we do what pleases us and as long as it doesn't interfere or impact others my view is go for it. Check some hybrid vehicle websites and see what they say about the ridiculousness of our lifted trucks!

I spend a lot of time in the USA and I respect the right to individuality that is prevalent in your country not to mention that you are never out of sight of an American flag.

G.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I understand that right to do as you please Beamer Pilot. Here is my concern. A lot of these trucks in my area are pulling boats. With the truck leaned so badly like that, do they have any weight on their front tires which is where the majority of the braking is done. One of the guys that has a truck where the rear bumper is almost touching the ground rolled his truck a few weeks back when swerving from a deer that ran out in the road.

I too had to swerve from a deer doing 70mph in my truck a few weeks back, and I had no issue. His problem was his truck is so out of whack suspension wise, he lost control and rolled the truck multiple times. Luckily, he was alone and walked away from this. Now I know he has a wife and a young son. I've tried to talk with him about how dangerous this is, especially when he had a heavy work boat attached to his hitch. Honestly, with the boat attached, I wonder if the front tires are even touching the ground sometimes???

So there is a major safety issue here with these stupid looking trucks

Beamer pilot

Explorer
I hear you, but it works both way and I often wonder the same about some trucks with excessive suspension lift augmented by a body lift running around here, land of freezing rain, snow and ice. A friend of mine rolled his lifted GMC dually pulling a lifted camping trailer (in the summer on dry road) and he was warned about it!! Part of the problem is people often don't understand their vehicles, if your lifted truck or bike for that matter enters the ditch don't try to turn back on the road and ride the ditch through the barbed wire fence!
If there is a danger to motorists around here the local authorities will pull you over and impound the vehicle. Not 100% foolproof but they occasionally invoke the Motor Vehicle Act and shut you down.
I agree with you common sense is not that common.
Sorry for the interruption, back to regular programing.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Papawheelie wins again. Man, I love your truck. If you're ever north of Sacramento CA look me up would ya?

Thanks. Getting ready for the final push to get it done. I am putting a uhaul box on back. I wanted a durable box that I can stand up in. Will have a bed, shower, cassette toilet, place to prepare food and hopefully enough room left over for a bike or two.

Last edited:

Raul B

Explorer
Thanks. Getting ready for the final push to get it done. I am putting a uhaul box on back. I wanted a durable box that I can stand up in. Will have a bed, shower, cassette toilet, place to prepare food and hopefully enough room left over for a bike or two.

do you have a build thread yet?

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Not yet. I wanted to get it done before I started one.

Yeah, don't make my mistake, my thread is two years old and I've done... almost nothing to it. Except added a center console since I started it. But big changes are coming to my truck soon :ylsmoke:

cent frum a smaert fone

UHAULER

Explorer
Papa, you may want to think about moving the front wall back, increasing the cabover section for a bed and decreasing the rear overhang. I ended up shortening the back of mine but it would have been better to move the front wall back and gain more cabover.

Your truck is sweet and I can't wait to see the progress.

untitled.jpg

129copy.jpg

164copy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz